Delta offering free WiFi on flights

It’s not your regular WiFi

Pretty much it is “regular WiFi” with a few limitations.

I used it a few weeks ago - the announcement in the cabin was that it was a preview of the new service on this flight.

You’ll notice that they say you need to be a Delta Skymiles member. They way it worked was that you had to log into the Delta App (maybe the website too? I used the app) and then that device was given access to the internet.

You can use multiple devices by logging in each device.

CAN I CONNECT ON MULTIPLE DEVICES AT THE SAME TIME?

Yes. Simply login with valid SkyMiles credentials on the device you wish to connect and enjoy fast, free Wi-Fi for the duration of your flight.

You can use streaming, but they block video calling - I expect the latency from the satellite connection would make it unusable anyway.

(a little more) more info at https://news.delta.com/mediakit/fast-free-onboard-wi-fi-your-questions-answered

As to airplane mode - that’s basically obsolete these days.

You’ll see that Delta describes their new WiFi service as "free Wi-Fi from pushback to park” which means you can be connected to WiFi during your entire flight including takeoff and landing.

Pretty much it is “regular WiFi” with a few limitations.

I used it a few weeks ago - the announcement in the cabin was that it was a preview of the new service on this flight.

You’ll notice that they say you need to be a Delta Skymiles member. They way it worked was that you had to log into the Delta App (maybe the website too? I used the app) and then that device was given access to the internet.

You can use multiple devices by logging in each device.
I was explaining Tulak’s prior use via his T-mobile phone which was limited to his phone before Delta offered general WiFi for free.

Last edited:
OK, so typically, everything is disabled upon entering Airplane Mode, but it looks like some (most?) devices then may allow selectively activating WiFi and/or Bluetooth while still disabling the cell connection (wiki seemed to confirm this).

I just checked my android phone, and that does seem to allow the selective enable.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I hope so, too. I default to American because I'm lifetime Gold, so I can select seats, use the Priority check-in and check a bag for free.

Remember when hotels charged $9.95/day (sometimes per device?) for Internet access? It was nice to see that go away after some started including Internet access in the room cost.

That $9.95 is now included in your resort fees?

OK, so typically, everything is disabled upon entering Airplane Mode, but it looks like some (most?) devices then may allow selectively activating WiFi and/or Bluetooth while still disabling the cell connection (wiki seemed to confirm this).

I just checked my android phone, and that does seem to allow the selective enable.

-ERD50

Yes. This is how it normally works.

As to availability, DAL is currently using two providers for Wi-Fi service; Viasat and Intelsat. Viasat is the product that has gate-to-gate service and is "free" for SKYMILES members. Currently, the following airplanes have Viasat:

757-200 100%
737-800 100%
737-900 100%

The following planes MAY NOT have Viasat and instead uses the older subscription model offered through Intelsat. The dates are when those fleets will be modified vary and while DAL shows specific dates, keep in mind that some airplanes will not be modified (lease terms or going to the boneyard shortly) and the ones that are, it won't happen overnight. It should be noted that most of the regional jets that are branded as Delta are NOT DAL and those fleets generally don't use the Viasat equipment so the "free" Wi-Fi will NOT apply.

A319-100
A320-200
A321ceo
A321neo

Here is a presser from DAL as of Jan 10th: https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/inflight-entertainment/onboard-wifi

Last edited:
Been flying Delta out of DTW for years. Just get me to my destination nearly on time and I'll be happy. DW's last experience with a severely broken foot and a wheelchair request leaves us less than satisfied. Anyway just fly the plane , give me my luggage in a timely manner and I'll be happy. WiFi for what ?

Last edited:
We are on our flight back from our Alabama/Lousiana trip and have had free WiFi on both flights (including the one I’m on now) so loving that!

I have never been able to get any airline's WiFi to work on my phone, no matter what I try.

I have never been able to get any airline's WiFi to work on my phone, no matter what I try.
Just flew Delta first-class domestic and business international. Both flights had signs saying free wifi, but it wouldn't actually pull data from the internet.

Anecdotal:

I mainly fly Delta wherever I go, and have never had trouble using the free WiFi onboard on my phone with my T-Mobile account. No problem getting connected, no problem surfing the net or using email. This has been perfect ever since the service has been offered, which is quite a few years now.

Anecdotal:

I mainly fly Delta wherever I go, and have never had trouble using the free WiFi onboard on my phone with my T-Mobile account. No problem getting connected, no problem surfing the net or using email. This has been perfect ever since the service has been offered, which is quite a few years now.

Same for me. I just got back from Europe and used it both ways without any problems.

I bought the Wifi both ways across the Atlantic on United. I think the prices were $22 and $26.

I could stream some live TV, even though they say no streaming supported.

United is doing a lot of fleet upgrades, called United Next, on the domestic narrow body aircraft.

Not sure what they're doing with the wide body intercontinental aircraft.

But their wifi isn't as fast as some of the systems out there yet.

I got Wifi for like $8 from Brisbane to SFO. Again got to stream for a lot of the way across the Pacific.

There are systems available for streaming live TV but not sure which airlines have adopted them yet. I'm not talking about what Jet Blue has been offering but next generation systems with things like bluetooth and streaming speeds.

Anecdotal:

Can you use it on your laptop or an iPad or do you have to use it on the phone because it's tied to your T-Mobile phone account?

Well it's free so I guess you can't beat free.

But if I was paying for it, I'd want to be able to use it on a larger device for longer flights.

Can you use it on your laptop or an iPad or do you have to use it on the phone because it's tied to your T-Mobile phone account?

Well it's free so I guess you can't beat free.

But if I was paying for it, I'd want to be able to use it on a larger device for longer flights.

Just the phone. Maybe if I were still w*rking I might want to use it on a larger device, but now I can't imagine wanting to do that.

Delta’s new free WiFi does require that you run their Delta app first to gain access. Otherwise, you can connect to the WiFi, but you’ll see no data.

This worked as advertised for me when they had a beta version on a flight earlier this year.

Anyone test speeds on the Delta wifi?

Particularly over water?

Particularly over water?

I’m leaving Hawaii… on delta flight and about to take off… I’ll test it but coming here wifi didn’t work work over water/ocean… not sure if that was flight specific or not.

Particularly over water?

I didn’t test the speeds, but did notice some lag while over Greenland/Canada. Very anecdotal though. As far as I can tell, it worked for most/all of the flight.

I only use it for light web browsing, texting, reading forums and such. I download shows/movies to my iPad, but a lot of the time I don’t even use the iPad during the flight.

Glad Delta went free WiFi. Hopefully other airlines follow suit. We had 2 recent flights on Southwest. WiFi didn't work on one. WiFi worked great on the other. Free live TV, movies, and texting, but internet was $8 for the flight. I watched a hockey game on my iPhone - I looked around - almost everyone was watching something.

Wasn’t able to test the WiFi on my flight from Hawaii because it wasn’t free…

Back
Top Bottom