Dental Insurance

Toddtheformeraccountant

Recycles dryer sheets
OK, how many of you have dental insurance? I'm considering a PPO, which allows me to go to more than the normal turnstile dental offices and get the same dentist for the long term...but the maximum benefit is essentialy $4,000 for a year for two of us, vs. premiums of about $1,800. Not the worlds greatest thing, it's not really "insurance" because they don't pay much. It would seem like better to just pay cash, but what am I missing?

.but the maximum benefit is essentialy $4,000 for a year for two of us, vs. premiums of about $1,800. Not the worlds greatest thing, it's not really "insurance" because they don't pay much. It would seem like better to just pay cash, but what am I missing?

That's really the case with all but the most subsidized (usually through generous employers) policies. If you use the preventive services (cleaning, occasional X-ray, checkup) twice a year as recommended, you just about break even. Most only cover a small (or no) part of any major repair work such as implants, crowns, etc. I maintain the insurance that used to be provided by my Megacorp before I retired, but in most year we just break even, so if it ever gets more expensive, I'll drop it with little remorse.

We found that most dental "insurance" is more of "pay up front" or "spread the costs over months rather than all at once." Most are very restrictive (what is covered, amount of coverage for each procedure and what dentists are enrolled.)

When I was at Megacorp, I had the real deal insurance. Any dentist at "reasonable and customary rates" coverage. 100% for prophylaxis. 50% for virtually everything else WITH a yearly max (forget - maybe $2500?) For this insurance, we paid (wait for it) less than $20/month. We came out way ahead every year. Prophylaxis at the time was probably $200 X 2 X 2 (then X 5 with the kids - I think it went to $25/month with kids.)

The deal of the century! One of the only things I miss about Megacrorp! For several years they even included that same dental plan for the retirees and kids to 26 - but eventually they dropped it.

My wife just got back from a cleaning last week. Dentist office said they no longer are taking Delta Dental. I researched and it seems Delta is getting tight paying the dentists. Enough to the point most dentists are now boycotting Delta. At least, I could not find one within 25 miles of me that will take Delta any longer.
I googled it and sure enough, they changed the coverage and left the dentists to fight for payments. Since my dental coverage is through my old employer as part of my retirement package, I'll call them next week to see what's going on and inform them of what I've come into.
Anyone else have a similar experience?

Back
Top Bottom