deteriorating health in my parents! Advice needed.

Yes even when mom was in a nursing home, there were volunteers who brought their own dogs in to visit. Recall talking with the woman, she said most residents loved her 2 dogs. Don't know anything about the allergy issues.

The IL/AL facility I am very familiar with allows pets. We also take our pet there when it's appropriate.

Potpourri of thoughts: When my dad needed to move into assisted living or a nursing home, (he was on the border of needing nursing home, but he was accepted into the AL, and later I hired a private aide to attend to his needs so he wouldn't end up in a nursing home) I visited several in the area. Most of them had a couple of very tame cats. Pets are a known boost to the morale of older people and the cats were happy and well fed and cared for and seemed to have favorite residents they visited.

Most assisted living places have regular outings. One of the outings is to see musical theater. Every theatrical production in our area, community and high school, does their dress rehearsal for "the old folks". One theater actually shares a parking lot with an assisted living place.

Last summer my husband did the musical "Reefer Madness" and yes, they did an old folks show.

When my dad was in rehab, recovering from a brain hemorrhage, I would visit every day I had off and some evenings. I'd take him in his wheel chair and we would go outside on the grounds. It helped him recover from the confusion he experienced. It was fall. I would point out the prettiest trees and we'd look at the diverse plants along the path.

A year later he was in assisted living, watching the stock market collapse and asked if he had enough money.

He had enough to take care of MY nursing home needs. What I want to give my son is the same lack of worry--that there will be a time when I can accept my fate, and he doesn't wonder how it will be paid for. It was still a troublesome time for all concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

In a similar situation with my father, but my mom still works. Unfortunately, it's up to the kids to suggest things that are unpleasant sometimes. We are working with mom to arrange in-home care for dad for the short-term. Some insurance covers it for acute cases (i.e. broken hips, or the like) requiring treatment and assistance, Medicare might cover some in-home help for short periods as well. I think I'd start there, obviously looking at finances.

In any event, I empathize and sympathize.

Thanks Nash, sorry to hear you are in a similar position, wouldn't wish it on any one. Suppose it comes with the teritory of getting older though

The IL/AL facility I am very familiar with allows pets. We also take our pet there when it's appropriate.

I think having pets/ being allowed pets is a fantastic idea, mind as long as the burden doesn't fall on the carer. they are spinning enough plates

Thanks Nash, sorry to hear you are in a similar position, wouldn't wish it on any one. Suppose it comes with the teritory of getting older though
As my mother often says, getting older isn't much fun but it sure beats the alternative. :)

Hi Dave, this is exactly my fear... forcing them into a home will just make them give up as they arent enjoying it. It's the resent that i fear and i dont want to make my parents last years not enjoyable. comforting to know that i am not the only one dealing with this dilema
An important aspect about moving into assisted living facilities is for many it can make life more, not less, enjoyable. Despite their limitations is gives them an opportunity to enjoy renewed social contact and relieves them of burden of some daily chores, such as cleaning and meal preparation, and may lead to a more healthful diet.

My personal experience is a neutral third party opinion from a qualified professional, such as a geriatric physician or psychiatrist, can be very helpful.

I have been going through something similar this year; mother, mid-80's, is in rehab for an event, her first. She doesn't want to stay in the facility, live with me or have in-home help. So, I am not sure what we will do long term. But, something will almost certainly have to change for her which will be hard after living alone for 30ish years.

Currently, I am taking as much vacation as possible and planning to end my OMY this year. Mom is going to need help; and, I am very tired of my current professional environment. So, the timing is good in that sense.

I have no real plan yet but do offer many thanks to those who have already shared experiences and insights here; there is no doubt that OP, I and others will benefit from this.

One thing I feel compelled to say. I don't get the people who say they or their family member "love" the Home. It sounds like happy talk to me. Just going to the doctor's office, as I have been doing a lot lately, and being surrounded by elderly, sick people is starting to depress me. You don't want to be in that environment 24hours a day with nothing to challenge or distract you except a bunch of ersatz "activities" which amount to occupational therapy and are geared to the lowest common denominator.

I don't think anybody loves nursing homes but independent living facilities with the option of assisted living they do love . It frees them from many chores while giving them social contact . By the time people need this environment they are no longer driving so they are usually socially isolated . My Mom's independent living facility has yoga , card games , movies , picnics and other activities . It also has a bus for transportation. I don't think the residents have given up . I think they are enjoying the last few years of their life with less worries for them & their children .

Reading this thread I was thinking about last weekend. After sailing with a friend spent night at his mothers house, where I've been many times and spent the night before. His mother is 91, still active as she can be, and most strikingly has a wonderful attitude and personality. Frankly, her attitude about life and aging is a stark contrast to many if not most of the elderly I've known. She's lucky in that two of her four children live very close and are a great support system, the other 2 do a lot as well but are further away.

She might have to go to an AL facility some day but I do believe she's the kind who would "make the most of it" and keep an upbeat attitude. Her personality is a stark contrast to that of DW's mother. I intend to keep this observation as a "life lesson" and not be a typical complaining "the world is all about me" person as I age. I know, good luck :)

I think having pets/ being allowed pets is a fantastic idea, mind as long as the burden doesn't fall on the carer. they are spinning enough plates
The facility I am familiar with is well taken care of. Of course that is reflected in the rent. At this stage (IL/AL), the clients are in apartments, and pets are responsibility of the clients. Of course as one progresses from IL to AL to advanced care, it becomes increasingly unlikely that the client has a pet.

A little bit of a tangent, but there are factors we can and can't control when we're younger that can delay the need for this type of care and/or admission into a home (which is not for me, IMO...). Substance abuse (everything from alcohol and tobacco on up) and significant trauma (broken bones and serious injuries, including head injuries) are things we can avoid to some extent that often take major tolls on our mobility and cognition later in life. My dad struggles more with mobility these days due to various joint issues, some of which were caused by injuries earlier in life.

It's always a priority of mine to maintain strength and flexibility above all else for that very reason.

Of course, there are myriad unfortunate circumstances we can't control which can be equally devastating to our independence as we get older...

A few words, coming at this from the other side. DW and I are in our late '70's, and can relate to almost all of the different experiences that have been shared here. While there are no easy solutions, having lived through the later years with dozens, even hundreds of friends and neighbors, there are a number of things we have done, or are planning to do, to ease the stress on our own children who are now in their late forties to late fifties.
I would not pretend to suggest that what we are doing is a model for others, but that it could be a starting point for planning the later years, and the eventual inability to live without outside help. The is no way to cover all eventualities, but there are commonalities that can be addressed in advance.

The money part is obviously a major factor in looking ahead, so I'll leave that for last.

For starters we did not have a lifetime attachment to our home, so spending many retirement years in socially active senior communities has made "leaving the homestead" trauma unnecessary. Often, older couples who have lived together find it easier to withdraw from the social scene, putting more of a burden on the children for advice and support. In our own case, we moved into a full faciity CCRC regular home, with natural support from the rest of the facility... social contacts, an available rehab/fitness facility, automatic transfer to the apartments, assisted living, nursinghome and Alzheimer facilities.

That does/did not mean giving up on normal activities, as we have until recently spent winters in FL and plan to go back this fall. What it does mean, is that we are well placed to make a sideways move... from freestanding home to apartment living, with all expenses in one rental amount, including meals and transportation.
The main point in all of this, is to be integrated into a community with social, mechanical, and legal support, as not to place heavy responsibilities on our children.

A second consideration is an attempt to preplan as much as possible, with frank discussions with our children as to our own wishes, and our mutual concerns for the future. The beginning part of this planning was to develop our wills and healthcare decisions, and to place them into legal documents.
We did all of this with all of our affected children present, and inviting their input. This was the initial framework, intended to cover the basics. The decision to do this was somewhat agonizing, as neither DW nor I were totally comfortable with opening up our inner feelings. As it turned out, the results were wonderful, and we have become even closer as a family.

Our next step, is coming within another few months, when we will all be together for a week. We'll have a few hours of discusssion about anything and everything. As I have shared here on ER, the likelyhood of Alzheimers is in the future for both of us. We feel this is the time for sharing our financial status and the management of assets as we go forward.

While all of this may seem to be a normal process that every family would go through with aging parents, our personal experience tells us differently. Conservativley speaking, fewer than one out of four situations involving families in this situation have moved forward without severe stress... physical, mental and financial. Mistakes that have had longlasting effects.

Some of the factors we will be discussing:
Tax planning, IRA's, Gifting, Decisions on Annuity, Nursing home... how and when, Home Health Aid, Inlaw apartment, decisions affecting Medicaid, Hospice and other alternatives.

The thinking behind this information and decision sharing, is to optimize whatever assets are there. By example, friend who made his own decision to go to a nursing home, so as not to be a burden to his daughter. Four years and $400,000 later he passed away, never knowing or realizing that she would have been happy to take care of him in her home, both for love, and to provide her with some retirement security.

Our goal is to avoid being a burden, and to prepare our children for the inevitable.

Good job, imoldernu! Having discussions and making decisions sooner rather than later is good for everyone involved.

One thing I feel compelled to say. I don't get the people who say they or their family member "love" the Home. It sounds like happy talk to me.

So much depends on the facility, the staff, and the individual. For sure there are rotten homes out there and that is in part why we want to be the ones to pick ours while we are in a position to be picky. We are more open to moving to a CCRC because of my mother's experience. Yes, she cried a bit when she moved from the house she'd lived in for nearly 40 years. But that house had also become a burden to her in taking care of it, the cleaning, maintenance issues, who to call if I couldn't fix it, and the like.

She also wanted to be very certain that she would not become a burden to her children as her mother had been.

Six months after she moved she said "I wish I had done this 10 years ago!" All the homeowner maintenance issues went away. She did engage in the activities, mostly day trips or short two or three day trips, or classes. Often it took me two or three days to reach her on the phone because she was out running around doing stuff. She had a great time for ~11 years and it was only during the last six months of her life that physical issues curtailed much (but not all) of that and she was in assisted living. I have not a word of complaint and many of praise for the place she was living.

Contrast that with FIL. He was terrified of nursing homes and never could understand that a CCRC was not the same thing, even after we walked through a couple with him. He was adamant that he was going to stay in his house the rest of his life. However, since he didn't have the money to do much of anything else, that was pretty much his life - staying home and reading books. He was active in the church but gee, when the highlight of your day is going to Burger King for breakfast I think something is missing. The only reason he could stay in the house as long as he did was because of the help that DW, I, and her siblings gave him, both in routine stuff cleaning/maintenance and some financial.

DW and I remain certain that he would have thrived in a CCRC. He was very social and could start a conversation with all but the most hard core of grouches. And the staff at the CCRC would almost certainly have kept a better handle on his blood sugar levels and he wouldn't have died the way he did.

Thirty years ago I would definitely have agreed with Amethyst and fully intended to stay in my own house for "the duration". But the experiences of the last few years have made me aware that that is almost certainly unrealistic and improbable. So we're trying to come up with an exit strategy that lets us do as much as we can for as long as we can and still makes assistance readily available when that time almost inevitably comes.

We are in the throes of this with MIL.

My parents were both independent till the end. My dad fell in love again after mom died - and my step mom is astute enough to recognize she was starting to need help. She sold her house and moved to an independent apartment in an assisted living community last year. She's 89. Only the year before (at age 87, at the time) did she give up teaching nursing students.

My MIL was caregiver for my FIL after he had mobility and brain aphasia...This worked for about 10 years. We built a small casita in our backyard that was wheelchair friendly - but MIL didn't like to live in San Diego -so they stayed here only 6-8 months of the year. He definitely became harder to care for with age. It became too much for MIL - but she would not admit it. Dementia was also an issue for her - so she was less able to recognize that the bedsores, his loss of weight, etc were an issue. Unfortunately, she was adamantly refusing to allow for in home care (didn't want "strangers" in her home) and social service got involved. Social service insisted a family member become guardian, or the state would. DH became guardian of both parents. It was an awful situation because his mother fought it and still things the doctors that dx'd her with dementia are part of a conspiracy. DH moved FIL to a nursing home the day after court. He died 9 months later at age 90. But he had less pain and had regained weight and most of his bedsores had healed.

It's now at a crisis point with MIL. She wants to be "in an apartment" in Philadephia. Currently SIL is checking on her daily, handling her shopping and errand running.. but she's burning out with the daily care. MIL is also getting more frail and the dementia is far worse in the past year.

MIL is originally from Philly and has 3 sons that live there. None of the sons are willing/able to do daily help for MIL so the only option is assisted living. DH is taking her to two assisted living facilities when they are there in May for a wedding. Both facilities have memory units that have small 1br apartments. She is dead set on an independent apartment... so it's going to be a HUGE fight when she is not given an option for a regular apartment....

It could be worse. My BFF is dealing with declining parents who are destitute. The dementia and physical issues are still manageable... but the writing is on the wall. She's currently contributing about $1k/month to their budget.

I joke (and it's truly a joke - I'm not serious) that my parents had the decency to die solvent and mentally intact. (They also died younger than my in laws and BFF's parents.)

MikeP good luck to you! Really hard dealing with two parents! I may weigh in more later, but currently with MIL and dealing with her issues, so can only use phone. My advice would be get PROFESSIONAL help - lawyers, doctors, etc. Don't try to do this without the experts.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

So much depends on the facility, the staff, and the individual. For sure there are rotten homes out there and that is in part why we want to be the ones to pick ours while we are in a position to be picky. <snip>

Thirty years ago I would definitely have agreed with Amethyst and fully intended to stay in my own house for "the duration". But the experiences of the last few years have made me aware that that is almost certainly unrealistic and improbable. So we're trying to come up with an exit strategy that lets us do as much as we can for as long as we can and still makes assistance readily available when that time almost inevitably comes.

This is exactly my plan. I am single, so don't have the option of "becoming a burden" to any offspring in my eventual decrepitude, even if I wanted to.

There is a very nice CCRC about 35 miles from my current home. It is affordable, and has very high ratings in all the areas that matter. They have independent apartments & homes, assisted living units, an Alzheimer's/Memory Care building, and full-time nursing home care for those who need it. Pets are allowed in independent living and assisted living units.

I have been researching all the CCRC's within 50 miles of here for several years, because I want to choose while I am still independent and of sound mind.

The best case scenario is I will move there in my late 70's or early 80's and remain in independent living for the rest of my days. But it will be a huge comfort knowing that all the other levels of care are available right there, with no need for further moves, if I require that. Not to mention that by that age, if not before, I will be very glad not to deal with the maintenance and repairs for the house and yard.

I have one much younger, extremely responsible, financially independent cousin who lives locally, and I have already instructed her that if I get the timing of the move wrong, and she notices me wandering into walls and/or spouting gibberish, she has my permission to bonk me on the head, pack my bags, and move me to the aforementioned place. :LOL:

Her parents moved into a similar (but much pricier) CCRC down the road two years ago, after two adverse health events. It was a huge relief not only to them, but to us as well. They have no more responsibilities of home ownership, and are so busy we have trouble reaching them on the phone most days. We sleep better at night, and they too wish they had made the move years ago.

I have been researching all the CCRC's within 50 miles of here for several years, because I want to choose while I am still independent and of sound mind.

The best case scenario is I will move there in my late 70's or early 80's and remain in independent living for the rest of my days. But it will be a huge comfort knowing that all the other levels of care are available right there, with no need for further moves, if I require that. Not to mention that by that age, if not before, I will be very glad not to deal with the maintenance and repairs for the house and yard.

I get the impression this is the plan for many of us here. It certainly is mine.

I've already tired of the work required of a homeowner (we have over two acres, mostly wooded), so we are in the process of buying a wonderful condo to simplify our lives. Total square footage is about the same as current house, so not as much downsizing as I would like, but that makes DW happy so it's worth it.

We want to live there as long as possible on our own, but eventually we plan to go to a CCRC to finish out our span of years. No specific age target for that, just whenever we start noticing that one of us is slipping.

We want to live there as long as possible on our own, but eventually we plan to go to a CCRC to finish out our span of years. No specific age target for that, just whenever we start noticing that one of us is slipping.
Based on experience, I'm not confident DW or I will either recognize or accept the "right time".

I understand that hope is not a strategy, but you have to start somewhere. Giving up a standalone house is enough of a step for now.

My MIL was living in an apartment in subsidized housing unit. Then she had a couple falls and hurt her back vacuuming. She went for rehab at a nursing home. DW started talking to her about AL. There was one nearby where several of her friends were already staying. DW took her to see it and she agreed that was a good idea. A couple days before her release from rehab, she said she had changed her mind and wanted to stay at the nursing home. She said they treated her well and she felt safe there. She also didn't want to move to AL and then back in the future. She spent the next 4+ years there contented with her decision. Her only fear was running out of money and being "thrown out on the street". Her last four months there she was out of money and on Medicaid. To their credit her care and treatment never changed.

Her last four months there she was out of money and on Medicaid. To their credit her care and treatment never changed.

No surprise there. The hands-on caregivers usually have no idea and don't care who is or isn't on Medicaid.

The problem for many (most?) in getting into the nicer ones is being able to show that they have enough financial resources to pay their own way for a reasonable amount of time. The place where FIL stayed said they lost about $100/day on Medicaid patients. That has to come from somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom