DGS

gayl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I asked my grandson if he'd applied for SFSU to get his teaching credential yet. Says it's 'in process.' He graduated SFSU w/o much debt (~7800 thru FAFSA but Biden's writing that off) and will owe 5k for that credential. Beginning to doubt why the credential is so necessary. He's already a resource teacher which he can do in a private school district. Ok here's where I think I'm wrong

His primary job is as a resource teacher in a year round school. (Music lessons, music & movement). He currently earns $28 hr with $2 hr raise coming. He makes as much as a primary school teacher

His secondary job is 1st chair in the Philharmonic. He'd play for free but fortunately that's not necessary. Honestly he's played on street corners during the holidays just for fun (mostly in the Castro ~~ kinda giving back)

I will encourage him but am I wrong?? He's quite young and still asks for advice

If you're talking about a teaching credential, my understanding is that those are typically required to work in public schools. At least, that's how it works around here; it probably differs by state.

Also around here, private schools pay better than public schools. But private schools may be religious, which may or may not be bothersome.

Also the school he's at may give him a raise if he has the credential. But they should be transparent about that.

If he were my DGS, I'd ask to see if he wants to teach in public schools now or in the near future. If so, or if he'd get a raise that would make the time and money worth it, then I'd encourage it. Otherwise I don't see why it would be worth the time and money.

What instrument? My DD20 plays viola and is a junior in music ed.

I think getting the credential is probably worth it and will give him a lot more flexibility in the future. In our district (also in CA), the lowest teacher salary works out to $31.31/hr, so it's already more than he'll be making after getting a raise in the private school.

I am not a teacher but I come from a family of teachers in California.
Yes, he needs his teaching credential. All of my family teach in public school systems but I believe most reputable private schools also require the credential these days.
Also, not having one might limit his options.

As a side note: both my oldest son and younger sister paid $5,000 for their teaching credential.
I guess inflation hasn’t caught up on that- yet.

Your DGS may wish to make the leap from private to public school sometime in the future.

Salary and benefits vary greatly by State and/or school district. Teachers in my public SD can make six figures (salary is based upon a combo of time in and education), get health insurance and a pension.

P.S. Your grandson is VERY talented. (Advise him to keep his ears open for a position in a good school district - he can check the salary and benefits before making any decisions - and network. He may make contacts through his night job . . . )

Last edited:
Will continue to encourage him. He's a French horn professionally but plays 7 instruments (as they all do)

Meanwhile DGS2 is moving to LA & I wish he'd go to college but between touring & recording he insists he doesn't have the time. Only 21 .... maybe he'll change

$5,000 for said credential? Seriously? This seems absurd.

Nonetheless, it appears that California has some pretty good incentives for NBCT certified teachers.

hhttps://www.cde.ca.gov/pd/ps/teachingleading.asp

Also, you listed his student debt at 7800....as in $7800.00? That is VERY LITTLE student debt, IMHO.

Last edited:
$5,000 for said credential? Seriously? This seems absurd.

Nonetheless, it appears that California has some pretty good incentives for NBCT certified teachers.

hhttps://www.cde.ca.gov/pd/ps/teachingleading.asp

Also, you listed his student debt at 7800....as in $7800.00? That is VERY LITTLE student debt, IMHO.
Yes. Seven thousand eight hundred student loan debt. The quote for just tuition was 5k. They have a townhouse and high rise apt between them. He has no other debt (paid cash for car, pays off cc each month, fully invested in Roth). Only 1 overseas trip since graduation. 50k yr leaves a lot left over. So far

Back
Top Bottom