did someone say 'draft'?

So....ah..... let's see if I've got this. We need to reinstitute the draft to bring more wealthy whites, both men and women, into the services, particularly at the enlisted level. We need to institute some kind of affirmative action program to bring more minorities and women into the officer ranks. Is that it?

Not to worry about any possible religious affiliation. Nords only referred to Protestants as part of a sterotyping acronym.

I'll email Reps Rangel and Murtha with an executive summary of our recommendations.

Thanks everybody for clearing this up. :)

brewer12345 said:
Eh, I don't feel like taking the bait today. Rangel is just playing politics and the proposal will go nowhere. If you guys want to join up, have at it.
that is the bottom line. It's just a go nowhere bill that has been around for 3 years now....

Nords said:
I'm a lapsed Lutheran turned apathetic. Like Scott Adams says, you won't learn about my religious big business preferences by reading my posts.

The issue is the acronym. WASP seems to get the point across for at least three-quarters of my purpose.

I briefly considered WASP/WASC/WASM/WASJ/WASH/WASS/WASB but it just seemed too cumbersome... anyone have a better acronym?
Not as far as I can tell in the submarine force.

But FWIW one of the Navy's most newsworthy new admirals (coincidentally a classmate) isn't noteworthy for being African-American-- it's because RADM Howard is the first flag officer from USNA to be a woman, as well as the first African-American woman to command a ship. So hopefully in 25-50 years our grandkids will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

WAS* seems to work.

Come to that, is WAS* a useful distinction? Is there still significant discrimination between Anglo-Saxon whites and non-Anglo-Saxon whites in the military? (Could be, I don't know.)

I guess that brings us to W***?

As an American of Dutch descent, whose people had no connection with the Angles or the Saxons, I encountered no special discrimination based on anything more than I was a dumb as a brick.

Back
Top Bottom