Running with a new hip?

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I'm expecting that I'll probably be getting a hip replacement within the next year. That doesn't concern me much, because it's a common procedure these days, but I wonder if anyone here has been able to resume running after ward?

I've been a runner (maybe you'd just call me a jogger ;) ) since I was in my 20s, and up until a couple of months ago I was still going 2-3 miles at least four mornings a week.

From what I've seen online, there are some people who have been able to take it back up again after getting a new hip. Maybe not most, but at least some. I'd really like to be in that group.

I'm in good shape, not overweight at all, and I don't overdo it. What are my chances? Have you done it?

I was a runner years ago, somewhat serious for 20 years. I now have TWO metal hips (wonderful things!), but my Doc said "No Running!". My golf game has improved significantly, though.

Sorry, I can't directly answer your question, but maybe this will help some, in the event you cannot resume running. I had heart stents 2 years ago, and I've been able to resume running. This has nothing to do with hip replacement, but I learned a few lessons: I don't run like I used to, shorter distances now and I run even slower than my pre-surgery slow pace. But I still get the running bliss. I was also a swimmer, and now swim more........and loving it more. I'm also biking more frequently. If you cannot resume running, I believe you can find other exercise activities to get those endorphins.

Can't offer anything but sending prayers and good vibes. I don't run...if I want to get sweaty, double my heart rate and get out of breath, there's pills that can do that for me.

Currently rehabbing my second metal hip.

Was a runner till age 40ish, then morphed into a walker. Last few years walking had become painful.
Now 67, retired and back up to 2 mile walks around the lake, 7 weeks post OP.
Thinking about trying for my old regular 3 mile trek but won't be too sad if I don't get there. I can almost keep up with 2 yr old grandson, thats good for me.

BTW, my Orthopedic surgeon says
NO running.

You will likely be physically able to jog but it will wear the implant out FAR faster than normal. It is not recommended.

I wish you well if you have it done. I don't believe they want you to run any way that is what I have heard from guys that have had it done.

If you see me running.... try and keep up.... I don't scare that easy...
But good luck. The Doc that put my pelvis back together said I'll need one within 10 years.

I've heard from several hip and knee replacement recipients that their doctors recommended no running. But I don't know distance/ speed, etc that the doctors find to be a problem.

OP - check with your doc and see what he/ she says. Maybe a couple of slow miles every now and then is ok. I don't know.

I've heard from several hip and knee replacement recipients that their doctors recommended no running. But I don't know distance/ speed, etc that the doctors find to be a problem.

OP - check with your doc and see what he/ she says. Maybe a couple of slow miles every now and then is ok. I don't know.
The problem is most hip and knee docs would recommend no running on "natural" hips and knees with no problems. So if you trust your doctor not to be one of those, or at least a reasonable one who is not in the no-running-ever-anyone camp, then trust their answer.

But it is a good idea to quantify what you'd like to do. A couple of 2 miles runs a week is a lot different from distance running, obvs.

My buddy got his first hip done recently and felt like the bionic man. He really wanted to run again but the doctor was so clear about that. On the other hand with medical technology improving so much why not run and just get new hips in 10 years!? Tough issue for sure! GOOD LUCK! P.S. I find high speed walking to be enjoyable these days. No, I don't get quite the same runners high I used to get but if I go for a 2 hour walk on a warm day I feel pretty good when I get home!

My buddy got his first hip done recently and felt like the bionic man. He really wanted to run again but the doctor was so clear about that. On the other hand with medical technology improving so much why not run and just get new hips in 10 years!? Tough issue for sure! GOOD LUCK! P.S. I find high speed walking to be enjoyable these days. No, I don't get quite the same runners high I used to get but if I go for a 2 hour walk on a warm day I feel pretty good when I get home!
A revision hip replacement(replacement of the replacement) is a much bigger surgery than the original replacement. Longer recovery and almost always worse end result. Many people can't even walk again without an assistive device after the second replacement. My neighbor had his replaced and hade a very bad limp and chronic pain the rest of his life. You should get your first hip replacement with the hope it is your only one.

A revision hip replacement(replacement of the replacement) is a much bigger surgery than the original replacement. Longer recovery and almost always worse end result. Many people can't even walk again without an assistive device after the second replacement. My neighbor had his replaced and hade a very bad limp and chronic pain the rest of his life. You should get your first hip replacement with the hope it is your only one.
In most cases, I would guess that's correct. But not always. I know someone who had five hip replacements (2 on one side, 3 on the other) and was still able to walk. So the skill of the surgeon becomes a big factor.

Plenty of good inputs, and I appreciate all the comments here.
My best guess is that my running days are behind me, which is a shame but I expect to get good exercise from cycling and rowing so it's not a total loss.
I'll update this when I eventually get the new hip.

^^^ This! Read and heed! I have an old neighbor that needed a revision and it was a B**ch of a recovery.

As one who has an artificial joint, I recommend brisk walking up hill to get the heart and lungs working, strengthening the muscles, and doing it all without having to pound the joint into an early failure.

As one who has an artificial joint, I recommend brisk walking up hill to get the heart and lungs working, strengthening the muscles, and doing it all without having to pound the joint into an early failure.
Yes sir! I could just visualize the shaft of the implant being pounded down further into your femur as you hit the pavement with each step! And when resistance is too much (and the bone doesn't fracture), the socket cup held into the machined out area of your pelvis fails by the screws getting twisted out. A lot to fix when they bring up back into surgery,. :nonono:

Yes sir! I could just visualize the shaft of the implant being pounded down further into your femur as you hit the pavement with each step! And when resistance is too much (and the bone doesn't fracture), the socket cup held into the machined out area of your pelvis fails by the screws getting twisted out. A lot to fix when they bring up back into surgery,. :nonono:
^^^ This! Read and heed! I have an old neighbor that needed a revision and it was a B**ch of a recovery.
I had a hip revision surgery and it went great. Better than the first. Dont even know i have the implant Maybe the cases the board was talking about are very old and never in great shape? I can still “ run” but i dont recommend it often because hip most likely wears out quicker. Best bet? I do sprints up hills at around 75% speed ( or whatever is comfortable) U can get a workout in around 5-10 minutes with pounding hip for long durations like distance runners . I also would only consider this if youre in good shape and relatively young and i only do it once or twice a week. Of course doctor needs to be on board Mine just says dont pound joint for long durations and often I am 60 and always have been real active

+1 I agree with aja8888. The hip replacement might be strong and new but the bones it is attached to are not. It might be a wise decision to find less stressful forms of exercise for joints. Bicycling (regular or recumbent) and swimming come to mind.

+1 I agree with aja8888. The hip replacement might be strong and new but the bones it is attached to are not. It might be a wise decision to find less stressful forms of exercise for joints. Bicycling (regular or recumbent) and swimming come to mind.
Sadly, swimming and biking won’t build stronger bones. Bones need to support weight and they have to ‘vibrate’ a bit from time to time. Not that swiming and biking aren’t great exercise, they are. That’s why I do brisk walking up and down hills. On the way down I hit the pavement a bit harder to vibrate the bones. On the way up, the muscles push against gravity and stress the bones so they grow stronger along with the muscles. So I am told by my PT guy. YMMV. I don’t even play a doctor on TV.

Sadly, swimming and biking won’t build stronger bones.
You're probably right, but that doesn't concern me. I think my bones are plenty strong enough. I'm one of the few people I know who has never broken one, and I drank enormous quantities of milk when younger and the calcium in my routine blood tests has always been near the top of the normal range.

Sadly, swimming and biking won’t build stronger bones. Bones need to support weight and they have to ‘vibrate’ a bit from time to time. Not that swiming and biking aren’t great exercise, they are. That’s why I do brisk walking up and down hills. On the way down I hit the pavement a bit harder to vibrate the bones. On the way up, the muscles push against gravity and stress the bones so they grow stronger along with the muscles. So I am told by my PT guy. YMMV. I don’t even play a doctor on TV.
I am not sure what you mean by "vibrate". I am guessing you mean stimulate. This is done by weight bearing exercises like walking/running (and all the variations like elliptical machines ), weight lifting, elastic bands (and variations), calisthenics, biking, etc. Walking is a good exercise but not much different than biking. In either is only a leisure effort it won't provide enough resistance to stimulate sufficient bone formation. On the other hand if there is enough effort both are effective. I would suggest that the forces involved in biking with the bones and joints incorporating the same angles and physics are no different than walking up hill, up stairs, or doing controlled squats where the knees stay behind the toes and thighs never past horizontal. However, walking down hill while still good for the bones has the disadvantage of potential damage to natural joints if pushed too far.
Swimming, while not as effective it does have the advantage of using muscle to stimulate early bone redevelopment as they apply lighter forces to the bones. As bone heals around the implants it first develops what is called cancellous or "spongy" bone (not soft, just has the appearance) that can be damaged by too much force too soon. Once established then osteoclasts slowly remove the early tissue as osteoblasts replaces it with more dense and durable bone as it remodels. More stress can be applied but in the case of a hip replacement it is never advised to participate in high impact activities.
I am not a doctor either. I only know this as a professor retired from 30 years teaching anatomy/physiology.

Back
Top Bottom