Difference in Quicken versions

Camas Lilly

Recycles dryer sheets
I am sure this has been asked, but I searched and couldn't find anything. What is the key difference between Quicken Starter and Deluxe Edition (Mac OS)? I wanted to try it mainly for tracking expenses, month to month with annual totals and averages over several years. I have previously been manually tracking so I thought it was time for something easier. I know various credit cards will categorize expenses, but assuming the advantage here is that it will link all of your spending accounts together. Won't the free version of Personal Capital do that? I know you can do a lot of that in Excel, but I don't have it yet on the new computer and was thinking Quicken would be easier.

I see the Deluxe Edition has Investment and Loan information, but it looks like a lot of that I can get other places with various calculators. Is there an advantage with the Deluxe Edition? Also the terminology between PC and Mac versions is slightly different.

What about Mint?

Last edited:
My recommendation is just to use Mint for income/expense tracking instead of Quicken Mac, which I have...the latter is a pale imitation of the Windows version.

For investments I use Personal Capital.

Thanks. I was wondering if the Mac version was different. Will give Mint a try. I already have Personal Capital set up.

Not sure if the Mac edition has it but in Windoze the Deluxe and higher editions include Quicken Lifetime Planner.... IMO one of the best deterministic retirement planners for DIYers.

Not sure if the Mac edition has it but in Windoze the Deluxe and higher editions include Quicken Lifetime Planner.... IMO one of the best deterministic retirement planners for DIYers.

Nope, which is a large part of the reason why I recommend people skip Quicken Mac.

Back
Top Bottom