Digital Camera Recommendations

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have been interested in getting back into photography, especially with my Mac Studio order fulfilling shortly (got the system unit, keyboard and mouse, just waiting on the monitor). I am looking for a camera with great image quality for landscape, wildlife, family, and perhaps occasional sports. Being able to do some HD video would also be a plus, but I am mainly interested in making prints from digital pictures. Thinking I'd opt for an intermediate to advanced level camera, but not pro level. Money is not an issue, but again, no need for pro level equipment that costs and arm and leg and might be too complicated for a digital newbie. I am not real familiar with mirrorless, but kind of see them as being one in the same as a DSLR. I still have my Canon F1 and FtB, but doubt that familiarity translates into today's digitals so I would certainly consider a Nikon as well as Canon. What do you have and/or would recommend for my needs?

Look at the micro-four-thirds system. Many cameras, many lenses, very large and liquid used equipment market. Most of it is also small and lightweight. A lot of M43 folks hang out here: https://www.mu-43.com.

Re "image quality" this is of course a huge sales point for manufacturers but in fact the image quality of almost any OEM lens these days is far, far beyond adequate for the way we use 99% of our images. Paper prints and computer monitors have less dynamic range than the images do. Computer monitor resolution is far less than the resolution of our images. For paper prints up to at least 16x20" you will not be able to tell the difference between the lowliest kit lens and the most expensive "pro" lens. Larger sizes, maybe, but not if you are at a normal viewing distance.

The first thing they teach you in a Quality class like Six Sigma is that quality is not some abstract thing where some is good and more is better. Quality is conformance with requirements. For example, a steel block doorstop with dimensions within 0.001" of the print is no higher quality that a doorstop within 0.010" of the print. This is basically the case with photo equipment these days; the requirements for our prints and computer viewing, social media, etc. are far exceeded by almost all of the equipment that is available.

DW shoots a Panasonic ZS-70, a fairly lowly camera by aficionado standards. I shoot a pair of Panny GX8s. It is not uncommon for us to get back from a trip and I look at a photo that I am particularly proud of, only to realize that it is one of hers.

The main things that money will buy you are fancy and high performance video and the extra light gathering ability of a larger sensor aka "full frame" or "medium format." Just starting out, these will almost certainly not be critical for you.

If you are nervous about private party used equipment (I'm not) there is an Olympus outlet site where they are addicted to discounting. Wait patiently for a few weeks and they will probably offer you a 20%-off sale.

I have a Nikon D850. I really like it. Great for landscapes, wildlife and sports.
45 megapixels. Big files - I have a 5 shot pano at 70 mb - but Lightroom on a base model Mac Studio has no problems with files this large. It doesn't have built in wi-fi or flash.

I suspect even a $300 - $400 camera would work, but might not have the control ability you want. Or maybe it would, I just want to point and shoot. It is enough for me to frame the pic decently and not have it back lit or anything.

Recently using a Canon Power /Shot A720 IS, which is an older camera DW had and was not using. I am using it in place of my Kodak V705, RIP after a lot of years and photos. The only thing I miss is the wide angle lens, and small size of the unit. Also using my smart phone, and not using max resolution on either of them. Only rarely do I wish afterwards that I had upped the megapixels before a shot.

Happy shopping.

I have a Nikon D850. I really like it. Great for landscapes, wildlife and sports.
45 megapixels. Big files - I have a 5 shot pano at 70 mb - but Lightroom on a base model Mac Studio has no problems with files this large. It doesn't have built in wi-fi or flash.

I have the D850 also. Love it.

Attachments

• IMG_1202fb.jpg
    IMG_1202fb.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 28

I thought it does have built in wifi, nice camera. Need to get Lightroom as well.

I suspect even a $300 - $400 camera would work, but might not have the control ability you want. Or maybe it would, I just want to point and shoot. It is enough for me to frame the pic decently and not have it back lit or anything.

Recently using a Canon Power /Shot A720 IS, which is an older camera DW had and was not using. I am using it in place of my Kodak V705, RIP after a lot of years and photos. The only thing I miss is the wide angle lens, and small size of the unit. Also using my smart phone, and not using max resolution on either of them. Only rarely do I wish afterwards that I had upped the megapixels before a shot.

Happy shopping.

I have an iPhone 11, and it takes good pictures and for carry around use it is great and probably as good as many dedicated cameras.

Some previous threads on the subject

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f54/digital-camera-recommendations-101056.html

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/beginners-dslr-equipment-88938.html

My recommendation would be to choose a mirrorless camera since that's where the major makers are focusing their development. Any camera you get will be way better than anything you've owned before - they're really computers with a sensor & lens attached.

Thanks for those links. It does appear the big names are moving in the mirrorless direction and not making new high end DSLRs. I guess mirrorless provides for smaller and lighter camera and good HD video performance.

Look at the micro-four-thirds system. Many cameras, many lenses, very large and liquid used equipment market. Most of it is also small and lightweight. A lot of M43 folks hang out here: https://www.mu-43.com.

Re "image quality" this is of course a huge sales point for manufacturers but in fact the image quality of almost any OEM lens these days is far, far beyond adequate for the way we use 99% of our images. Paper prints and computer monitors have less dynamic range than the images do. Computer monitor resolution is far less than the resolution of our images. For paper prints up to at least 16x20" you will not be able to tell the difference between the lowliest kit lens and the most expensive "pro" lens. Larger sizes, maybe, but not if you are at a normal viewing distance.

The first thing they teach you in a Quality class like Six Sigma is that quality is not some abstract thing where some is good and more is better. Quality is conformance with requirements. For example, a steel block doorstop with dimensions within 0.001" of the print is no higher quality that a doorstop within 0.010" of the print. This is basically the case with photo equipment these days; the requirements for our prints and computer viewing, social media, etc. are far exceeded by almost all of the equipment that is available.

DW shoots a Panasonic ZS-70, a fairly lowly camera by aficionado standards. I shoot a pair of Panny GX8s. It is not uncommon for us to get back from a trip and I look at a photo that I am particularly proud of, only to realize that it is one of hers.

The main things that money will buy you are fancy and high performance video and the extra light gathering ability of a larger sensor aka "full frame" or "medium format." Just starting out, these will almost certainly not be critical for you.

If you are nervous about private party used equipment (I'm not) there is an Olympus outlet site where they are addicted to discounting. Wait patiently for a few weeks and they will probably offer you a 20%-off sale.

Yes, I have looked at some of the used camera sites and would not be opposed to buying an excellent condition used camera.

We have a ZS-70. I like that it has a wide zoom range (equivalent 24mm-720mm) for what is essentially a pocket camera. It's not great if you shoot a lot in low light, though.

You should decide first if you want an interchangeable lens camera or not. The lenses are where you would be investing. I have two Canon DSLRs and a collection of EF lenses and two Lumix M43 mirrorless cameras and a collection of M43 lenses. If you want to go the route of interchangeable lens cameras, then buy a mirrorless over a DSLR. You can adapt your DSLR lenses to most mirrorless cameras with adapters. I shoot video 90% of the time these days so I am using my M43 cameras most of the time. I also found that after using a high resolution electronic viewfinder of a mirrorless camera with live view and zoom magnification, it's hard to go back to an optical viewfinder in a DSLR. Lumix M43 cameras and lenses are light and compact if you stick with the lower cost lenses. However, the moment you start buying the premium Leica or Olympus Pro grade lenses, the weight advantage disappears. If you just want a travel camera with a nice lens, consider a bridge camera like the Lumix FZ-1000 MK II.

We have a ZS-70. I like that it has a wide zoom range (equivalent 24mm-720mm) for what is essentially a pocket camera. It's not great if you shoot a lot in low light, though.
Low light is definitely the tradeoff. The light weight makes for a little less stability too IMHO. OTOH, the 24mm wide end is great for building interiors. The tele end is why cell phone cameras are not a universal solution.

I wrote a travel magazine article a few years back where I opened by saying the it is very important to start by deciding what size camera you are willing to carry. After all, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you. The ZS cameras are the biggest size DW is willing to carry. We have had two or three of them.

You should decide first if you want an interchangeable lens camera or not. The lenses are where you would be investing. I have two Canon DSLRs and a collection of EF lenses and two Lumix M43 mirrorless cameras and a collection of M43 lenses. If you want to go the route of interchangeable lens cameras, then buy a mirrorless over a DSLR. You can adapt your DSLR lenses to most mirrorless cameras with adapters. I shoot video 90% of the time these days so I am using my M43 cameras most of the time. I also found that after using a high resolution electronic viewfinder of a mirrorless camera with live view and zoom magnification, it's hard to go back to an optical viewfinder in a DSLR. Lumix M43 cameras and lenses are light and compact if you stick with the lower cost lenses. However, the moment you start buying the premium Leica or Olympus Pro grade lenses, the weight advantage disappears. If you just want a travel camera with a nice lens, consider a bridge camera like the Lumix FZ-1000 MK II.

I can envision probably a three lens kit, but would not buy all at once. These 43 cameras are certainly an interesting option especially if a person is on a budget. I imagine mirrorless cameras will see more lens options in the future without having to resort to older DSLR lenses and adaptors.

...I imagine mirrorless cameras will see more lens options in the future without having to resort to older DSLR lenses and adaptors.
No waiting with M43 mirrorless. With two OEMs cranking out lenses and a number of third party lens vendors, we don't lack for choices: https://alikgriffin.com/micro-43-lens-buying-guide/

For a two-lens setup I suggest the Oly 9-18 zoom and either the Panny 14-140 zoom or the similar Olympus. More money will get you the Oly 12-200 that I am now shooting. Quite an amazing range for one lens. A good monopod with a ball head will help in low light situations.

I've got a Panasonic Luminex FZ80 with an incredible zoom lens. The owner's manual is so large that it's online, and it's like reading Greek. Maybe one of these days I'll get somewhat accomplished shooting pictures with it.

I just wish modern cameras were not so complicated to use. Maybe that's why so many people use their Samsung and IPhone cell phones that now have relatively high quality cameras.

I've got a Panasonic Luminex FZ80 with an incredible zoom lens. The owner's manual is so large that it's online, and it's like reading Greek. Maybe one of these days I'll get somewhat accomplished shooting pictures with it.

I just wish modern cameras were not so complicated to use. Maybe that's why so many people use their Samsung and IPhone cell phones that now have relatively high quality cameras.

I hear you regarding the kafkaesque Panasonic manual. It's just best to get out and shoot, learn the camera by trial and error. But the lens (on my earlier-gen ZS70) is awesome. We shoot outdoors mostly, and the Panasonic is hard to beat as a pocket camera for landscape shooting.

I feel the same way about my suv's owners manual, LOL. I have been perusing some photography groups on FB and its amazing the number of people that tout the iPhone 13 Pro and claim its as good as a DSLR or mirrorless. Of course, there is an equal or larger number of people that push back and say no comparison with a camera phone vs a dedicated camera. But for sure, they are easy to carry anywhere and shoot pics that are unplanned.

I have a Panasonic FZ300 bridge camera. Same thing about the manual. I ended up printing out the large manual. But using the camera other than automatic, point and shoot mode I find frustrating with too many options. IMO, too many features are crammed into the camera. But as a big point and shoot that feels like an SLR, the camera is nice.

Back
Top Bottom