Disability income taxes

Olbidness

Recycles dryer sheets
I had a major heath problem last year and was drawing short-term disability benefits from work. I ran the numbers and concluded that everything looked good, so July of this year retired. At the urging of my employers HR manager I also applied for long-term disability benefits. So last week I get a check from the disability insurance people, quite a shock I must say. But I have a policy, when someone gives me money, I take it.

I talked to the insurance rep and was told that since my employer paid the premiums that any benefits paid to me would pre-tax. I haven't talked to my CPA yet, but I think I'm going to have to file quarterly. Any thoughts?

We were given the opportunity to pay the tax on the premiums so as not to get taxed on the benefits where I was employed. I elected to do that and it came in handy when I was out for several months. HR explained it every year during benefits enrollment.

Yep, I already had googled it. Thanks

Looking at a old pay Stub and saw 2 entries for imputed income. Its’s clear one is for life insurance, not sure about the other.

I’ll talk to the CPA, I ‘m sure I’ll get a 1099 or something similar to tell me more.

Always something new to learn.[emoji4]

Back
Top Bottom