Dissapointing News

Just for fun, I went to USAjobs.com, and without logging in, did a keyword search on "USPTO". there are 13 openings in various disciplines.
USAJOBS -

Then I did a keyword search using "Attorney" and got 309 hits.
USAJOBS -

The site is very straightforward to use. You can use the radius/zip code feature right under the keyword entry subwindow to narrow down your searches.

Go here to create an account
https://my.usajobs.gov/login.aspx?redirect=https://my.usajobs.gov/home.aspx

Happy hunting! :greetings10:

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I have the exact same background, an electrical engineer with a few years of engineering experience, passed the patent bar, worked at a patent prosecution firm doing preps/pros during 1L, then got laid off a year later when their biggest clients started making huge cuts in future filings. I am currently a 2L, so I am living off of unemployment for now while taking classes (which can occur in my state).

If you would like any specific information to help on your job search, send me a PM, I should be able to send you a few things. Even if you have most of the information, I have a database of firm information I compiled for applying to firms at the PLIP.

You really shouldn't have any trouble finding good work. Where I live, there has been a recession since the tech-bubble burst in 2000, especially for engineering, yet I still had no trouble finding engineering positions, it usually only took me a month find something. I think this will carry over into patent law as well.

If you have an interest in the financial side of things, it should also be pretty easy transitioning something like bankruptcy law as mentioned as well, there certainly should be a large demand right now for that sort of work.

I think you have the right order down though for applying. I would suggest that, if you are e-mailing, use a credible e-mail (I had an e-mail go into a junk filter once), and follow the e-mail up with a call (which is how I found out it accidentally went in the junk pile). Don't simply shotgun and leave it at that, if it is a place you really would be interested working.

In your opinion, do you think being an attorney will be an advantage from an application standpoint? Or does the USPTO care one way or the other?

Unfortunately, I can't say. My intuition is that for an examiner's job being an attorney is a disadvantage, since that job certainly doesn't require an attorney's license. But, if you want to be a patent prosecutor, working as an examiner will give you great long-term advantages--you are just doing the steps in reverse order (first an attorney, then an examiner). Given the economy, however, I can't believe that anyone would seriously question your decision.

Of course, the USPTO also hires attorneys for lawyer-license-required jobs. But, I don't have the insight into those opportunities.

So, I'd just consider the examiner job as more training, and hopefully the USPTO will convince you to stay (from their perspective).

plsprius

Landonew I do not mean this as just a silly platitude, but maybe the next job is really where you are meant to be.

Ditto that. My first job as an attorney was pretty bad--I was miserable and stressed out that it wasn't working out like I had hoped. I started to quietly look for another job, and something local unexpectedly opened up. I am much happier at the new job.

Ever hear the story about what he learned from the patent job? He met up with some slacker named Szilard and they designed a refrigerator:
Einstein refrigerator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... among other things.

By the way, most RV refrigerators are of the absorption type. Run on ammonia. No moving parts. Propane or electricity for the heat source. A tad more refined, but the same principle as their invention.

Yo! Landonew! Wheeeeeee

LOL, thanks for the enthusiasm. I will certainly keep an eye out for those applications if I end up in Alexandria VA. Your right about the USPTO being a solid work opportunity.

On a side note, I apologize on behalf of the patent community for the delay in prosecuting your applications (alright, maybe I should wait for that first pay check before speaking on behalf of the 'patent community' LOL, but you get the point). It is sad that the backlog has gotten so bad that the average application has a pendency period of just over 5 years!!!! Don't blame your patent attorney though. We now don't even receive the first office action until 2 years after the initial filing date.
You brought me luck! :greetings10:

I am pleased to announce that my 2nd US Patent was issued on March 31, 2009.

I received notification of the recent patent issue through a private sector company that sells mounting plaques. Go figure!
This is the 2nd patent to issue as a result of 1 initial application in 2002, which was split into 3 additional applications and re-submitted to the US Patent & Trademark Office in 2005. That means that there was enough intellectual property (translated damn good idea) to merit 4 distinct applications.
FWIW, my former employer had decided to continue prosecuting (pursuing) the patents even though I am no longer employed there. That is a good thing.
All 4 patent applications were the product of an idea I had that was essentially an improvement on an in-house project that I attempted to participate in way back in 1997.
I was prevented from fully participating due to dinosaur attitudes, but they could not stop me from thinking. My idea was termed “not to be of sufficient technical merit” to be pursued beyond the patent submissions. In plain English, it was squashed in place.

Needless to say, this is a grand day for me. dh2b is very proud and awarded me some “bragging rights”. It gives me tremendous closure. :ROFLMAO:

2 down, 2 to go. I may hear news of the outcome of the other 2 applications in the near future. Cross your fingers for me.

Congratulations Freebird. Nice bragging rights. A good example of Non Illegitimi Carborundum.

Congratulations Freebird. Nice bragging rights. A good example of Non Illegitimi Carborundum.

I had to look that one up.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

And thank you...I cannot fully describe in words what this means to me. You would need sunglasses :cool: for the shining joy on my face.

Yup, no substitute for winning.
coolsmiley.gif
coolsmiley.gif
coolsmiley.gif
coolsmiley.gif

I
And thank you...I cannot fully describe in words what this means to me. You would need sunglasses :cool: for the shining joy on my face.

I hope it means some MOO-LAH for you.........:D

Woo-hoo!! THIS is what it's all about, Freebird - - having a goal, working hard despite adversity, and achieving that goal!!! :clap::dance:

CONGRATULATIONS! :D

This experience has made me realize (or at least begin to understand) how important financial independence truly is. As an employee, you are simply a fungible asset to your employer. Consequently, you are a mere stroke of a pen (or keystroke) away from unemployment.
Ain't that the truth!

Back
Top Bottom