DIY inspection device

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Was tipped off to this today - haven't used it, but got a glowing recommendation. USB endoscope. The user was inspecting for termite damage under a house and this saved her a bunch of crawling. Don't think this is the actual unit, she mentioned spending $20 and a 30' cable. Not steerable, so maybe tape it to a stick or a sewer snake. It has illumination and you view output on your laptop. Waterproof is a lie. Youtube and Amazon are also your friends.

An example of the tool:

10M USB Waterproof Endoscope Borescope Snake Inspection Tube Pipe Camera F5 | eBay

This is awesome. I'm tired of paying big money for colonoscopies.

I had the plumber out last week to fix a blockage problem in the drain line to my septic tank. They wanted an additional $200 just to video scope the line which I declined.

Last edited:
I had the plumber out last week to fix a blockage problem in the drain line to my septic tank. They wanted an additional $200 just to video scope the line which I declined.

I suggest you find a more ethical plumber. A simple snake job for a plumber in our community is $89. Of course, they're looking to discover many more plumbing issues while they solve one issue.

My daughter used to be an accountant for Terminix. I also had a good friend that owned a termite company. They're more of an insurance company than they are a pest control company. It's also a fraudulent business in some ways. And those big spray rigs on pest control trucks are just for show.

Those little traps outside your house you pay $60 a month for inspection are complete rip offs. Every shovel of dirt in your yard has termites. You just don't want'em within 6" of your foundation.

See BugSpray.com if you want to get rid of any critter, bug or pest. I treat my own houses for termites using their products.

This is awesome. I'm tired of paying big money for colonoscopies.

Nice! Imagine that one can give himself a DIY job anytime he wants to.

Yeah, and as frequently as once per month (can one be too careful?), and that's without the hassle of getting an appointment, let alone the cost.

Not only don't you need to make an appointment, but you don't need to find someone to drive you home after the procedure. Even better, if it's a nice warm day, you can DIY in your very own backyard (or maybe in your front yard if you and the neighbors are friendly).

Yeah, and as frequently as once per month (can one be too careful?), and that's without the hassle of getting an appointment, let alone the cost.

Ah but you wouldn't want to go thru all that prep work once a month would you...:nonono:

No problem.
The better models have a little windshield wiper.

LOL:cool:....and the ER doctor ask......you were trying to do what...:fingerwag:

You see cost and I see opportunity! Imagine if we could bill our insurance for doing one on ourselves once a month! A new source of retirement income!

I once read the fine print on the box of an inspection camera. It did indeed say something like "not for use on humans...".

Interesting. The older I get, the less enthused I am about crawling under cabinets... or automobiles. Not to mention the vision issue. Here is Amazon's offer: http://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Waterproof-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection/dp/B00J5EE22O

On the other hand, here is a more professional device (unfortunately, I can't seem to find a price): VJ-Advance Video Borescope - Articulating Borescope Camera | RF System Lab

A few good points to ponder, however:

There are a number of key differences between these low-end products and the VJ-ADV

1. Articulation. Low-end videoscopes do not articulate (meaning the camera section cannot be controlled and pointed in different directions). A scope without articulation is like a car without a steering wheel. It’s great as long as you only need to go straight. These low cost scopes may work well for certain types of inspections, such as small-bore pipe inspection, where there would be no room to move an articulating tip. But in the vast majority of cases, the usefulness comes from being able to place the insertion tube into an inspection area and then move the camera around to see what you need to see. The ability to articulate the camera is the most critical feature missing from low-end scopes, and the value of articulation
cannot be overstated.

2. Image or video capture. If a technician ever wants to archive pictures of an inspection, get a second opinion, compare the same part from one date to the next, or show a customer the results of an inspection, you must have image and video capture. Most low-end scopes do not have image or video capture. Some of these products may have a video output through which you could record an inspection on a computer, but this adds complexity and cost and reduces portability.

3. Image quality. The VJ-ADV uses a high end camera and lens system to deliver 307,200 pixel resolution and a focal range of 4mm to infinity. Check the resolution and focal range of these systems and you will see that they usually are inferior.

4. Insertion tube material. VJ-ADV’s insertion tube is very rugged and yet pliable enough to snake through bends and elbows and curves. Some of the low-end product insertion tubes are too rigid to do this. Some are made out of metal gooseneck material, much like electric wire conduit. This type of insertion tube material, combined with a lack of articulation, significantly reduces the types of inspection scenarios in which it can be used.

Back
Top Bottom