Do charity's CEO salaries influence which ones you give to?

I have stopped giving to two partially due to excessive CEO charities.
Red Cross no longer gets my money in part of ceo salary. They still get my blood as they're the only game in town.

Later in life I was a manager whose Megacorp drove for 100% participation in UW. I met with my team and let them know my definition of participating was filling out the form. Goose eggs counted. Nobody above me cared, no one challenged my merit awards, promotions.

I worked for one Megacorp that just wanted everyone to fill in the form- same thing. AFAIK, they never hassled anyone who pledged zero. I gave a small amount to a charity I trusted that was a UW participant but donated a much larger amount outside of UW.

Red Cross no longer gets my money in part of CEO salary. They still get my blood as they're the only game in town.

Fortunately we have another local blood bank. I've lived in the area 15 years and I don't think the Red Cross has gotten a single pint of mine even though I donate plasma, platelets and whole blood (always 2 out of those 3) monthly when I'm not benched due to my travel destinations.

Last edited:
How did UW have such pull? Did they promise company execs sone kind of perk or recognition?

Fortunately we have another local blood bank. I've lived in the area 15 years and I don't think the Red Cross has gotten a single pint of mine even though I donate plasma, platelets and whole blood (always 2 out of those 3) monthly when I'm not benched due to my travel destinations.

Yeah, I switched away from Red Cross too.

Nothing like feeling like I'm imposing on them. Oh my goodness, sorry I showed up and extended your day to quitting time!

Or, listening to the workers gossip about their bosses. Leave that to the break rooms.

Just bad form, and a larger indication of the culture of the organization.

My company is big on UW too, though the push has faded some since the last scandal. But in the past, my manager always scheduled us to attend one of the fund drive presentations. At least they tried to make it fun with quizzes and prizes for various types of participation. We're still pushed to give, and asked to at least return our forms, even if we don't give. Is that a guilt tactic or what?

When I want to evaluate a charity I immediately go to guidestar.org and pull their most recent tax return.

I first look at the P&L and the balance sheet. The expense side of the P&L will provide clues to how donations are being spent. Also, I know of one nonprofit that has several years' revenue in reserves/investments. This is an organization run for the benefit of its management, who have years worth of job security and salary cushion if membership falls off.

In addition to salaries, I look at names. I remember one I looked where the old man, his wife, and his kids were all on the payroll.

I also look to see if the charity has for-profit subsidiaries. This is a completely legal shell game where, for example, they buy services from the sub. The sub is totally opaque, so it's a good place for nepotism, big salaries, etc. to be hidden.

I look at large outside contracts, too. Often there are printers, mailing services, etc. but sometimes there are fund-raising companies, etc.

Finally I look at the notes at the end of the return. This is where they are forced to explain things in the main return that are unusual.

All of that is just a smell test, because a good accountant can bury things pretty deep, but it's IMO still a useful exercise.

It does effect and my wiliness to give to a charity with to much overhead and salary expenses.

I am on a board of directors for community care foundation and every single red penny given to that charity goes directly back to the health care and related projects in my community. I'm very proud of the work that is done from this foundation.

Most of the work is done by volunteers and we do have 2 paid people and one is a CEO but the local Hospital pays there salary and benefits etc. All other expenses are through the general funds from the hospital.

We give out about 1/2 million plus each year in grants to police, health care, EMT, day care, people that need help in related wellness etc.

So in a small local charity it is something we hang our hat on and very proud to say that every penny you donate goes back to help every age group and your community.

Outstanding!

DH and I volunteer for several local organizations. We are impressed by their work and most of our donations go to them.

How did UW have such pull? Did they promise company execs sone kind of perk or recognition?
Dunno. But my personal theory is that my company big shot VP went to a luncheon, stood up and announced some huge contribution by our company. (Round of applause...). Then he returned and divided that number by the number of middle managers under his control.

BTW, he told us he would personally look at each contribution form before it was submitted. He was a horse's a** all the way around, so none of it surprised me.

$1.3MM for an operation the size of St Jude is a bargain, IMO.

This is a BIG organization with many moving parts; a big job.

I never appreciated the pressure to contribute to UW. If I wanted to contribute to a charity that is my business. I also don't like that so much of the contributions went to the CEO and others. To me that smacks of a type of corruption. I also don't buy into the argument that the exceptionally high salaries are necessary to attract qualified management and they are worth it because they will increase the bottom line.

Then there is the con that you can designate which of their charities you want your money to go to. I'm not so gullible to think that they don't readjust the money form all sources to balance it back to their original formula like a shell game or 3 card Monty.

I volunteer at a few charities and donate to small local charities where I know the money goes to helping the cause instead of helping the management get richer.

Cheers!

Regarding the pressure to donate to UW:

A while back the company I worked for was owned by a large MegaCorp. One year I had received a large bonus, and was feeling particularly generous. So I donated at the lowest tier of the "prestige" levels (silver, gold etc). Of course, all the paperwork said all donations are anonymous.

A week or so later I received a thank you from a corporate honcho. It came in an envelope color coded to the giving level :mad:. Back then the mail slots were in public areas, so much for be anonymous.

When I want to evaluate a charity I immediately go to guidestar.org and pull their most recent tax return.

This is good advice. Takes a little work. You learn A LOT.

The nonprofit board I was treasurer for insisted we fill out a 990 even though we could just do the post card, which has no details (revenue under $50k). The board wanted to be public on all we do.

I was proud to fill that out! Our only significant expense was insurance. Everyone worked gratis and we kept all other expenses to the absolute minimum, with most covered with in-kind donations.

The only downside is I think since my name is on the return, it has ramped up spam that I get. :(

Last edited:
This is good advice. Takes a little work. You learn A LOT. ...
Thank you. To be clear for others, accessing tax returns at guidestar.org requires that you have a login. Registration is easy and in quite a few years of using guidestar I have never gotten any spam or had any other negative effects from providing my contact information to obtain a login.

Thank you. To be clear for others, accessing tax returns at guidestar.org requires that you have a login. Registration is easy and in quite a few years of using guidestar I have never gotten any spam or had any other negative effects from providing my contact information to obtain a login.
Right. Sorry to confuse things. Since the 990 tax form is public, and as treasurer and officer of the corp, my name and signature is in full sight for all to see. Nothing to do with Guidestar, everything to do with the IRS.

BTW, for those who have donor advised fund with Vanguard Charitable, the Guidestar information now comes free automatically if logged onto the Vanguard Charitable. Just click the "Find a Charity" button and you have access to all the Guidestar info. Very helpful.

I'm a bit like OldShooter. I research the organization using Navigator and Guidestar....then consider how much of their funding goes to admin/fundraising vs. going towards those in need. Higher CEO salaries in some charities is a red flag, in others...not so much. I think it's a good idea to not only research charities during selection...but to also monitor and keep up over time to remain aware of changes.

Looking deeper into their relationships with vendors, etc... and seeing the breakdown of how much funding is going to each of the major charitable activities is sometimes eye opening/surprising. I have added/removed several charities from my list over the years due to changes in direction disclosed in the 990/online Navigator/Guidestar disclosures.

Originally Posted by athena53
"Dayum. That would have saved SO much rah-rah-ing and arm-twisting in Corporate America. One of the delights of retirement is that I no longer have to feign interest in the annual UW campaign. Last year I gave 15% of my AGI to charity- but none of it to the United Way.:D"

Right on! As a young middle manager, making $50k, our VP of sales told each of us he expected our contribution of no less than $1000 a year to UW. (No allowance given for the charities we supported then). At the time, DW was a stay at home mom with our young kids. I was the non-profit organization...and could have used that money.

PS-I also have never given to UW once free of the "corporate arm twisting/extortison. If UW is aware of what goes on behind the curtain, and continues their support of fund raising that way, shame on them.

The coercion to donate is wrong - philanthropic giving shouldn't involve threats or requirements tied to employment. Yes, it still goes on at local-level United Way agencies and yes the National UW is very aware of this and per their website, tells us to direct such issues back to the local United Way. :rolleyes:

I'm a bit like OldShooter. I research the organization using Navigator and Guidestar....then consider how much of their funding goes to admin/fundraising vs. going towards those in need. Higher CEO salaries in some charities is a red flag, in others...not so much. I think it's a good idea to not only research charities during selection...but to also monitor and keep up over time to remain aware of changes.

Looking deeper into their relationships with vendors, etc... and seeing the breakdown of how much funding is going to each of the major charitable activities is sometimes eye opening/surprising. I have added/removed several charities from my list over the years due to changes in direction disclosed in the 990/online Navigator/Guidestar disclosures.

Nicely said. I too have found that being informed and staying current is the best way to help make sure that my donated $ are used effectively and efficiently. I make an effort to know the organization and the need(s), ask questions, research and am usually involved with the organizations that I donate my time and money to. This helps ensure that my $ are used the way that I intended and that I understand how the organization operates in conjunction with their 990 and Guidestar/Navigator tools. Plus, it's often alot of fun.

Getting back to the OP's question, I've also found that just as in the for-profit world, significantly under compensating staff usually has poor outcomes. So I'm for market based compensation (total compensation including all benefits) of non-profit staff.

Last edited:
OP here, back to thinking about St. Jude again. I don't have kids, but I can imagine what it'd be like to have a loved one suffering with cancer, and to not have health insurance or money to pay for uncovered treatments. I'd rather suffer through that myself than watch my loved one suffer.

Back
Top Bottom