Do we still go to concerts? What concerts have to attended in the last few years?

I am a big jazz fan. I am fortunate to live near a University with an excellent jazz program. Most of the concerts are with free or cost $10 and they have many excellent jazz artist guests from all over the country. Concerts were streamed last year but they have started live concerts again recently and as the weather warms concerts will be outside. I am hoping to be able to start going to concerts soon.

In the last few years we've seen:

• Royal Blood
  • Haley Reinhart
  • Anna Nalick
  • The Smithereens
  • Gin Wigmore
  • Joan Jett and Cheap Trick
Who have you seen lately? Let us know!

• In August we saw Buckcherry at the U.P. State Fair in Escanaba.
  • In October we saw the Rolling Stones in Minneapolis.
  • Three weeks ago we saw Elton John in Chicago.
  • In July we're going to see Billy Joel in Detroit.
We are trying to get to as many shows as we can before they do away with paper tickets completely. We've noticed a few venues and or tours have gone to mobile-only tickets. :confused:

Seems lately, tons of old groups are doing their last tour.... again...
We have looked at several and NOT A CHANCE... Ticket prices are INSANE... even nosebleed section or outside watching on a screen.... and the cost of any food and beverage on top... add fuel and parking...
Years ago I looked at taking the DW to see the Eagles... for 1/3 the $ I bought her every DVD and CD they had out...Plus a nice dinner out.

A friend convinced DW and me to attend a John Prine concert a couple years before John died. Tickets were like $80, which brought back memories of paying $4 or $5 to see John and two or three other acts in a day at Milwaukee's Summerfest. OK, I thought, John needs to feed his 401k.

He came out and frankly, looked and sounced awful. I get it, I was paying to hear the songs. Then a 300-lb guy sat down in the seat next to me (I'm no peanut myself). Hoo boy, what fun.

I'm a guitar player and James Taylor has always been my guitar hero. He's the reason I bought a guitar and started playing in 1970. I never went to concerts, but five years ago I had a chance to get some really good tickets to a JT concert. It was life changing for me! Since then, I've seen him at least once a year. Even had a chance to chat with him a couple of times before Covid. He really makes the effort to put on a good show, and amazingly his voice still sounds close to the original recordings. I'll keep on seeing his shows as long as he keeps going. Have tickets to see him in September in Barcelona.

Last edited:
Straight No Chaser in January at the Schnitz in Portland.

Winton Marcellis, Jazz at the Lincoln Center in Eugene, Oregon two weeks ago.

Arlo's concert was his annual Thanksgiving event at Carnegie Hall, a long-time tradition, & I didn't realize he had announced it would be his final one.
Good memories.

We saw Arlo back in maybe 1995? It was free concert at Union Station in STL. I was such a fun concert. He was "old" back then, with the long grey hair, and the family was in the band.

Every now and then, I will look up "Alice's Restaurant" on Youtube, Just hear it one more time.

And, of course "City of New Orleans"

I heard he was not going to perform any more.

Good for him. Go out when you still have a good voice (well as good as Arlo can be), no need to pad the bank account :D

The last concert I attended was the SF Philharmonic on December 3rd (actually went to street music, holiday performances, and Rafi after that but not counting those). Next one is SF Philharmonic on March 25th. Can hardly wait until Summer in Grove Park starts! I miss live music

Just prior to the pandemic we saw Doobie Bros and Steely Dan together, Hall and Oates, The Who (Joan Jett opened), and a Led Zep tribute band. Last precovid show was Randy Bachman. During it, we saw Hall and Oates again (Squeeze opened).
A concert by Steve Miller was Covid cancelled.

Last edited:
I have also played guitar for many, many years, but can't touch JT's technique and awesome delivery!

Last edited:
mostly a lurker, but, I need to respond to this one :)

we probably see 8-10 major acts per year - some require travel, most don't

lately we've seen Big Head Todd, Joe Bonamassa (last night), Boz Scaggs (twice and again in July, Little Feat, Jimmy Buffet just cancelled on us again, Leonid & Friends, Eric Johnson just cancelled on us, ZZ Top - and some others

Professional cover bands are all the thing lately and we go see some of those - Rain lately, Black Jacket Symphony, and others

We probably see maybe 40+ local acts per year, but, 30 of those are in our two weeks in Key West.

Probably a good lead in question for this would be, "Who listens to music at home?"

We're 70ish - When faced with the dilemma, "Should we stay at home and watch TV, or, should we go catch some live music?" - we often choose the live music option.

But - vive la difference

BTW - Joe Bonamassa rocked the house :)

Don't like the crowds.

We don't attend concerts anymore. Don't like the crowds. What we did and I recommend to others is volunteer at small venues, like wineries to help. We work as ushers for 2 hours. Then you can walk away and find any seat and enjoy. Had lots of laughs with this, ppl are so funny when they think you are in charge. We since moved to a more remote area and have found ourselves part of a jam session music night at a local place. You never know who will show up. Everyone is welcome, so seasoned players and some who are returning to music in retirement. Again lots of fun. Meets lots of people.
I hate large crowds and traffic, I won't attend if I have to deal with that.

Just saw Bruce Cockburn in Burlington, VT at a relatively small venue -easy in and out parking lot. Everyone who entered showed proof of vaccination and 90% wore masks throughout. Bruce looked so much older but his voice was strong and sounded exactly as I remembered. It was a great show. So grateful we can make events like this happen again.

BTW - Joe Bonamassa rocked the house :)

Very cool, good to see someone really enjoying live music. And BTW, I'd never heard of Joe Bonamassa, but thanks to YouTube, I love him! Too bad he's not touring out west this year or I'd be there.

I am not much of a concert go-er. I don't like the crowds nor the horrendously loudness of the music, sometimes so loud you can not hear the words being sung!
TSO was the last one we went too, nice concert, but we were very close to the stage and even with earplugs, way too loud.

I am not much of a concert go-er. I don't like the crowds nor the horrendously loudness of the music, sometimes so loud you can not hear the words being sung!
TSO was the last one we went too, nice concert, but we were very close to the stage and even with earplugs, way too loud.

In all fairness Trans Siberian Orchestra is like WAAAY louder than your average set. They do this on purpose is my understanding...just over the top Christmas music and such at a super high volume.

DW and I saw them one Xmas, and we both agreed we liked it enough and it was unique enough we would see them again, but absolutely with ear plugs.

DW and I are thinking of going to Rod Stewart with Cheap Trick opening this summer.

Not exactly a concert, but a public performance. I saw Fran Lebowitz last month in Santa Rosa. Very entertaining, and thoroughly worthwhile. It was the first public event I have been to since the pandemic began.

Wife and I have tickets to see Sparks in Nashville next month.

Saw them last night in San Francisco. It was the first show of their world tour, and was brilliant. Ron and Russell are absolute treasures. After the show, Russell said that it had been better than they had hoped for, and they hope every audience on the tour is as enthusiastic as we were. After the encore, they stayed onstage for quite a long time - we just wouldn't let them go. You could feel the love in the room. To make it even better, we had seats in the orchestra section, about 20 feet in front of the stage, and slightly above ground level (just enough elevation to give us a great view). If the show in Nashville is anywhere near as good, you'll have a great time!

+1 Last concert I attended was John Fogarty right before the pandemic started. The time before that was so long ago I can't remember. For the price of a ticket I could probably buy all the CDs that band has recorded and enjoy hearing the music at any time sans obnoxious people and too loud music while sitting on uncomfortable hard seats.

Cheers!

Attended my first concert for a few years last night. Tom McGuire and the Brassholes, an up and coming Scottish band. It was funkin brilliant.

Not many masks in evidence although we were at a less populated area in the balcony of the small venue.

I can't stand big venues anymore (like 17,000+ seat Honda Center, since OP is from my same county), but I regularly attend concerts at smaller venues. Next week we'll be seeing Boz Scaggs, and next month we have front row seats to a tribute concert to the Beatles and Rolling Stones.

In the last few years we've seen remaining Beach Boys, Michael Bolton, Christopher Cross, David Foster, and more Tribute Bands than I can count.

Come to think, it's a rare week that we aren't enjoying live music somewhere, even if just a sole performer at one of the numerous locations hosting live music in our surrounding communities. Of which there are many, happily.

Just got tickets to Jewel and Train at Redrocks. Not doing indoor yet, but maybe soon. Skipped Magic Giant at a smaller local venue as our numbers still were high. Not sure if numbers down because not testing unless symptoms, or really improving, maybe both.

I can't stand big venues anymore (like 17,000+ seat Honda Center, since OP is from my same county), but I regularly attend concerts at smaller venues. Next week we'll be seeing Boz Scaggs, and next month we have front row seats to a tribute concert to the Beatles and Rolling Stones.

In the last few years we've seen remaining Beach Boys, Michael Bolton, Christopher Cross, David Foster, and more Tribute Bands than I can count.

Come to think, it's a rare week that we aren't enjoying live music somewhere, even if just a sole performer at one of the numerous locations hosting live music in our surrounding communities. Of which there are many, happily.

I have liked Boz Scaggs since 1975. Maybe someday I’ll get to see him either in UK or in USA if it coincides with a holiday there. Is he still performing well ?

DW loves opera, so we'll be attending a performance of "Orpheus in the Underworld" in May.

Back
Top Bottom