Do you have a back splash in your kitchen?

I’ve installed every backsplash in every house I’ve been in, (5) since I usually bought fixer uppers and typically gutted or did serious kitchen renovations. In the old days it was typical subway tile, never white with white grout, but an accent color and typically gray grout that I sealed multiple times. Never stained, easy to clean. This last house was built new, and the builder wanted $2k for a standard white ceramic subway tile backsplash to which DW literally laughed at them when they priced it, asking if they were joking?

The downside of always having me do renos for the past 25 years is she has a total lack of realistic pricing for that kind of work. She picks out whet she wants and I nix whatever is not practical until we come up with a good solution. This house I installed back painted glass 2x6 subway tile as already suggested here, dark grey and used glassbead based grout which is a different shade of grey and does not have to be sealed and is permanently stain proof. Tile & grout were both more expensive to buy than ceramic, but even then total cost was maybe $250 and 2 days easy labor as this home it is only the 8 ft quartz counter & large SS sink up to the cabinets. The range top is on a different peninsular bar counter and the small 8” backsplash is the same quartz.

We both thought it was kind of telling that to have the 2 car garage floor and entry coated and sealed with the lifetime warranty non slip epoxy was also $2k, and I paid that thinking it was a fair price.

Last edited:
Yes, I like having a kitchen backsplash.

I'm also taking more chances in life these days. One way is to decorate my Florida place however I want.

Go ahead, let me have it on my new backsplash tiles.

Have a great Christmas/New Years.
JP

View attachment 41259

Love your backsplash!!

I always have a backsplash, to me it's the "jewelry" of the kitchen design. We just did ours last year. Our kitchen is small so I had to keep it simple. So instead of adding color I chose an interesting shape.

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_095025666finished kitchen (3).jpg
    IMG_20200524_095025666finished kitchen (3).jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 21
I have one all the way up to the cabinets- as others have said, to me it just makes it look "finished". Nothing trendy- just solid blue 2" X 2" tiles with a row of white across the middle to lighten it up. House was built in 1995 and that's the original.

I had to get creative when they installed quartz countertops- they said they'd try and keep the backsplash intact but one of the lower tiles broke and one went missing. I found some pretty blue and white patterned tiles in the same size and replaced the lower row over the stove and under the window with those. Not the most perfect tiling job but they really look as if they were part of the original design.

No, My wife and I DYI our kitchen last year and could not find something we liked. So I suggested we texture and paint and if we didn't like the look, I would continue to search. No backsplash and we don't even notice.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Kitchen no backsplash.jpg
    Kitchen no backsplash.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 105
backsplash

previously I didn't have one. Just a formica counter top with the 4" lip on the back and a painted wall. I redid the kitchen last year and installed wood counter tops and a horizontal shiplap backsplash. I got the shiplap out of the Home Depot cull rack for 70% off.

No, My wife and I DYI our kitchen last year and could not find something we liked. So I suggested we texture and paint and if we didn't like the look, I would continue to search. No backsplash and we don't even notice.

attachment.php
Gio,
Looks nice. I like the white over gray look.
JP

Here are a few shots of our kitchen. We have wood trim around the counter, but I wouldn't consider that a backsplash. Dish bumper maybe? :)

Our counter tops are basic laminate, but my wife fell in love with the leaf look when we found it. The pattern never photographs well, but it looks like a layer of leaves. Works great for us, never wanted or needed anything else. Of course, we love lots of wood too.

Attachments

• 2021-04-06 152700 - Repainting the kitchen.jpg
    2021-04-06 152700 - Repainting the kitchen.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 2021-04-06 152701 - Repainting the kitchen.jpg
    2021-04-06 152701 - Repainting the kitchen.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2021-04-06 152702 - Repainting the kitchen.jpg
    2021-04-06 152702 - Repainting the kitchen.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom