Do you have a "Plan B"?

Plan B? After 9 years I’m already in Plan D. At this rate, I’m gonna look like an excel spreadsheet with too many columns ... plan AA, plan AB...

Of course, every time I hit plan B I could just rename it A. Then, even after a major crisis I can still say “hey – my plan “A” is working fine” :D

I guess you could call it a Plan B. If the market drops another 50% we would still have enough to cash out and pay off the house. With the house paid off in Tx, we could defer our Property Tax. The combination would reduce our cash outflow by 33%. If that were not enough, I guess I would have to start working on DW to go back to work. Call that Plan C. I don't see having much success with Plan C!

My plan B is when I see I can not afford assisted living housing. I'm thinking about committing some sort of crime that can land me in one of those federal prisons with a country club feel. Federal prisoners get some of the best health care in the world.

Dex your best chance to get in such a prison would be to go into politics :)

Which reminds me,

There was a recent survey where 86% of Illinois politicians reported they had had sex in the shower.

The other 14% indicated they had not yet been to jail :LOL:

Not yet, but boy am I starting to think I better come up with one PDQ. Plan A was to continue working and maxing out my Roth and 457 plan for at least another three years, probably four just to be sure. Now my workload is down so much I am getting really worried. Nobody has said the "L" word--yet--in this department--but layoffs have been announced in another department and mine can't keep paying me full time indefinitely when my workload is down to perhaps a quarter of what it was last year (and the second half of last year it was drastically lower than the first half of the year or 2007), unless there is some other work I can do in addition to my regular assignment to get back to full time. I'm applying for some lateral transfer openings but if I don't get any of those....

On top of the job concerns, a big part of my ER plan was and is the equity in my house, but I have to wonder if the value of the house is dropping more each year than I am able to put away in my retirement fund? It sure wouldn't sell for what it was appraised for three years ago when I refi'd.(Where/how do get this info?) The other variable is how much pension I am eligible for. At least if I get laid off I could at least theoretically start drawing it right away, which makes me a little less nervous than I would have been if this had happened two years ago when I could not have done so. I might be able to delay my actual retirement date for a year by taking a sabbatical but need to check if this would actually accomplish anything. I may be eligible for a higher pension at age 54 than age 53, even with the same base salary and years of service.

So far, Plan B consists of reading Mortgage Free (by Rob Roy) to see how it might be possible to acquire a house for much less than what I was planning on spending (half the equity, give or take). (Well, that and wringing my hands a lot. :() If I can put all the money from selling my house into something that produces an income stream, and use that for pay-as-I-go construction, instead of buying a house with cash up front as I originally planned, maybe I would come out about as well as with Plan A. I've been planning to build the house myself anyway, that's a long-standing dream.

Maybe it won't be so awful, even if I do get laid off. I was un/deremployed for the better part of 3 years during the recession of the early 1980's and I find I have not gottten over it as much as I thought I had. This is making me mega-nervous. Maybe I have PTSD. I was traumatized, that's for sure!

My plan B was to keep my license to practice law at least in one state after I retired. I just attended two seminars to get some CLE credits required for the license.

Not yet, but boy am I starting to think I better come up with one PDQ. Plan A was to continue working and maxing out my Roth and 457 plan for at least another three years, probably four just to be sure. Now my workload is down so much I am getting really worried. Nobody has said the "L" word--yet--in this department--but layoffs have been announced in another department and mine can't keep paying me full time indefinitely when my workload is down to perhaps a quarter of what it was last year (and the second half of last year it was drastically lower than the first half of the year or 2007), unless there is some other work I can do in addition to my regular assignment to get back to full time. I'm applying for some lateral transfer openings but if I don't get any of those....

On top of the job concerns, a big part of my ER plan was and is the equity in my house, but I have to wonder if the value of the house is dropping more each year than I am able to put away in my retirement fund? It sure wouldn't sell for what it was appraised for three years ago when I refi'd.(Where/how do get this info?) The other variable is how much pension I am eligible for. At least if I get laid off I could at least theoretically start drawing it right away, which makes me a little less nervous than I would have been if this had happened two years ago when I could not have done so. I might be able to delay my actual retirement date for a year by taking a sabbatical but need to check if this would actually accomplish anything. I may be eligible for a higher pension at age 54 than age 53, even with the same base salary and years of service.

So far, Plan B consists of reading Mortgage Free (by Rob Roy) to see how it might be possible to acquire a house for much less than what I was planning on spending (half the equity, give or take). (Well, that and wringing my hands a lot. :() If I can put all the money from selling my house into something that produces an income stream, and use that for pay-as-I-go construction, instead of buying a house with cash up front as I originally planned, maybe I would come out about as well as with Plan A. I've been planning to build the house myself anyway, that's a long-standing dream.

Maybe it won't be so awful, even if I do get laid off. I was un/deremployed for the better part of 3 years during the recession of the early 1980's and I find I have not gottten over it as much as I thought I had. This is making me mega-nervous. Maybe I have PTSD. I was traumatized, that's for sure!

Working and trying to build a retirement, while having layoffs hanging over your head and a house that is losing value, is traumatic in itself!! I am hoping for the best for you. Meanwhile, a rational Plan B is a good thing to consider.

Plan A was retire in mid-40s. Like most we took a pretty big hit in equities but if things bounce back within five years and we can both stay employed at same income level Plan A is still a possibility.

Plan B, is (of course) retire at around 50 if recovery takes longer or our income level drops due significantly.

Plan C is work until mid 50s when wife can take city pension. Definitely a nice safety net.

Plan A Live off pension
Plan B Live off investments
Plan C Sell kidney
Plan D Sell other kidney

Plan A - retire on an early out at age 50 when LH retired at age 55. It was not destined to happen. :'(
Plan B - restarted life at age 46, kept w*rking, maxed out TSP contributions to the IRS limit for 2 years to accelerate FIRE escape plan.
Plan C - FIREd at age 48 :clap:, adopted balanced 50/50 AA, just in case.
Plan C.1 - Still FIREd, adopted 40/60 AA, just in case, again. :(
Plan C.2 - stay the course, stay FIREd, get married. :flowers:
Plan C.3 - enjoy life after dh2b retires...travel, picnic, fly kites, build sandcastles, whale watch, co-ed nekked everything :blush:, etc.

Plan D - the answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind...^-^

I need to replenish my bucket 1 (I been ER for 4 years - bucket 1 is down to 6 months of living expenses - which makes me nervous). My buckets 2 and 3 seem to have a hole in the bottom.

So instead of selling assets in bucket 3 to replenish 1, I am going back to work for 2 years starting next month. I figure in 2 years I can save 3 years of living expenses so maybe in 5 years bucket 3 will not look like a bad train wreck with no survivors.

I was reading Dex post above. How bad is prison life? That sounds like a possible plan b instead of going back to work? :greetings10:

I was reading Dex post above. How bad is prison life? That sounds like a possible plan b instead of going back to work? :greetings10:
Nah, you don't want to do that. Trust me.
sFun_jail.gif

My "Plan A", to retire comfortably on the portfolio I was accumulating (and foolishly leveraged) in a few years is a plan I have had to abandon.
My mother and aunt both died young, a few years older than I am now, so I am becoming increasingly conscious of my mortality.
I have to delay retirement. For how long I don't know, one would be a fool to try to predict anything in this global financial upheaval.

So....it is time for Plan B

And here it is: I have taken most of my money out of the market and have purchased my retirement condo. A block away from the ocean, you can see the water at the building's entrance. Premature and foolish? Maybe. But I have my reasons. I hope to live there 6 weeks this summer and various times throughout the year.

My DH and I still live in our home close to our work, but we will be using the second residence as often as possible. It is a two bedroom and my neice rents the one room as it is close to her university. Her rent covers the taxes/heat and modest condo fee.
I have someone to take care of the place when I am not there. I have arranged a self-funded sabbatical in three years time and will have at least one year to savour the FIRE lifestyle. After that I will see about perhaps working less (job share?).

Regretting my previous financial missteps does not do any good. I have paid off my debts and mortgage and I will continue to set aside 50% of my take home pay to buy ETF stocks or low MER mutual funds regularly over the next few years to build back my investment portfolio. Anyone else have a "Plan B"?

Frugal,
I've read em all and as good as some are I think your plan "B" is definately the best. Your great attitude is evident. You obviously realize none of us are promised another day and you've found a way to invest that allows you to enjoy the investment .. I hope you live to be 100 but at the same time we need to live for today...Enjoy your lemonade...Thanks for the reminder... Good luck...

Nah, you don't want to do that. Trust me.
sFun_jail.gif

The job I am taking is in Riyadh but may moved to Baghdad in July of this year. If I agree to take the job tomorrow I would be obligated to move with it for 20 months. That and I found out today I have to take the Anthrax shots. I would normally turn it down for that reason alone. Can you make the market jump 15% tomorrow before 2pm EST (when I have to tell them if I will accept)? :flowers:

Plan B: Wait at least 6 more years until the youngest graduate from college. Meanwhile, work and save as much as possible.

Plan A - ER when DD graduates HS in June (was the plan 2 yrs ago, after I was released from one set of megacorp's golden handcuffs as of end '08), this plan is already inoperable, but I'm still working...

Plan B - Dutifully place hands behind my back while megacorp places new set of shiny handcuffs on me, will require another 3 years or so, but still working out details

Plan C - Don't accept the handcuffs, stay with megacorp anyway until things stabilize in the market and hope I don't get canned for not accepting the handcuffs, live a little more frugally in ER

Plan D - ER anyway (or get canned), live just above barebones budget for 2-3 years (from portfolio) until RE market stabilizes, sell McMansion, buy something for $200-250k (saving/investing the remaining 700-750k), increase budget in line with 3.5% SWR from excess proceeds from McMansion.

However it ends up, I hope to...

Plan A: Work another 5 years. Retire in Bellingham.
Plan B: Go back to Bellingham, do odd jobs. Wife continues to work. We both take SS as late as possible. (We are close to being forced to do this right now.)
Plan C: Sell everything. Move to Mexico.
Plan D: Rob a bank in Canada. Worst case: I get away with it. Actually, they might deport me. Bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom