Do you have a zero withdrawal rate?

The thing no matter what our intentions are for our portfolio we are have something that runs through your blood. It is being frugal we are savers so those dominating traits are with us. So good on the 0 to 1% WR people that is awesome.

We are also well below the 1% WR but have a plan for what is left at the end. He also spend on everything we want and need so just to spend isn't in our blood.

My pension covers all our expenses. We are both still too young to collect SS but will take it at 62 per our pension plan requirements. I have a second pension that starts at age 62 also along with SS. The only withdrawals made from our investments is from our taxable accounts to pay income tax on interest income that our excess pension can't cover. The balance is re-invested in money markets or bonds. We are going to shift to an ultra conservative capital preservation strategy soon (CDs, money market, treasuries) to eliminate all market risk going forward. Unless bonds become a bargain, this strategy won't change. The proceeds from bond maturities and coupon payments are now being invested in money market funds and CDs so the process has started. We have no plans to withdraw from tax deferred accounts until at least age 70.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself... and running out of dough

It's almost like a 0 withdrawal rate is the Red Badge of Courage or something.

Perhaps it is more the Yellow Badge of Fear: fear of some radical departure from historical economic patterns, fear of unplanned increases in expenses, fear of an overlooked error in one's calculations, etc.

In my introductory post I recounted the tale of my first boss at the start of my career in 1980. He was born during World War 1, and would serve in both WW2 and Korea. Typical of his generation, he had a lifelong horror of debt; another Great Depression or WW could be right around the corner. He was LBYM before it was cool.

He had been offered an opportunity to retire early in 1978 with a golden parachute, a pension and a hefty wad of savings. He already was 62 and had more $$ than he would ever spend. But the Depression Paradigm, i.e., "the cushion can never be too thick", kicked in and he declined the package, deciding to w*rk a few more years to pad the mattress a bit more.

I'm not saying that was the right decision, since in early 1982 he contracted liver cancer and was dead in 3 months. But it was, for me, an important lesson in how fear can govern our decisions more powerfully than data will.

Last edited:
Based on what we spent the last 12 months, my projection for the immediate future, and what my wife's SS is, we will spend way less than the interest and dividend income from the stash. I can't go as low as 0% WR even if I start to draw my own SS, but do I need or care to have 0% WR?

I can spend more on "stuff", but I do not see anything worthwhile to get. Even travel is getting tiresome. The way it's going, I can see myself homebound by the time I get to 70. :)

Just staying home and just to spend on food and other necessities, I can see doing 0%WR when I start SS at 70. Oh boy!

Last edited:
Perhaps it is more the Yellow Badge of Fear: fear of some radical departure from historical economic patterns, fear of unplanned increases in expenses, fear of an overlooked error in one's calculations, etc.

In my introductory post I recounted the tale of my first boss at the start of my career in 1980. He was born during World War 1, and would serve in both WW2 and Korea. Typical of his generation, he had a lifelong horror of debt; another Great Depression or WW could be right around the corner. He was LBYM before it was cool.

He had been offered an opportunity to retire early in 1978 with a golden parachute, a pension and a hefty wad of savings. He already was 62 and had more $$ than he would ever spend. But the Depression Paradigm, i.e., "the cushion can never be too thick", kicked in and he declined the package, deciding to w*rk a few more years to pad the mattress a bit more.

I'm not saying that was the right decision, since in early 1982 he contracted liver cancer and was dead in 3 months. But it was, for me, an important lesson in how fear can govern our decisions more powerfully than data will.

Maybe it was not fear but knowledge that well made plans can turn South due to unforeseen circumstances.

.... Even travel is getting tiresome. The way it's going, I can see myself homebound by the time I get to 70. :)

Just staying home and just to spend on food and other necessities, I can see doing 0%WR when I start SS at 70. Oh boy!

I know a couple of old folks mid 80's and 90's who basically have a 0% withdrawal rate, living on SS only. They both have a few $100K invested.

For them it's true, they have means, but not the desire to travel or buy more stuff.

Yes, sorry. Zero draw from principal, savings. I’ll search , never heard of SIRE before.

I see all the time people posting about their 3,4,5 percent withdrawal rates. Just unsure what this actually means and where they are withdrawing from.

If you have $1M portfolio and you withdraw $40,000 each year that would be a 4% withdrawal rate.
It doesn't have anything to do with growth or dividends or interest.

the WR as i understand it ( and i could easily be wrong )
is say, 4% of the asset value of the investment portfolio ( stocks , bonds and cash deposits ) at the end of each year ( or financial year if you like ) ( this 'grand total' would add divs, interest and capital gains to the $$$ value used to calculate the WR possible )

while i myself reject this concept ( but then i don't have 'millions more than i will ever need ) , i can see where this would work for those with big nest eggs and plenty of dreams to chase .

is say, 4% of the asset value of the investment portfolio ( stocks , bonds and cash deposits ) at the end of each year ( or financial year if you like ) ( this 'grand total' would add divs, interest and capital gains to the $$$ value used to calculate the WR possible )

Could you rewrite the above, I don't understand what you said. If I do, I may disagree.

while i myself reject this concept ( but then i don't have 'millions more than i will ever need ) , i can see where this would work for those with big nest eggs and plenty of dreams to chase .
On what grounds do you reject the concept?
Do you know where the 4% idea came from?

** On what grounds do you reject the concept?
Do you know where the 4% idea came from? **

i have limited savings , probably not enough if inflation kicks in , or i need major medical care ( and linger on for years afterwards ) ,so a drawdown ( of any size ) except in emergencies is probably not a safe choice , for me

the second reason is one can rarely guess future inflation it could easily be over 10% is say 10 years time , all you need is a credit crunch and nervous lenders

4% seems to be the figure the fund managers selling annuaties came up with to allow most retirees to have on income in their later years ( but what if you live beyond 100 , that income might look pretty slim then )

*** Could you rewrite the above, I don't understand what you said. If I do, I may disagree. ***

consider your asset base as the $$$ value of your stocks , bonds and cash deposts at the end of the 12 months ( calendar year , of financial year , whichever works for you ) any dividends and interest that hasn't been spent in the last 12 months should have been reivested or sitting in a cash deposit account so would get counted in the $$ value of the portfolio )

those with property assets MIGHT keep profits from them in a seperate fund for ( property related ) emergency expenses ( burst pipes , fires , storm damage etc ) ( and if that fund is overflowing maybe even buy some more investment property )

now others might disagree that i treat property assets seperately but i consider them illiquid assets ( it might take 12 months or more to sell them at 'a fair price ' when YOU really need that cash .. say in the middle of a credit crunch or property downturn )

( and disagreeing is fine by me this a forum where we can swap views and opinions )

cheers

0% withdrawal rate here.
But I do work PT, and so it doesn't count.
(•‿•)

** On what grounds do you reject the concept?
Do you know where the 4% idea came from? **

i have limited savings , probably not enough if inflation kicks in , or i need major medical care ( and linger on for years afterwards ) ,so a drawdown ( of any size ) except in emergencies is probably not a safe choice , for me

the second reason is one can rarely guess future inflation it could easily be over 10% is say 10 years time , all you need is a credit crunch and nervous lenders

OK, it sounds like you are retired, but your net worth does not return enough income to support your expenses. Fair enough, you're certainly not in the minority. In your case the 4% guide line, just means, if you want that money pool to last 30 years, only spend 4% each year.

If inflation gets crazy, most assets also increase. I remember 10% 1 year CDs at my local bank in the 80s, now they are just above 2%.

4% seems to be the figure the fund managers selling annuities came up with to allow most retirees to have on income in their later years ( but what if you live beyond 100 , that income might look pretty slim then)
Actually the 4% guide line was from "William Bengen (a financial planner from El Cajon, California) in a 1994 series of papers, published in the Journal of Financial Planning", it was then backed up by the Trinity study.
The 4% Guideline simply stated says, you can invest you nest egg (mostly in the stock market) and withdraw 4% of it each year and have a good chance that you will still have money after 30 years. The success rate is well above 90% and I think closer to 96%. The 4% from the first year is indexed to inflation, so you are allowed to withdraw 4% plus an inflation adjustment each year.

*** Could you rewrite the above, I don't understand what you said. If I do, I may disagree. ***

consider your asset base as the $$$ value of your stocks , bonds and cash deposts at the end of the 12 months ( calendar year , of financial year , whichever works for you ) any dividends and interest that hasn't been spent in the last 12 months should have been reivested or sitting in a cash deposit account so would get counted in the $$ value of the portfolio )
All that to say- Networth

those with property assets MIGHT keep profits from them in a seperate fund for ( property related ) emergency expenses ( burst pipes , fires , storm damage etc ) ( and if that fund is overflowing maybe even buy some more investment property )
I think those are still part of your networth. But we all should have an easily accessible 6 month emergency fund.

now others might disagree that i treat property assets seperately but i consider them illiquid assets ( it might take 12 months or more to sell them at 'a fair price ' when YOU really need that cash .. say in the middle of a credit crunch or property downturn )

( and disagreeing is fine by me this a forum where we can swap views and opinions )

cheers

Ya, if you are highly leveraged*, you might need to have a larger emergency fund. But if you are living on 4%, a lot would need to go wrong to force a sale. After all, the properties are supposed to be income producing, so do they all stop producing at the same time to force a sale.
The 4% is supposed to work through stock market drops of 30%, just hang on with your 4% Withdrawal Rate, until things turn around.

*if the properties are highly leveraged then your net worth is somewhere else, not in the property, so you should have that money somewhere.
Point is a highly leveraged property doesn't add much to your net worth.

Thanks for the discussion :)

You misunderstand the 4% "rule".

The 4% rule is that your first withdrawal is 4% of your retirement portfolio.... subsequent withdrawals are the prior year withdrawal plus inflation. All income... interest, dividends and stock appreciation is retained in the portfolio.

You may wonder, since historical rates of return are 8% or more, why is it necessary to limit withdrawals to 4%? It is because of sequence of returns risk, where under some scenarios of poor investment returns early in retirement that the poor investment returns, along with the impact of withdrawals, can result in financial ruin for long time horizons common to retirement (30 years of more).

So if someone retires with $1 million, the first year withdrawal is $40.0k.... and if inflation is 2% the second year withdrawal is $40.8k, if the next yer's inflation is 3% the third year withdrawal is $42.0k... etc.

The 4% rule is based on the "Trinity Study", which suggested that portfolios dominated by stocks had a 95% or higher success rate is inflation adjusted withdrawals were limited to 4% or less of the initial portfolio balance and then subsequently adjusted for inflation.

https://www.aaii.com/files/pdf/6794...ing-a-withdrawal-rate-that-is-sustainable.pdf

Table 3 presents portfolio success rates based on the methodology used in Table 1 but with the addition of withdrawals adjusted for inflation and deflation. Immediately noticeable is the dramatic decline in many of the portfolio success rates, especially for mid-level and high withdrawal rates. Despite the adjustment, however, withdrawal rates of 3% to 4% continue to produce high portfolio success rates for stock-dominated portfolios. Even the 5% withdrawal rate produces reasonably high portfolio success rates for all payout periods, but the 6% and 7% rates perform reasonably well only for short payout periods. All withdrawal rates above 7% perform poorly for all payout periods.

For stock-dominated portfolios, withdrawal rates of 3% and 4% represent exceedingly conservative behavior. At these rates, retirees who wish to bequeath large estates to their heirs will likely be successful. Ironically, even those retirees who adopt higher withdrawal rates and who have little or no desire to leave large estates may end up doing so if they act reasonably prudent in protecting themselves from prematurely exhausting their portfolio. Table 4 shows large expected terminal values of portfolios under numerous reasonably prudent scenarios that include withdrawal rates greater than 4%.

Last edited:
Or social security. Or other forms of passive income, like royalty payments or passive income from a business that you own.

That's a slippery slope.... why would royalties or passive income from a business that you own be any different from interest on a bond? All are passive income from an asset that you own.

That's a slippery slope.... why would royalties or passive income from a business that you own be any different from interest on a bond? All are passive income from an asset that you own.
I agree it can be a slippery slope, but I think if someone is not working and their income is passive in nature, then it would be fair to call them retired because the word "retire" refers to whether you work. You can't be retired and continue to work and receive earned income, but you can be retired and receive passive income. I think the key question is whether the income is truly passive, or whether you still have to do some work to earn the income. If someone owns rental property and they manage the property they have to do work so the income is not passive.

Let's take a famous example...Bill Gates owns millions of shares in Microsoft that presumably pay him lots and lots of dividends each year. So if he stops working completely (I know he works in his charitable foundation) is he not retired just because he receives dividend payments from the company that he founded? I say no, he would be retired despite having passive income and I would say the same thing for anyone who invests in stocks or bonds and then retires (defined as no longer working) and lives off the dividends from those stocks and bonds...they are retired.

Last edited:
I agree... retired is defined by not working... not the nature of the sources of your income.

Would the etc include CD interest? bond interest? preferred stock dividends? stock dividends?

On a different topic, is it fair to say that if you have live at least partially off retireemnt savings a super low withdrawl rate that you worked longer than you needed to? (other than working long enough to be vested in your pension or getting a certain amount of pension for plans with unsymetrical benefits calculations).

Last edited:
Would the etc include CD interest? bond interest? preferred stock dividends? stock dividends?

On a different topic, is it fair to say that if you have live at least partially off retireemnt savings a super low withdrawl rate that you worked longer than you needed to? (other than working long enough to be vested in your pension or getting a certain amount of pension for plans with unsymetrical benefits calculations).

Haha just threw the "etc" in there.
I would say living off stock dividends as an example would not be SIRE, as I look at it as a total return concept.
To me, aside from tax implications, taking a stock dividend is not any different than withdrawing principle and reinvesting the dividends.

To me, aside from tax implications, taking a stock dividend is not any different than withdrawing principle and reinvesting the dividends.
I agree that if you ignore the differences, it is exactly the same.
:cool:

As I see it, one can have a zero withdrawl rate if they take the income, but do not touch the principal. So if one has worked and accumulated a nest egg to retire on, then invests the nest egg in income producing things (stocks, bonds, CDs, real estate) there would be a zero withdrawl rate if they spend the income that the nest egg produces, but do not touch the principal, which would be killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. It is really the same as buying a business or rental property and living on the income that it produces.

This is what I aim for in retirement, but I am still working, so we will see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom