Do you know HOW TO retire-early ???

Sometimes all the best intentions and planning cannot totally prepare someone for what (early) retirement will feel like. I left work in December 2011, thinking I was "done". Interestingly, away from all the stress and lack of life-work balance, I was able to think clearly about what I wanted to do next for the first time in quite a while. Turns out that I was not done with work, just done with my first career. The pause has been incredibly rejuvenating. Getting to "play", be a better mother and daughter, and deepen friendships are the rewards. I am re-entering the work force with a sense of excitement, in a new field, just after the New Year. For those who have anxiety about leaving the cocoon of work, taking a baby step (sabbatical) might be an option worth considering.

.... Interestingly, away from all the stress and lack of life-work balance, I was able to think clearly about what I wanted to do next for the first time in quite a while. Turns out that I was not done with work, just done with my first career. The pause has been incredibly rejuvenating. Getting to "play", be a better mother and daughter, and deepen friendships are the rewards. ....

Here's hoping you won't be insulted by an attagrrl :angel:

Tyro

I'm 46 but envision NO regrets when I finally pull the plug on working (right now scheduled for age 60). I've had a job of some sort since I was 13...delivering newspapers, then in high school working at McDonald's, then in college, working campus jobs and a couple of paid writing jobs (30 hours a week of work when I was a senior in college), and then I've worked since. It has been a long road, and while I don't wish away the next 13+ years until I turn 60, I do eagerly await the day I do not HAVE to work any more. Maybe I will just coach track and field or become a track and field official for fun...or play in a blues band (I'm a blues/rock keyboardist), or run more marathons or travel a bit or whatever. I have LOTS of things I want to do when not tied to a money-making job anymore.

Fair question. I already discussed a few reasons in previous posts in the past, including insurance-driven medicine, litigation, obnoxious MAs, some very difficult patient situations, etc. At the same time, I have reached a new stage in my life. I am 47 now, so maybe the need to FIRE is a sign of my own "mid life crisis" :)

Lots of recent articles suggest that many doc's feel decades of constant & increasing stress of medical practice wears them down to the point of burn out. While there are obvious rewards to practicing medicine, I find nothing wrong with doc (or anyone else) deciding to RE before the stress takes its toll on one's skills- or one's health. But that decision to RE may be tougher for docs because it's usu irrevocable. The US system can make it very difficult to re-enter clinical practice after significant time away.

ERhoosier said:
Lots of recent articles suggest that many doc's feel decades of constant & increasing stress of medical practice wears them down to the point of burn out. While there are obvious rewards to practicing medicine, I find nothing wrong with doc (or anyone else) deciding to RE before the stress takes its toll on one's skills- or one's health. But that decision to RE may be tougher for docs because it's usu irrevocable. The US system can make it very difficult to re-enter clinical practice after significant time away.

It's interesting how different people view how they want to live out their life. My best friends family doctor is in his 80s having his practice for probably over 40 years. He works 4 hours a day, 4 days a week, and only takes cash. I guess that is his way of enjoying what he does without the aggravating paperwork that probably is a major pain for doctors.

I was pretty sure I might be bored, so I'm signing up to do an Ironman. Anything to keep from having to vacumn:cool:

Guarantee that will leave little time for boredom! I did one last fall, & my 30wk training program peaked around 15-18hrs/wk of exercise (PLUS time to/from pool, biking roads, showering, etc.). Last summer all I did was w@rk, train, eat, & sleep. Never again! At least not until ER ;)
This weekend I'm running another marathon (my 2nd this year in celebration of turning the double nickel).

Exercise= the only real fountain of youth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom