Do you still care about the state of the world or just focus on your own life?

I follow very closely what is going on in Ukraine because the result may lead to a new world order with enormous consequences.

I get my news from local/national tv and/or news apps. I pick and choose each day.
I also have a "Good NewsNetwork" app--that I read daily--helps offset the doom&gloom that seems to be all the rage.
I try not to get worked up about things beyond my control. I feel thankful and blessed every day.
I vote for sure, every time. I donate to causes that I feel work towards a better life on earth, for someone.
I have great faith in the younger generations.

If you do not read the newspaper you are uninformed.

If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.

Actually, according to the rare articles that talk about it, life in many respects is in better shape than ever. World hunger has never been lower, world health and human life expectancy have never been better, but that doesn't sell papers or clicks so it doesn't get reported on much. That is not to say that all is well but the trends are getting better rather than worse.

What would the King of England 300 years ago have given for central heating, central A/C, food that wasn't likely to poison you, antibiotics, surgeons who had a clue about anatomy and biology, the word "cancer" was a death sentence, slowly and painfully, and the list goes on...

But you'd never think about any of that reading the news.

I very much agree with this and Frayne's earlier point.

There is a lot wrong in the world but there always has been and always will be. The media is very good at bringing us every bit of bad new globally the minute it happens. Two guys get killed in a bar fight in in Sweden? You're going to hear about it. Add in the echo chamber of social media, the "Breaking News" of the breathless industrial media and a pinch of "and its all your fault" social hand wringing and you've got a pretty toxic brew.

We have significant issues at home and abroad. Some are the usual kind -- megalomaniacs -- and some are newer like global warming. But in the past we had nazis, the nuclear arms race, communism, McCarthy-ism, slavery ... and society found its way through.

I reflect often on the fact that DD1 is about to get a doctorate while DD2 is gay and about to get an engineering degree. 50 years ago they would not likely have had those options and DD2 would have to hide who she was. I'll take the progress.

Every generation thinks the world is getting worse. My parents grew up during the Great Depression and WWII. There was Korea, Vietnam, the Cold War, the Gulf War, another Gulf War and Afghanistan, not to mention all the little wars and genocide happening in places many people never hear about. Rarely is there a generation that isn’t affected by war or other major catastrophe.
We still survive as a species and the sun still rises every morning. We adapt to changes. We will continue on.

At my age, I am grateful we do not have children. I would worry every day.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I would hate to think I had kids growing up in this world because it's going downhill quickly, and I don't see these things as reversible. Sure we have technological advances to help with some things, but that doesn't make up for the fall of society and the planet that is accelerating.

Last edited:
Local news is useless and I don't need them for the weather reports that I can get better reporting elsewhere and rush hour is not an issue anymore. World news is full of stories that also seem to be not much more than a means to garner more advertising dollars. All of the reporting is negative and depressing and run the same stories on every station.
Not much confidence in people's behavior that is the root of most of the problems so there isn't much I can do but worry. So what is the point.
I have done what I can and there aren't too many years left so I just hope those years are not too uncomfortable. Good Luck to all the "youngsters" who may have to deal with the damage to the world.

We believe that the only truth left is in sport statistics and the stock market numbers. After that, we're being lied to. Every day. All day. Everything is agenda driven. IMO.

Things are not even half as bad as we're being told. Just leave me alone.

I start every bit of news with "what's it got to do with me?" and go from there.

I follow the news daily thru a small select number of sources, and I think about issues often, but I realize there’s little I can do about 99% of it. I’d rather stay informed, though I’d have less to worry about it I wasn’t. Maybe one day I’ll stop following the news. It does concern me how opinions and misinformation have taken over traditional news - objective news is very rare, and most people seems happily siloed. Sad.

I miss Walter Cronkite!

Follow, yes, but only because events may make me buy a one way plane ticket out of here.
I have thought about that for quite a few years but have never found a place that would be any safer or be an environment that doesn't have some serious down sides. Do you have any recommendations?

I care about things locally. DW and I try to make a difference in our community.

But other than that, I've lost interest. I do stay informed enough to vote, but then I don't let it get to me if my candidate doesn't win.

I would spend more time reading the news if I could find a source of 'news' and not 'opinon'.

A few themes here. 1) I don't Care. This is probably the worst. This is exactly what those seeking power want you to feel. Give up. Don't bother fighting us. Just be good little sheep and let us run things. If nothing else, you should at least care!

2) I can't Change anything anyway. This is false. The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Look for ways to elevate the conversation. Push back against BS and hateful ideology. Support honest journalism. Call out bias and partisanship wherever you see it.

3) The whole world is going downhill. I've heard this my whole life, usually from old people. These people lived through the depression and two world wars, but they still thought it was all going to fall apart in the 60's. Frankly, so did the (then) younger generations. Listen to Barry McGuire's Eve of Destruction (1965.) Yet, somehow we survived.

Life has never been easy. There have always been challenges. As Billy Joel said, We Didn't Start the Fire. But the arc of history does bend in a positive direction. Never quickly enough, and there certainly are setbacks. We could be starting one now.

I'm convinced we have about a 50-50 chance of entering a new Dark Ages, or at least a massive restructuring of the international power structure. The war on truth, the hatred, denigration of science and journalism are all hallmarks of despots and dictators.

What can we do? Avoid apathy. Speak up. Listen to others you think you disagree with. They usually have a good reason for feeling that way. You might find more common ground than you think. But always challenge the BS. And vote.

Last edited:
I was in the news biz for 35 years, mostly at a daily paper with about 300k circulation at its peak. Everything we put on the page was edited for errors at least three times. That includes stuff like, does the story support the lead; does the story's conclusion stand up to the facts as reported; as well as more mundane points like grammar, spelling, etc. We worked hard to see that our reporting was solid because, if it wasn't, boy we'd hear about it. And not just from the boss, but from readers AND other news outlets that would "borrow" our stories and then comment on them.
I came up from small-town journalism, where readers who took issue with our content wouldn't just call to complain -- they'd walk in the door. We had a guard at the entrance at the big paper.
The days of an energetic, questioning copy desk are over, and the newspaper shells that remain have declined because of it. There are a few exceptions such as the big national newspapers. I'm also a big fan of executive editor Mark Katches at the Tampa Bay Times. I worked with Mark for several years -- the man is a Pulitzer machine. Dedicated, energetic ... a model journalist.
In retrospect, the one standing policy common to most local/regional news organizations that I regret is to report police accounts of events unquestioningly. Police are regarded as "qualified" sources -- as they say, they write the reports. Citizens with phones have revealed how flawed that policy can be.

Last edited:
By objective the measure of getting bonked on the head and loosing all of your worldly goods, the world has been, over the long run, improving. If you want a treaties on that topic, read Steven Pinker's Better Angels book.

Although I never watch or read any news sources directly, I am connected to world events through certain activities. This board is one such activity that I use for financial "news". I get perspective from thinkers on different topics through their podcasts.

I don't know how humanity will manage the threats to it's existence (nuclear annihilation, other-worldly dogma that prescribes that most people die, artificial intelligence 'control problem'). My feelings go from, "we will figure it out" to "I'm glad I won't be around to have to deal with it" :D

After an existential crisis a few years ago I stumbled on some books that saved me and brought me back from the edge. Several of you have expressed a worldview similar to the one I used to share, so I feel compelled to share two books and one website/newsletter/podcast in the hopes of bringing you some hope and peace of mind.

Apocalypse Never - Michael Shellenberger
https://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Never-Environmental-Alarmism-Hurts/dp/0063001691

The End of Doom - Ronald Bailey
https://www.amazon.com/End-Doom-Env...x=end+of+doom,stripbooks-intl-ship,214&sr=1-1

Future Crunch - We Report Good News
https://futurecrunch.com/

To more directly address the original question, I think you can care about the state of the world *and* focus on your own life. The two are not mutually exclusive.

However, caring about the world does not mean you should obsess over 'news' coverage of every little piece of bad news around the world. Care and go forth doing good. Ignore the purveyors of doom and gloom.

I just think almost everyone in the world is going mad, and that is being nice. They are either fighting and killing each other, complaining about their lot in life or just thinking of anything contrary to their fellow countrymen and women. Not to mention forcing their own ideas well intended or otherwise on anyone and everyone.

So, I do not give a S#$t anymore about anyone other than those we care about. As long as we remain sane and make sure our own lives are fruitful and fulfilling. I say "c'est la vie".

After an existential crisis a few years ago I stumbled on some books that saved me and brought me back from the edge. Several of you have expressed a worldview similar to the one I used to share, so I feel compelled to share two books and one website/newsletter/podcast in the hopes of bringing you some hope and peace of mind.

Apocalypse Never - Michael Shellenberger
https://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Never-Environmental-Alarmism-Hurts/dp/0063001691

The End of Doom - Ronald Bailey
https://www.amazon.com/End-Doom-Env...x=end+of+doom,stripbooks-intl-ship,214&sr=1-1

Future Crunch - We Report Good News
https://futurecrunch.com/

Thanks for the links. The books look interesting. I'll read both.

I just think almost everyone in the world is going mad, and that is being nice. They are either fighting and killing each other, complaining about their lot in life or just thinking of anything contrary to their fellow countrymen and women. Not to mention forcing their own ideas well intended or otherwise on anyone and everyone.

So, I do not give a S#$t anymore about anyone other than those we care about. As long as we remain sane and make sure our own lives are fruitful and fulfilling. I say "c'est la vie".
Fortunately it’s not everyone, but many media sources only show us the worst among us. Unfortunately the collective “we” has shown them we are about six times more likely to click/watch/read those stories than positives - so one could argue “we” only have ourselves to blame? They lose viewers who won’t watch all the negative stuff, and they’re left with those who’d rather watch negatives, many to feel better about themselves sadly. Add the profit motive driving most media these days, and the downward spiral is self reinforcing.

Last edited:
By coincidence I’m current reading “Welcome to the United States of Anxiety: Observations from a Reforming Neurotic” by Jen Lancaster. It’s very good and addresses some of this attitude.

Human progress is measured over centuries, generations and decades. There can be no doubt humanity has advanced greatly and continues to do so.

Progress is not a straight line sloping up and to the right. There are zigs and zags. Over shorter periods, like weeks, months and even years, progress is not as evident, and a constant stream of fear and negativity distorts our view.

Back
Top Bottom