Doc Watson - RIP May 29, 2012

ERD50

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I didn't see that anyone posted this. I saw Doc in concert a number of times, once with Merle, always a fantastic show. His guitar playing and voice were just outstanding. Was still fairly active up to the end, but didn't travel far from his NC home in later years. Many may know him from "Will the Circle be Unbroken" album.

Doc Watson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doc Watson, innovative guitarist and 'positive icon' for Appalachian region - CSMonitor.com

Solo Doc:
Doc Watson - 1991 - Deep River Blues (Solo) - YouTube

Doc with son Merle and others:

Doc & Merle Watson - Summertime - YouTube

Will the circle be unbroken
By and by, Lord, by and by
There's a better home awaiting
In the sky, Lord, in the sky.

RIP, Doc Watson.

-ERD50

Sorry to hear of his passing. When I lived In Venice in late 60s Doc and merle often came to the Ash Grove, which was on Melrose as I remember . We went to see him every time. Small, friendly place with seats and drinks. Once we went 2 nights running, and on the second night I whispered to my date- he seems much more relaxed tonight. He picked up his beer and gestured to where we were sitting and said-Uh-huh! The guy had some ears!

I liked all his music, loved it when he and Merle got going on The Tennessee Stud.

Ha

Last edited:
He was an American original. Saw him in the 60's at my small college, & again a couple of years ago.
But my first experience with his music was listening to his first album, which I (and others) wore out by slowing the turntable down with our thumb trying to figure out the notes he was playing, to copy on our guitars.

Doc was a NC native, same as me. I wish I had 1% of his guitar talent. I'll keep working on it till probably the end of my life, but know I'll never come even close to playing like him. RIP Doc Watson.

This man was a classic. RIP

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom