Does Anyone Proactively Replace Appliances/HVAC?

Absolutely!

I replaced a 20 yr old 3 ton gas pack AC/Heat unit even though it worked fine but sounded like a freight train outside the bedroom window. Mostly because I wanted to replace the ductwork too.

Also replaced a functioning 20 yr old gas water heater which had a 9 yr design life.

Rather replace that stuff on my terms, I hate surprises.

Hot water heater is the only one that should be proactively replaced because failure is often catastrophic, especially if it is located anywhere other than in an unfinished basement. And even then, it can do a lot of damage when it fails. Waiting until the basement is flooded and has taken out the heater, washer, and dryer is too late.

I think it is a water heater not a hot water heater, Lol.

We will replace our working refrigerator (12-13 years old) in the next several months. My wife has utterly despised it since we moved in in 2019, and her annoyance no longer seems to be worth the replacement cost.

We will replace our working refrigerator (12-13 years old) in the next several months. My wife has utterly despised it since we moved in in 2019, and her annoyance no longer seems to be worth the replacement cost.

What features of this refrigerator make it so despicable? I can see that if it constantly leaks water, or needs frequent repairs, and the like, but is it just some "feature" that makes her hate this refrigerator so much?

I'd like to avoid one like that in the future if there are characteristics to avoid.

What features of this refrigerator make it so despicable? I can see that if it constantly leaks water, or needs frequent repairs, and the like, but is it just some "feature" that makes her hate this refrigerator so much?
It is a bottom-of-the-line top freezer refrigerator with only a single temperature control, making it hard to get the freezer cold enough without the main compartment getting below freezing. So, there's a choice between soft ice cream and frozen lettuce.

She also wants a bottom freezer.

It is a bottom-of-the-line top freezer refrigerator with only a single temperature control, making it hard to get the freezer cold enough without the main compartment getting below freezing. So, there's a choice between soft ice cream and frozen lettuce.

She also wants a bottom freezer.

Other than water heaters and other high risk stuff that would create a major problem, my frugal nature is at odds with replacing anything that works - until it breaks or wears out. But I've had a few appliances I've really regretted purchasing for one reason or another. It always seems those are the ones that just. won't. die. Meanwhile the ones I like fail early. :facepalm:

Hmmmm .... short answer, "no," however ... still "operating" is the key issue and what does his mean.

Sometimes is can mean the appliance works - but, is ugly, unreliable, uses significantly more power than a replacement, or is significantly less capable is some way. Or, associated with a remodel.

Insurance companies have really targeted this concept in a manner to reduce THEIR risk - raising rates if you don't replace water heaters or roofs.

Electric heaters in areas with OK water, will last a LONG time, and for the most part their efficiency is consistent, assuming same insulation. Some newer heat pump water heaters are so much less expensive to run, if one has a BIG family, it might sometimes make sense.

We did swap out a 30 yr old "garage refrigerator" last month - horribly rusted outside, but just purring along - but only because we inherited a nicer garage refrigerator. Trash pickup service glad to remove it, but put an ad in Marketplace and a fellow came and picked it up. Yep, he needed a "garage refrigerator." :)

Last edited:
My 22 year old water heater worked fine, or so I thought. No leaks. But when I needed to replace thermocoupler I discovered the burner bar was crumbling. And the was some rust in other places. So I replaced it, reluctantly, and was surprised to suddenly have MUCH hotter water, and more of it. .... .

Sort of the reverse of the frog in the boiling water story.

I think I'm in the same boat. 15 year old water heater, and noticeably less hot water. I'll take your recommendation and do my research now before it goes.

Wait a minute, this isn't adding up.

Water heaters have thermostats - they run until the water is hot. If the burner was not operating well, it would just run longer to get the water hot. The water would not be hotter or colder, and there would not be more or less of it - the thermostat controls that.

Unless you were at the extreme that it was running 100% of the time, and still not getting the water hot. I wish all appliances had some sort of run time or % duty cycle display on them - you'd know if there was a problem before it got to the point of failure.

-ERD50

If you read the WSJ opedtoday, they detailed the latest efforts to outlaw many types of appliances by reducing the water a dishwasher can use by 30%; cut energy usage by 30%; and you have all heard about EPA deciding a gas stove is akin to child abuse. I say by 2 now while you can.

OK, this isn’t political,just what is in a mainstream newspaper 13 May.

If you read the WSJ opedtoday, they detailed the latest efforts to outlaw many types of appliances by reducing the water a dishwasher can use by 30%; cut energy usage by 30%; and you have all heard about EPA deciding a gas stove is akin to child abuse. I say by 2 now while you can.

OK, this isn’t political,just what is in a mainstream newspaper 13 May.

DW just runs the dishwasher twice because this new one doesn't seem to clean as well.

I watched my washing machine , as best I can and it's a top load. In the old days a top load filled up at least 1/2 way or more, so the clothes were all in the water.
Now it doesn't seem to do that.
I can't tell very well , as I'll need to defeat the lid lock, so I can keep it open when washing so I can watch.
The instructions on the lid show a bulk load as the tub being full of water, I think it's lying, or my washer is broken. :confused:

Anytime a major appliance reaches the 15+ year mark and starts making noise or is need of repair, I replace it.

After having 2 freezers die while we were away, we are now planning to buy a new one, when this one is 7 years old. This based on how long the other two lasted. We may purchase a new fridge at 10 years also for similar reasons.

Other appliances are less dire for us to replace. Typically we’ll wait until they die.

Exception is if we decide to change color of kitchen appliance when we buy any new one. I really like the dark stainless better than the regular stainless.

Back
Top Bottom