Dog Troubles

You could get him a companion:

Cx9Z1lth.jpg

You could get him a companion:

We have discussed this on several occasions. Would love for his temperament to rub off on another. We have had dogs for over 35 years, and may get another one again someday, but not now.

Its his normal size and style... except out side he leaves a pile... or trail as he goes and walks... Grandson call them Puppy Truffles... :LOL:

I'm also taking care of a senior pup and can relate. I call this situation 'yard sale' borrowed from skiers when a fall causes ski equipment to be scattered all over. I turn down the furnace and leave the back door open as much as possible, so the pup can go at will (fenced yard). Also, certain places I take him have the best smells and inspire him to walk further and ignore pain, to get digestive track operational.

The whole thing looks far more complicated than a person with dementia could handle on their own. There has to be a third party who will come along to verify the identity of the dead person. Right there you've got something that few would be willing to do - and could get in trouble back home for doing.

It's a catch-22, the time a person can do it, is when it's not really needed, but if wait until it's needed, a person can't do it.

It's a catch-22, the time a person can do it, is when it's not really needed, but if wait until it's needed, a person can't do it.

I just read the book In Love by Amy Bloom. It’s the true story of her husband, who was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s in his 60’s and chose to end his life at Dignitas. Heartbreaking, but also I feel it’s an option we should have access to in the US. We prolong life here, keeping people in Memory Care facilities for many years after quality of life has gone. Our “death with dignity” laws here don’t help people with many conditions such as Alzheimer’s due to all of the restrictions here.

It would be hard for many to make the decision he did, because he had to fully understand the decision and its consequences, so he decided soon after his diagnosis, long before his death would have likely occurred without intervention. His death was peaceful and painless and his wife was spared the years of agony of watching her husband waste away. Still, a sad story.

CAUGHT HIM....
Ever see a dog dreaming and acting like hes running? He was kicking his back legs and out pops one... I poor old thing... the look on his face when he woke up...

CAUGHT HIM....
Ever see a dog dreaming and acting like hes running? He was kicking his back legs and out pops one... I poor old thing... the look on his face when he woke up...

Is he maybe having a seizure? That’s what my 15 year old dog did - kicked all four legs with no control.
I know what your dog is doing is a little different but I would ask the Vet. My dog had smaller seizures that we didn’t realize was happening.

My 7 year old Terrier runs in his sleep all the time. And also makes little soft barks. I'd love to know what he is dreaming about.

My 7 year old Terrier runs in his sleep all the time. And also makes little soft barks. I'd love to know what he is dreaming about.
My retired greyhound does this, too. I guess he has work dreams like I do.

glad that problem is mostly solved :D
My rottie would run along the bedroom wall next to the bed, he was often perfectly positioned to rat-a tat-tat right along till he woke himself.

We think Sam is 16. We rescued him in 2008 and the vet said he was 2 y.o. He can no longer see or hear as good as he used to. His heart murmur is a 5, the worst end of the scale I think. He’s on 3 HBP meds and a painkiller at night for his cough so he can sleep. He’s mobile and gets around pretty good, just slowly. We give him a concentrated wet food from the vet every other day, to keep his weight up to the usual 9 lbs. He “holds it” pretty good, but sometimes when he knows he’s going out he loses it before he gets to the grass. Poor thing. I lead him down the stairs (1 flight) at the condo, because I don’t dare let him in the elevator with one in the chamber. After a walk and a #3 (that’s a #1 + a #2 😉 ) I do bring him back upstairs in the elevator, because of his heart murmur. He sleeps a lot, but from time to time he plays like the young Sammy, especially when one of the kids come visit.

Last edited:
Don’t mean to be mean but been through it several times- put him down. 🙏🏻

He sleeps a lot, but from time to time he plays like the young Sammy, especially when one of the kids come visit.

That is interesting because the dog I had growing up did that, too. When she was very old and not doing well, she was still all happy and younger acting when I came to visit only, even though my parents loved her very much, doted on her and I'm sure took very good care of her even when I wasn't visiting.

Some people go ahead and get their next dog while their existing dog is still around. One described it as helping the younger dog mature and keeping the older dog young.

We have a 15 year old basenji that has been deaf from birth, can now only see in bright light, and has doggy dementia. He starts pacing several times a day, but it is worse in the evening (sundowners) around 6pm, when walks around bumping into everything and settles down around 8pm. I don’t understand how he always finds a corner to get stuck in. He has not urinated in the house yet, but has dropped the occasional turd. We keep him crated when we leave the house. When we get back he immediately starts pacing very fast running into everything for the first 15 minutes or so.

It’s painful to watch, but he is in excellent health otherwise.

Some people go ahead and get their next dog while their existing dog is still around. One described it as helping the younger dog mature and keeping the older dog young.

We did that one time, with great success. The older dog seemed to get a new lease on life playing with the pup. They were pals for a few years.

Current dog is almost 15 (we think, we have had her almost 14 years and she was a rescue). No plans to replace at this time.

Don’t mean to be mean but been through it several times- put him down. 🙏🏻

No worries. Sam’s not at that point yet.

Sam will be our last pet, besides he thinks he’s human and the only thing he barks at and goes after is other dogs. Also, mirrors and Sam don’t mix, and is quite funny.

No worries. Sam’s not at that point yet.
Sam will be our last pet

We are at the same point, he can be a piece of work at times. Its rare he barks at anything.. His biggest attack bark is if I come home driving the wifes car when shes home... He knows shes home and someone else has her car.... He loves our grandson.. tolerates other dogs very well... done great taking him camping, even charging, barking other dogs... he just don't pay them attention. We may get another dog in the future, we'll see...

Its been nice hearing others stories

Back
Top Bottom