D'OH!

GravitySucks

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So I got a call from an old boss back in February asking if I'd come back for a 6 or 9 month contract. I wasn't doing much at the time and agreed.
First it took till late May to get the approval and paperwork, missing the bad weather part of the year.
Next the rate was slightly lower than discussed. Not much but enough to ding the ego a touch.
Next the first week week into the assignment the contracting company ( one of those deals where I can't ever directly work for megacorp.) Send an email saying all employees assigned to the company I was working for will have a 10% pay cut due to megacorp cutting 10% out of the contractors bill.
I gave a two week notice and left today. (I didn't want to leave the old manager completely screwed. She's always treated me human.)
Yesterday the contractor called and said it was a mistake, I was exempt. To bad for them. Why would I work for a company that would behave like that?
Glad I don't need the money as much as am value my self respect.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

My company did the same thing to all of their contractors. Maybe you worked for the same one as I do...

They gave all the employees a 'free' week of vacation, free to the company that is, equate to a almost 5% pay cut.

If the economy is doing so great, why does anyone need to cut? What are they going to do if things go bad?

I think I would have done the same thing under the situation. A ten percent pay cut on a short term contract the first week on the job is pretty ridiculous. It's not surprising to see these types of things at megacorp though. They make blanket policy decisions, and sometimes they end up being bad decisions, but they won't take the time to make individual assessments.

Go back to enjoying your ER!

I would call this breach of contract. If it was something major that I wanted yo pursue, I would not have resigned and would have indicated that I would be consulting with my lawyer. However, given your ambivalence from the beginning, I agree that resigning was perfectly reasonable.

I came "out of retirement" too this past week too for a short job. What a mistake! I will slog it thru the next few weeks as I would never screw over a friend. On the good side, it does reinforce how lucky a person is to be able to afford to be retired and not have to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm taking it as this was a chance to finally use the FU money I never felt I had before. Its going to be a beautiful summer, I plan on enjoying all of it.

The small company I worked for finished a contract, submitted the bill to Megacorp, and they refused to pay. They basically said come sue us. It's a jungle.

I got an e-mail out of the blue yesterday from my last Megacorp boss before I ER'd. She was laid off a few months after I left, and many other of our colleagues either were laid off or left as well. I think she was hoping I was interested in joining her and some others in doing a start-up new company. My ego said this might be interesting, but fortunately all of you here are keeping me sane.

So I got a call from an old boss back in February asking if I'd come back for a 6 or 9 month contract. I wasn't doing much at the time and agreed.
First it took till late May to get the approval and paperwork, missing the bad weather part of the year.
Next the rate was slightly lower than discussed. Not much but enough to ding the ego a touch.
Next the first week week into the assignment the contracting company ( one of those deals where I can't ever directly work for megacorp.) Send an email saying all employees assigned to the company I was working for will have a 10% pay cut due to megacorp cutting 10% out of the contractors bill.
I gave a two week notice and left today. (I didn't want to leave the old manager completely screwed. She's always treated me human.)
Yesterday the contractor called and said it was a mistake, I was exempt. To bad for them. Why would I work for a company that would behave like that?
Glad I don't need the money as much as am value my self respect.

Wow, what a story! No good deed and all that.

Pretty good warning for ERs!

I wouldn'd take this personal if I were you. What they did was wrong but what can a company do if they are a contractor and their contract is cut by 10%? If you wouldn't enjoy the work and the money leave, if on the other hand you would enjoy the work and spending the money, stay. You're fortunate since you can make the choice.....and, it is a shame you had to experience what you did......I just feel bad for the people that have to take a hit......especially the folks that just can't afford it.

I would call this breach of contract. If it was something major that I wanted yo pursue, I would not have resigned and would have indicated that I would be consulting with my lawyer. However, given your ambivalence from the beginning, I agree that resigning was perfectly reasonable.

They never actually have a contract. Everyone is an At Will employee,so there's nothing to sue over. Plus the sum is to small to interest any reputable attorney.

Just an observation. I love that we are fully beyond set; we, like most on this board, are the haves. Meanwhile the very corporations who are thriving and generating large returns appear to be doing it by screwing their employees. The thread about "do you feel guilty" does speak to me; yeah I worked hard LBYM to a fine retirement. But it just seems like corporate success, which is where most of our returns come from, is at the cost to their employees. Your tale of bait and switch on an employment contract -- if I had anything to do with it on their part I'd just be embarrassed. At the first pull back I'd have told them to F off. Unfortunately, there are so many who just have to bend over and take such abuse. I fear for the generations behind us.

Just be glad you have the sense and resources to retire early. Mega Corps come and go....they don't give a crap about you.

Back
Top Bottom