Donor advised funds

So I assume that with QCDs that you liquidate investments in your tIRA and the proceeds go into your tIRA settlement account and then you write a check out of your tIRA's settlement account to the charity?
That must be how it works - like any check writing or cash withdrawal/transfer on a brokerage account - your core + money market funds must be able to cover it .

I could meet the minimums for Vanguard so i went that way rather than Fido. I last contributed in 2017 and wish I had made it more that year since I got hit hard with taxes. Now I am just spending down the balance. It was a great way to solve the highly appreciated stock problem. The minimum grant to the charity is $500 so I end up writing some smaller e-checks out of our regular account.

That must be how it works - like any check writing or cash withdrawal/transfer on a brokerage account - your core + money market funds must be able to cover it .

Fidelity makes it easy. We just give them the name of the charity and the amount, and they take care of everything.

Back
Top Bottom