DQOTD: When To Replace (Athletic) Shoes?

I have some foot arthritis and do a lot of jogging, walking and fitness classes. At the advice of my podiatrist I wear Hoka Bondi shoes--they have a lot of cushioning and are the only shoes that stop my foot pain. I have found that I need to buy a new pair every 6 months (and the relegate the old pair to around the house when I am not walking much). If I go over 6 months the cushioning starts to go and my feet hurt.They are expensive but worth every penny.

This thread has caused me to review my athletic shoe status.

I now rotate 4 pairs of running shoes, 4 pairs of hiking shoes/boots.

I ran for years in Asics Kayanos. I still have 2 pair of those, one pair of New balance 1080, and my newest pair is a doctor/ shoe store recommended Glycerine Brooks. I have only run on a treadmill with the Brooks, so they have a lot of miles left on them. They have quite a bit of cushion, and that's what I need to keep my knees and hips injury free. The other 3 pair have lost a lot of tread and cushion.

I just started running outside again, so my thought is to alternate between my current brooks and the 2 pairs of Asics. And order another pair of the brooks to keep inside for treadmill use for a while. And throw out the NB. Then as the Asics totally wear out within the next couple months, I'll rotate my new treadmill Brooks to outside use and buy a new pair for the inside. Maybe go back to the running shoe store for an updated fit/analysis.

I always rotate a new pair of running shoes into the mix on the treadmill for a while before putting into outside use.

For hiking, I have 2 pair of Merrell boots, 1 pair of Merrell shoes and 1 pair Altra Lone Peak 5. The Merrell's seem to last forever - hardly any tread wear. I've had several pair of Altra lone peaks (great shoe for easy flat summer hikes) and they are extremely comfortable, but tread wears out fast. My current pair of Lone Peaks has very little tread left, so I'll probably buy a pair soon.

The ultimate every day shoe for me is Merrell Jungle Moc. Slipon. I have 2 pairs - older pair for workshop, light yard work and walks around the neighborhood. Newer pair for casual.

Last edited:
I notice that the soles collapse under the ball of my foot. Over time, the ball of the foot goes deeper while the toes stay up, making my feet sore. It starts happening within a few months of use (depending on mileage) and I replace them when I can't stand it any more, which is usually at the 6-8 month mark. I stretch it because they are $180+. I've tried many other brands, but it's almost impossible to find shoes that come anywhere close to fitting my feet, so I just pay the piper a couple times/year.

Guess I've "standardized" on Brooks Adrenaline shoes, and they last about four months. I replace them when the tread is mostly gone and/or the uneven wear pattern suggests they are not providing proper support. Inevitably, the new pair feels much better, although I do wear an old pair for yard work, etc.

I'll second the Hoka Bondi shoes, great cushion and well made, been using the same pair in the gym for almost 2 years and still in great shape, expensive but well worth the money.

I added Oofos recovery slides - expensive but there's nothing more comforting IME.

I notice that the soles collapse under the ball of my foot. Over time, the ball of the foot goes deeper while the toes stay up, making my feet sore.
This is happening with my expensive Nike running shoes that were $140 or so. It's not hurting my feet at all at this point, but I'm looking to replace. They certainly design them so that they don't last long.

I mostly workout at the gym and walk/hike. I have 2 pair of Merrill Moab's, a Salomon Trail Runner (some XA series) and 2 pair Merrill athletic/gym shoes. I rotate daily. I have Copper Fit insoles due to an ER recommendation. Somehow the insoles seem to give me support even though the shoe is getting past its prime.

After much research, I recently disposed of 3 pair of shoes (Salomon Trail Runner and Merrill Moab's) because I determined the mid-soles were no good using some of the tests described in this thread. The uppers still looked GREAT and the soles were close to perfect. I, too, want to dispose of shoes before my feet hurt.

DW doesn't understand having so many shoes in rotation and throwing away shoes that look almost perfect. Of course, I am flat footed and have much pain if I don't get proper support. She can easily walk on gravel.

I also have a pair of Merrill mid-rise boots for long (>5 mile) hikes.

I read a fair amount on the Nike Metcon series. Oldest DS says they are the thing. Maybe that is my next shoe. I think either the 5 or 9 is for gym rats.

I run 3 to 5 times a week, and rotate through 3, sometimes 4, shoes. I keep training log that also tracks each shoe's mileage. After all this time I can go by feel.....but I also know the shoes tend to feel old at 375 miles or so. The "feel" is easy to spot: minor ache in knee or upper leg, and sometimes the low back. I might ignore this the first time, because it may just be a post-run ache. But if it happens a 2nd time, lights out for that shoe.

Back
Top Bottom