Dropping gym-going after 20+ years

I've done the gym forever. Now that I'm retired I love to get out of the house. Our membership is $100/yr. I don't want to work out in the house that I spend too much time in the winter in. Some talk about not wanting to do heavy weights.... Then don't. Do less and repetitions.

I am curious how many people have SilverSneaker or something like that name... free gym membership as some healthcare plans pay for it...

I know that my mom is on it and hers is free...

https://www.silversneakers.com/learn/gym-fitness/

I think it comes with some Medicare Advantage plans. I have a Supplement that doesn't include it but I love my Planet Fitness membership. For $20/month I can use them anywhere; have used 9 locations in 6 states already. A membership limited to one club is half that.

I wouldn't quit. I see 80+ year old guys still coming in and doing light workouts, and they're much better off for it. It's a slippery slope once you sort of give up on some sort of regular exercise. It certainly doesn't have to be a gym, but if that's all you did, I'd stay with it. We've got a great gym, and I workout about 3-4 times a week when I'm not skiing. I like to keep the legs strong all year long. Not to mention it's also a little bit of a social outlet, and I meet a lot of other interesting people in there - as long as it doesn't interfere with my program.

Last edited:
Looks like some of you gym-goers have great deals locked in.

I know about Planet Fitness and its $10/month rate, but as I mentioned, it's not close.

The local Y is incredibly expensive: $100 initiation fee and $75 a month. You save just a few bucks if you're 65+.

Costco provides a two-year deal at 24-Hour Fitness for about $17 per month -- theoretically only for first-timers, but some folks have had no problem doing it more than once.

LA Fitness' current offer is a $99 initiation fee (supposedly not waivable) and $25 a month.

I thought there were supposed to be New Year's deals, but I'm not seeing any. If you come across one, please share here.

You should go to the gym for as long as you physically have the health to do so . I’ve been going for about 16 years and it’s just part of my normal day. Doing home workout is not the same as doing them at the gym because of the environment which helps you stay motivated . If you have a friends that would workout with you at home and you are consistent then that will be a good substitute however I have have more than 10 partners and well I still go solo

DH and I prefer to be outdoor so no gym for us. When weather permits (which is most of the year where we live), we walk, hike, play tennis, bike, etc. We also have an elliptical on the days we can't get out.

Personally, I believe resistance training is even more important for folks that are > 60. Yes, you can do a lot with body weight only exercises at home, but at least for me, I find the diversity of free weights and machines at the gym to be more physically beneficial, while maintaining my interest level and consistency.

I joined Planet Fitness about 5 years ago and was grandfathered in at the $99 annual rate. I feel the pain of those who have to pay $10/month. :)

I go there for weight workouts and nothing else. I am allergic to treadmills and the like. I do all of my other exercising outdoors.

I don't like going to the gym. I don't like exercise routines. I don't like the amount of time the gym soaks up every week. You will never hear me talking about today's 'Great Workout'.

But, I go on a regular basis, because I know I am better off over-all if I do.

I use a gym for several reasons:

1. The machines keep me in proper form so I don't injure myself, like I did using dumbbells. (Who's the dumbbell now?)

2. I can use their stationary bikes when the weather is bad (like this time of year) and I can't ride my bike much.

3. The gym is close enough (<5 minutes by car, 10 by bike) that I don't waste to much time getting there and back. In fact sometimes, I will do 1/2 a work out, in the AM and the other half in the PM if it fits my schedule better. Remember the 20 minute rule - if the gym is more than 20 minutes away, you probably won't use it much.

4. They offer a good yoga class - one that is NOT hot yoga. If I had to take this class from the local yoga studio it would cost me more than my monthly gym membership!

I think I am better off for doing it. I have records of how I setup the machines and I seem to be getting stronger. At least I am not getting weaker, something that scares me since it results in falls, injuries, etc.

Personally, I believe resistance training is even more important for folks that are > 60. Yes, you can do a lot with body weight only exercises at home, but at least for me, I find the diversity of free weights and machines at the gym to be more physically beneficial, while maintaining my interest level and consistency.

Resistance training is sometimes overlooked or not taken as seriously as it should be, but when done correctly it's very beneficial, especially for older folks. I use free weights, but still perform some bodyweight exercises, chin-ups being one of them.

In my younger years, I was like many and trained the "beach muscles" (arms and chest) more than the rest of my body. I've since wised up and pay a lot more attention to my legs and core these days. Deadlifts and squats are a big part of my routine.

I may be wrong, but maybe gym/no gym is a extrovert/introvert type of thing. DW is somewhat of an extrovert and goes to the gym 4 times a week. She prefers to exercise with others. I'm an introvert and never go. I like to exercise alone.

You can add me into the introvert/don't like the commercial gym group. For 20 years, I had access to the base gyms and used them only when "voluntold" to do so. When I moved back to Georgia, there was a gym that was a 5 minute walk from my house, so I joined for a year. I think I went twice.

Now, we have a nice gym at home that includes treadmill, elliptical, Pilates reformer (I dare not try that thing, it's for the DW!), a bike as well as assorted free weights and bands. My DW is religious about working out, me...not as much...but I usually get in 3 days a week. The introvert in me loves that I can "look a fool" while I workout and can wear any damn thing I want. I also value using my shower and watching what I want on TV...and the best part? I don't have to be annoyed with the various bad habits of gym goers.

Oh yeah, and apparently MRSA at the gym can be a thing...so...NO THANKS!

Your Locker Room or Gym - Stop MRSA Now!

I may be wrong, but maybe gym/no gym is a extrovert/introvert type of thing. DW is somewhat of an extrovert and goes to the gym 4 times a week. She prefers to exercise with others. I'm an introvert and never go. I like to exercise alone.

Same situation here. DW loves going to classes 4 days a week at a small local fitness center. I prefer workouts at home. I discovered Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 videos in 2012 and lost almost 40 pounds. It consists of 20 minute workouts - 1 minute warmup, 3 6-minute segments of strength, cardio, abs, followed by 1 minute cool down. It's a great full body workout. And since I'm not yet retired and work from home, I can step away for 30 minutes and do them. (I'm 59 btw.)

My point in going to the Y for the last eleven years, since late DW and I moved to this little town in PA is to be able to do my Ju-Jutsu routine. There is no place within reasonable drive that has Judo or Ju-jutsu dojo. I have zero interest in the dozens of Karate dojos.

There is a large "activity room" with rubberized floor, and gymnastic mats available. Usually get there between 7 and 8.

The routine involves about 25 minutes of warmaups, all of which mimic defense or attack senarios. Then the standard defense move sets take up another 30 or 40 minutes depending on how many I wish to do. Then some more time to finish up with some T'ai Chi forms. Some of them I play slow, some as a real mock fight. For the non-initiate, T'ai Chi is fighting system, though most instructors of the art are totally clueless of how it works.

Then I mosey over to the "equipment" room as I call it. I only use the rowing machine, in winter when I can not go kayaking, and that only for seven minutes. With one minute each of a particular pull style, and finish up with a 20 second all out rowing effort. Then off to the sauna for a half hour snooze, followed by a shower.

Get dressed then walk a few blocks to a favorite bowling alley that serves breakfest, shoot the breeze with the regulars. Walk back to my car, get home around 11 or so. Do it twice a week. Other three days of the week I go figure skating. Of course I also go to dance classes for Argentine Tango. Evenings.

The result, I am in good shape, still pretty flexible and agile, and often amazed when I tell people that I am 70 and they disbelieve me. Most think I am 50, maybe 60.

$37.50 a month. Well worth the $. Used to pay 54 when DW was alive, for the two of us, she liked to swim.

The trick is that I get out of the house, go to a place where there is lots of room to do my kicks and jumps and rolls. For the most part I ignore the few who seem to go there to exercise their mouths.

Last edited:
I have hit the age in the gym where the muscles still say “bring it on”, but unfortunately when I listen to them, my joints get hurt and say “told ya not to”. So I am drifting closer to old man weights each year. Pushing myself just isnt worth the injuries and aches to my wrists, elbows, and shoulders. I still dutifully go though.

Have always been a gym rat, except for maybe during my 20s, when it was mostly 12oz curls...

Megacorp had a great fitness center, with low fees and payroll deduction! I now use a municipal rec center, with indoor track, indoor pool, and free/machine weights. Senior rate is $117/yr. Plan to keep going as long as able...

I'm 60 and made the decision to stop the intense work out. Tired of soreness, tired of pushing my body to extremes. I realized I don't need to do all that to stay healthy. I swim, we have a great YMCA and a therapy pool that is pretty big, kept at 92 degrees. Also, a family pool kept at 85 degrees. There are times no one is in these pools, being FI, I can go anytime. I walk my a lot. I feel good.

A friend, who works out daily, fell off a roof and broke his back. He was airlifted to Univ. of Chicago Medical Center. After major surgery and steel rods in his back, his doctor told him running is the worst thing for your back and joints. It's good for your heart, but you can do many exercises that benefit the heart without stressing your entire body. I guess if you're young and enjoy the challenge, sweat, blood and tears of a work out, the body can handle it. Just look at retired football players. Ask them about their knees, back, shoulders and brain function.

Movement is important. I can't sit for hours and expect to be healthy.

A friend is a mall walker with me at 7 AM for 30 to 45 minutes 6 or 7 days a week (8AM Sundays). At work, a colleague and I walk 30 min at lunch, weather permitting.

In a diabetes Prevention class a couple of years ago, I was told that 30 min walking 5 days a week gives plenty of benefits. Running makes you subject to injuries.

I used to have a gym membership but it was too much trouble.

I found some elliptical trainers on Craigslist for free. When we clear out some space in the garage, I will give them a spin. (If not, I will salvage the guts--motors, electronics.)

I'm 60 and made the decision to stop the intense work out. Tired of soreness, tired of pushing my body to extremes. I realized I don't need to do all that to stay healthy.

I think it's the book Body By Science that says that short, intensive training is almost as good as a long grueling workout. Not as good, but good enough to give one 80% of the benefits.

My 'workout' is geared toward that idea. I don't have to give off loud grunts while lifting twice my body weight in order to keep up my strength. Instead I can workout on the machines, do some cardio on the reclining bikes, and enjoy watching the pony-tailed blondes. It's good enough.

A friend is a mall walker with me at 7 AM for 30 to 45 minutes 6 or 7 days a week (8AM Sundays). At work, a colleague and I walk 30 min at lunch, weather permitting.

In a diabetes Prevention class a couple of years ago, I was told that 30 min walking 5 days a week gives plenty of benefits. Running makes you subject to injuries.

Walking is my favorite exercise by far. It doesn't even feel like exercise. :)

Gym is free for mil retirees, and is pretty close to my house. Just feel better overall if I keep going several times a week. Quality of life issue.

I go to the gym every day but Sunday. I walk on treadmill, or ride bike or use elliptical machine, usually for an hour. I lift light weights and do the circuit. I'm 74 and plan on exercising the rest of my life. I am convinced that exercise is necessary for me. Furthermore, it's a good social group. Costs 120 bucks a year and well worth it. For variety I have walked in my neighborhood and in the mall. I walk 4.2 miles in one hour. I jogged for 20 years but had to stop because of my knees.

So, in a nutshell each person has a goal whether time in the gym or something else. Whatever that may be the important thing is to keep active. Quit that gym but don't sit on your a$$.

I think "the gym" is irrelevant if you are getting daily (or at least 5/7) exercise. For me that's running/gardening and a little bit of light weights at home. If i lived in a climate that precluded outdoor activity even a few months of the year, I'd be gym-faithful.

I have liked the gym best when there is a class and/or instructor i liked, least when I was just doing the rotations on machines.

Currently gym free but running most days and getting plenty of activity.

...and enjoy watching the pony-tailed blondes.

I was watching an aerobics class at my gym the other day while using one of the machines, and noticed that all of the perky young women were maintaining perfect synchronization with the instructor, while there was an older woman who was about 20 seconds behind everyone else but trying valiantly to keep up. I don't know if she was having fun, but I gave her an "A" for effort. If I had been part of that class, I doubt that I would have done much better. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom