Dummy on DVD rental

Payin-the-Toll

Recycles dryer sheets
Have rented a couple of DVD's from Redbox. Went Saturday to show the wife how to use it; wanted to get 'Solitary Man'. About half-way through, screen pops up and says movie is a blue-ray version, and that you had to have a blue-ray dvd player to view it. I thought this stuff was backwards compatible, and that I could play a blue-ray dvd on my regular dvd player, but the picture wouldn't be as good as using a blue-ray player. Am I wrong? (They also wanted $1.50 for blue-ray, instead of $1.00---so LBYM's wise, I saved $1.50!)

I believe you can play regular DVDs in a Blu-Ray player, but can't play Blu-Ray discs in a standard DVD player.

I thought this stuff was backwards compatible, ...

Playing "new" stuff on "old" equipment is not what "backward compatible" means... except in the case of the designer/manufacturer having an exceptionally accurate crystal ball.

I thought this stuff was backwards compatible, and that I could play a blue-ray dvd on my regular dvd player, but the picture wouldn't be as good as using a blue-ray player. Am I wrong?
"Backwards compatible" is intended to claim that the new gear will still play your old stuff.

Your old gear... is just [-]obsolete[/-] heavily discounted.

Have rented a couple of DVD's from Redbox. (They also wanted $1.50 for blue-ray, instead of $1.00---so LBYM's wise, I saved $1.50!)

FYI - register/sign up on redbox.com and they'll give you a freebie code for 1 rental. Register your cell phone (text) and they'll send you a freebie code every 1st monday of each month. Also, check insideredbox.com, they sometimes post extra freebie codes, not as plentiful as in the past.

We do a lot of grocery shopping at Kroger (which has a redbox)(and also gives us 10 cents off a gallon of gas), and have about a dozen coupons for free Redbox rentals.

It would of been a dollar if he rented a DVD. If he didn't rent anything then he really did LBYM.

I use Netflix instead and don't have to spend money on gas since they deliver by mail. I use an antenna for the local channels so no cost there although I do have the 5 at a time video plan so new videos arrive almost every day. It is considerably less than cable or satellite and I don't have to watch commercials on all the TV shows I like (House, CSI, NCIS, and others including many British shows we don't get here). I also choose when I want to watch which show. Right now my list include over 500 videos (and growing as new one become available) that will keep me busy for a long time. Life is good.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom