Early Mortgage Payoff

Paying down a mortgage faster than necessary seems to a lot easier to do than consciously saving excess discretionary income. That's a plus.

However, since mortgage interest can be a tax deduction a good mortgage calculator can be a big help to make what can be some pretty lengthy, complex calculations. Easy to make a mistake with Excel too.

With that fancy $20 mortgage calculator, plug in the cost of an appraisal and compare it against the cost of the money saved at a substantially lower interest rate payment. I always heard the rule of thumb: If you can save 2% with a re-finance, it is worth the cost.

You might want to talk to your mortgage lender too. If your house won't appraise at a high enough value to re-finance, then you may fall into the category of an "underwater mortgage". I think some mortgage lenders are anxious to re-finance an underwater mortgage because they certainly don't want you to default on your payments. They don't want to foreclose on another "toxic asset".

Yes, if they bought the house three years ago then that would have been close to the peak of the market. Depending upon how much equity they have in the home they could indeed possibly leverage the situation to their benefit.

We paid ours off early last month, was our last debt.

Words cannot describe the feeling!

Even though my wife and I both still work full time, it feels about as close to retirement as I can imagine.

God willing and the creek don't rise; we only have 28 quarters to go, before we can both punch out for the last time! :ROFLMAO:

We paid ours off early last month, was our last debt.

Words cannot describe the feeling!

Even though my wife and I both still work full time, it feels about as close to retirement as I can imagine.

God willing and the creek don't rise; we only have 28 quarters to go, before we can both punch out for the last time! :ROFLMAO:

That's great - congratulations - it's all downhill from here. (by that I mean easy going :greetings10:)

Back
Top Bottom