Earthquake in NJ

Anyone feel it? I didn't.

Mathjak did. He posted this in another thread he was participating in at the time.

holy crap while i was typing the whole building vibrated a minute ago . we just had a little earthquake in nyc in queens like a tremor

citizen ap says 2.4 but now reported as 4.7 in spots

I felt it here in western Nassau County (LI, near southeast Queens NYC). Felt like a really big truck rambling down the street, shaking my apartment building for about 30 seconds. There was no truck.

My cousins in Rhode Island felt it pretty strongly. They said their house shook for 10-20 seconds and one’s water glass was vibrating on the table.

I was surprised as I was unaware quakes occur on the East Coast.

Those 4.8 quakes give us a pretty big rattle and roll out here, so I’m not surprised they felt it. She said it was the biggest NJ quake since 1884.

Last edited:
We had a moment of terror. Unlike previous earthquake I recall, where you feel the ground slightly rolling, this was sharp and sudden. Near Philly, so a long ways from epicenter.

Funny what goes through your mind in that moment. JDAM? Oak tree? Explosion?

I was about 30 miles from the epicenter of the Whittier, CA 5.9 quake in 1987. That one shook for enough time for me to get dressed, get outside and stand on the concrete sidewalk bouncing up and down. The aftershocks lasted all day. Today’s quake was nothing like that one.

We live in the center of Morris County NJ. Our entire neighborhood congregated in the street together. Some older folks, some babies, several dogs.
Alot of talking over each other, wondering what it was. My DH brought his phone out and we got to read the local alerts and the ones from NYC 30 miles away.

When it started rattling, I thought it was an oversized truck barreling down our small road. The papers piled next to me on the coffee table slid off. My coffee cup vibrated and sloshed a bit.
The sound was big. I first thought my furnace or water heater in basement was exploding. It lasted maybe 20-30 seconds. We were all safe, no damage found on our homes.

Reddit humor.

We Will Rebuild.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 4
I'm about 15 miles from the epicenter and definitely felt it! I was surprised that you could also hear it - it sounded like a very long, low rumble of thunder.

We felt it and heard it in coastal Connecticut. It rattled things in the house and scared the cats. All the neighbors went out to see if a tree had fallen or a truck had crashed.

Edit 6:00 pm - I think we just had an aftershock.

Last edited:
We felt it and heard it in coastal Connecticut. It rattled things in the house and scared the cats. All the neighbors went out to see if a tree had fallen or a truck had crashed.

Edit 6:00 pm - I think we just had an aftershock.

I'm in Northern NJ, I felt this morning's quake. It was short but I felt my house rock from side to side. At 6 PM or so DW was upstairs, called me on intercom and felt that after-shock. I didn't notice that one.

I am on Long Island - but was washing my hair at the time - and did not notice it. I did hear from friends that they felt it.

USGS website confirms it was an aftershock of magnitude 4.0 at 5:59:13 pm, located very close to the original epicenter. Apparently there have been a half dozen aftershocks today, but they were of much smaller magnitude.

Felt it here on Long Island. Was watching one of the news stations and the weatherman said this quake was relatively close to the surface (within 3 miles) and because much of the Northeast is on bedrock, the vibrations were felt further away compared to places where quakes of similar magnitude have a different geological foundation.

We've had some quakes before, but I never felt them. Today I felt the 4.8 one but not the 4.0 aftershock. My wife felt both of them.

Back
Top Bottom