East Coast trip in mid April, questions

ER_Hopeful

Recycles dryer sheets
We live in L.A., planning a family trip(wife, kids: 13 and 16 y.o.) to the east coast, maybe 7 to 8 days. First time to the east coast.

Need to make a quick family visit in Boston, stay for one night, then off to New York, would like spend one or two days in D.C. as well if doable. Things I think I'd like to do are:

NY:
1. statue of liberty (can be just a cruise or is going atop highly recommended?), what's pedestal access? is it going up to the crown?
2. MoMa or American Museum of Natural History or the Met?
3. time square
4. catch a show
suggestions are welcomed.

DC:
maybe take one of these guided tours, https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...partner=Viator

spend one/two nights in D.C then fly back to L.A.

some additional questions:
1. what is the best way to go from Boston to N.Y.? If flying, is it easier to fly to LaGuardia than JFK? less crowded?
2. how about from N.Y. to D.C.? train or fly? which airports?

thanks

You really need at least two days in Boston ,three days in New York and three days in Washington.I would suggest the hop on hop off in Boston and maybe walk the freedom trail . In New York the circle line tour which takes you past the statue and then The museum of Natural History and maybe the Intrepid museum . In Washington there are tons of free museums that can not be beat especially the air & space museum .You can travel by train between Boston and New York and New York and Washington.

Amtrak is pretty good between Boston and DC. Much better, in my opinion, than flying.

If I had to choose just one museum in NYC, I'd go to the Met. Look into free days at museums - MoMA used to have a free Friday evening entry. The Met is "suggested" entrance fee, so it is pay what you wish.

Time square is very touristy, but it is one of those places that is so iconic in our popular culture that you should go. TKTS has a booth there so you can buy discount tickets for a show. Should you go to a show? Do you like musicals or plays? If so, you definitely should go. Look into off-broadway productions too.

See Grand Central Station, Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, Take a subway, walk the high-line park, walk around central park (a good thing to do in conjunction with a visit to the Met), see St. Patrick's, walk Mott street through china town and up through what's left of little italy, walk around the wall street area - very quaint and among the oldest portions of nyc, see greenwich village.

So much to see there. Buy a guide book and see what interests you. I lived near the city for 25 years and still have places I'd like to see.

I am from Boston, so I am biased, but you need to spend a few days there, if you can.

Freedom trail is worthwhile. After being gone for several years, we went back and took the Harbor Island ferry system for a great day outdoors.

For food:
Regina's Pizzaria (The original, in the North end, if it is still there).
Durgin Park
No Name restaurant (If it is still there)

Things to do:
Walk Boston Commons

Just a few thoughts

My opinion is 7-8 days is not enough for all 3 places. I'm more familiar with NY & DC and think 3-4 days in each of those would barely scratch the surface. Given that you have to go to Boston for family reasons, I recommend doing Boston for 3 days, then NY for your remaining time. Keep in mind that transit time between these cities will take the better part of a day (pack, travel, check into hotel, unpack).

In DC, I would go to the Smithsonian, as much as you can cover, and don't miss the National Archives for the historical significance of it's contents.

My NYC favorites:
Broadway show
Take the subway, then take the ferry (free) to Staten Island, you can see the Statue of Liberty that way.
Go to the top of the Rock building, better than Empire.
So many places to eat, just walk around and stay out of chains.
Central park, i love all of it. Rent a bike there.
Walk, eat, and shop!

There is an app you can put on your phone for the subway.

PS, your teens should love it.

Don't miss the Spy Museum in DC. History and cool gadgets. See this after the Smithsonian.

Did more research, looks like D.C. deserves another trip itself, so many national monuments, museums, don't wanna just skim through them. So I guess this trip will be just Boston + NY but add in Niagara falls.

so tentatively
fly from L.A. to Buffalo NY, 2 nights, 1 day for Niagara falls
off to Boston (fly/train/bus? what's best)
2 days, i night in Boston
then off to NY (seems amtrak is a good option)
4 days in NY
fly back

yeah?

Time square is very touristy, but it is one of those places that is so iconic in our popular culture that you should go. TKTS has a booth there so you can buy discount tickets for a show. Should you go to a show? Do you like musicals or plays? If so, you definitely should go. Look into off-broadway productions too.

Not much a musical or play person, but would like to have the experience with my kids. Maybe the Blue Man group will serve me better than CATS.

Did more research, looks like D.C. deserves another trip itself, so many national monuments, museums, don't wanna just skim through them. So I guess this trip will be just Boston + NY but add in Niagara falls.

so tentatively
fly from L.A. to Buffalo NY, 2 nights, 1 day for Niagara falls
off to Boston (fly/train/bus? what's best)
2 days, i night in Boston
then off to NY (seems amtrak is a good option)
4 days in NY
fly back

yeah?
Skip NF or if still stop, rent car & cross to Canada, spend 3-5 hours, & go on to Boston. It's a great view, but no reason to spend more time.

If you go to Niagra Falls, be sure to take the boat (Maid of the Mist, I think). Also walk thru the tunnels behind the falls.

I know it sounds hokey, but it is actually a day well spent.

You can drive to Boston, if you can get a reasonable drop charge for a rental. But keep in mind the drive is the better part of a day, almost 500miles. If you want to use that day to see Boston, flying would be better (but more costly).

I think that's very rush. We did this trip back in 2010, I think we spent 10-12 days in those 3 city.

Ellis Island is better for a real visit. You can get close to the statue of liberty, but there is not as much there to see/tour.

Agree trains are good, easy, have wifi, etc.

Freedom Trail in Boston is a must see.

The 911 Memorial Museum in NYC should not be missed.....I did a week tour in NYC about a year ago, that was the most touching. The Statue of Liberty was nice, that doesn't take long. Times Square was a madhouse, did enjoy the costumes worn in the evenings there.

As someone who has spent quite a lot of time in Boston, NYC, and DC, I would say that, sorry to be a jerk, but in my humble opinion, you have gotten some truly miserable answers to your questions. Here are a few alternative opinions.

To get from Boston to NY or from NY to DC, check the price of Amtrak vs. flights. Under perfect conditions, flying is faster, but the train stations are downtown and delays are usually brief. When things go wrong with your flight, they can go really wrong. As to airports, Logan is your only option in Boston and DCA should be your only option in DC. These days I would fly into any NY area airport but I would not fly out of LaGuardia because of construction delays. You can get to or from any of them inexpensively and efficiently by public transportation if you know what you're doing. You do not want a car in any of these cities!

In Boston, yes to the Freedom Trail, but no, Durgin Park is a terrible idea. Historic, but nothing else to recommend it. I used to take groups of 100 to Boston and appreciated their efficiency but stopped using them because the food was so unremarkable. You can do better almost anywhere. Your kids will far prefer Fire + Ice for the same money.

The choice of museum in NYC is a function of your interests. Among the museums of natural history, the Met, and modern art, there's not a best, just a preference. Note, though, that you can pay what you want only at the Met.

You cannot go into the crown of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island has not been fully repaired from Superstorm Sandy; you should consider taking the Staten Island Ferry (for free!) for a great view of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island without actually visiting either.

Sure, walk through Times Square but it's gross and touristy. What you should do there is go to the TKTS booth to get half-price tickets to a Broadway show. That's the only way it's worth it for a family of four.

Sorry, very opinionated (New Yorker; can you tell?) but I'm giving you the truth.

Yes, DC deserves its own trip - good call. Even with a week you'll have to make decisions on what's of interest to you. Monuments? Government buildings? Museums? Other museums? Another category of museum?

I've been traveling for work to DC for several years, and when I was a kid I had relatives up there whom we visited at least annually. So I've seen a lot of DC. I still have DC attractions on my bucket list, and they keep building more.

If and when you do come, don't underestimate the misery of summer in DC, especially if you're from a drier climate out west. DC was built on a swamp, and the atmosphere qualifies as a swamp by itself.

Last edited:
As someone who has spent quite a lot of time in Boston, NYC, and DC, I would say that, sorry to be a jerk, but in my humble opinion, you have gotten some truly miserable answers to your questions. Here are a few alternative opinions.

To get from Boston to NY or from NY to DC, check the price of Amtrak vs. flights. Under perfect conditions, flying is faster, but the train stations are downtown and delays are usually brief. When things go wrong with your flight, they can go really wrong. As to airports, Logan is your only option in Boston and DCA should be your only option in DC. These days I would fly into any NY area airport but I would not fly out of LaGuardia because of construction delays. You can get to or from any of them inexpensively and efficiently by public transportation if you know what you're doing. You do not want a car in any of these cities!

In Boston, yes to the Freedom Trail, but no, Durgin Park is a terrible idea. Historic, but nothing else to recommend it. I used to take groups of 100 to Boston and appreciated their efficiency but stopped using them because the food was so unremarkable. You can do better almost anywhere. Your kids will far prefer Fire + Ice for the same money.

The choice of museum in NYC is a function of your interests. Among the museums of natural history, the Met, and modern art, there's not a best, just a preference. Note, though, that you can pay what you want only at the Met.

You cannot go into the crown of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island has not been fully repaired from Superstorm Sandy; you should consider taking the Staten Island Ferry (for free!) for a great view of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island without actually visiting either.

Sure, walk through Times Square but it's gross and touristy. What you should do there is go to the TKTS booth to get half-price tickets to a Broadway show. That's the only way it's worth it for a family of four.

Sorry, very opinionated (New Yorker; can you tell?) but I'm giving you the truth.

+1 on Staten Island Ferry recommendation

If it were me, I would not waste my time actually going to the Statue of Liberty. There is a security checkpoint just like at the airport and the lines are long (Hours long in the summer). As others have said, you can see the Statue quite well from the Staten Island Ferry. Or you can take a harbor cruise. Most of them cruise right by Liberty Island up close so you can get good pictures.

I, too, would avoid Times Square. It's just what you can see on TV (and, yes, touristy and gross)

I also suggest Amtrak from Boston to NYC. When you add up the time needed to get to Logan airport early, check in, go through security, get your bags at the end, and get into Manhattan, it might actually be quicker on the train. It is most certainly more enjoyable, and you'll get to see the New England countryside.

Last edited:
Yes, DC deserves its own trip - good call. Even with a week you'll have to make decisions on what's of interest to you. Monuments? Government buildings? Museums? Other museums? Another category of museum?

I've been traveling for work to DC for several years, and when I was a kid I had relatives up there whom we visited at least annually. So I've seen a lot of DC. I still have DC attractions on my bucket list, and they keep building more.

If and when you do come, don't underestimate the misery of summer in DC, especially if you're from a drier climate out west. DC was built on a swamp, and the atmosphere qualifies as a swamp by itself.

Agreed on ALL of those points! :LOL:

I agree with those who say take Amtrak from Boston to NYC to DC. Much less hassle and a more scenic ride.

For DC check in advance for the places you plan to visit... for some you have to reserve tickets in advance - free, but for a specific date. If you wait until you arrive you might find you cannot get into the venue that day.

Adding NF to your itinerary complicates the trip since NF is a haul from Boston. Your better bet would be to fly into Buffalo, train to NYC, train to Boston and then fly home from Boston since there is no direct train service from Buffalo to Boston (it is all via NYC).

In NY, we liked Central Park Zoo, the Empire State Building, the boat trip around Manhattan from the USS Intrepid, etc. I particularly like the restaurants on 46th Street between 8-9th Avenues.. especially for families.

In Boston, our favorites are the Aquarium and the Science Museum and Faneuil Hall... if the Red Sox are in town and you can get tickets and afternoon at Fenway is fun too.

... sorry to be a jerk
... you have gotten some truly miserable answers to your questions
... a terrible idea
... the food was so unremarkable. You can do better almost anywhere.
... gross and touristy.

... New Yorker; can you tell?

Yes, we could tell. :cool:

Seriously, those are all good suggestions. Native New Yorker here, too. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom