East or West Coast of South FL?

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH and I really love So CA, but if the CoL ever gets too high or the politics get too ridiculous for us, we’d consider South FL as an alternative. We love diving and we are both from the South originally so we’ve lived in heat/humidity before. We like sun and warm water year-round so if we relocated, we’d want to stay pretty far south - definitely below Sarasota. Since we like to vacation in the Caribbean, proximity to MIA would be a positive. We are used to condo living on the beach; that lifestyle suits us well.

For those of you who live in South FL or snowbird there, did you choose the East or West Coast, and what were your reasons?

I'm sure you will get opinions on both sides so why not research it from the diving side. The east coast puts you closer to the keys for reef diving and there are even some drift diving sites as far north as Palm Beach. The mid west side would put you close to some interesting spring diving sites that are a quite different experience.

Can't beat Naples imo. Great weather, restaurants, shopping and easy 90 minute drive to FLL or MIA or 25 minutes to a great little airport RSW. Only downside is price point, real estate pretty expensive. For condo living on the beach try Marco island. GREAT beach and close enough to Naples for all it offers.

Culturally, the difference is that the east coast has more people originally from the north east, the west coast has more from the midwest. Not a hard and fast rule, of course, just a trend.

Culturally, the difference is that the east coast has more people originally from the north east, the west coast has more from the midwest. Not a hard and fast rule, of course, just a trend.
Yep. Cept east also has more immigrants & their descendants, like from Cuba & PR. So more diverse.

I’m wondering if the West Coast of FL would be too slow-paced for us? We live in a beach town in LA County and have access to a great diversity of restaurants, cultural events, etc. While we don’t go into LA often, nor do we care much about nightlife, we wouldn’t want to live somewhere without diversity and where the streets roll up at 9 pm. We like walkable communities.

We’ve done diving off West Palm Beach once and weren’t too impressed. Done Keys diving as well, which was better, but not as good as places we’ve been in Caribbean. So whichever coast we’d choose, we’d probably be flying south for diving.

Before we’d seriously consider a move, we should probably do a month or two rental on each coast so we can get a truer feel for what life is really like there.

I'm originallyfrom So Cal, and found West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami all to be much more lively and energetic than the west coast of Florida south of Tampa.

Anything south of Tampa on the west coast and anything north of West Palm Beach on the east coast is much more sparse, laid back, takes forever to drive anywhere for much to do, if you like many outdoor activities. I-95 traffic is hectic, but I never saw it at the kind of standstill that So Cal traffic has on the 215, 15, or 5.

I'm originallyfrom So Cal, and found West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami all to be much more lively and energetic than the west coast of Florida south of Tampa.

Anything south of Tampa on the west coast and anything north of West Palm Beach on the east coast is much more sparse, laid back, takes forever to drive anywhere for much to do, if you like many outdoor activities. I-95 traffic is hectic, but I never saw it at the kind of standstill that So Cal traffic has on the 215, 15, or 5.

Thanks. This is great perspective. Do you live full time in FL now? How was the adjustment?

This is how I see it as well. As for I-95, hectic is one way to put it. Dangerous is another. :) It does suffer from congestion, but that is less of an issue for us retired folk.

I'm in SE FL 4 miles from the beach in Palm Beach County. Less than one hour to MIA for those Caribbean dive trips; and diving just off the coast is very similar to the Caribbean - all the same marine life except visibility only about half which is fine anyway. A 30 minute drive north or south puts you either at Kravis Center for the Arts or Broward Center for the Arts, or Parker Playhouse and many smaller venues in between. There are two almost parallel highways: I-95 and the Turnpike, whereas the west coast only has one (I-75) which seems more crowded. I also prefer beaching it on the ocean rather than the Gulf after doing both. Choices.

Rich

Thanks. This is great perspective. Do you live full time in FL now? How was the adjustment?

I lived in Florida for six years. I just moved out of state. I needed more variety of outdoor experiences and scenery than what Florida was able to offer.

I've ridden my motorcycle across every desert and mountain road from the Mexican border to anything south of Bakersfield and across to Arizona. I loved sailing the coast and kayaking, the hiking trails and inland lakes. All because of the things I got to see along the way. There is an unparalleled level of scenery around So Cal that Florida can't provide.

But, if you're more inclined to enjoy shopping, food, and venues typical of a big diverse city, the whole stretch from West Palm Beach to Miami is just full of those experiences. And there's a lot more to see if you don't mind long (and I mean long) road trips. In that sense, it was great; I was just bored to tears when I was struck with that wanderlust.

I lived in Broward for 17 years, about half way between the beach and Everglades. Now in the Panhandle.

I may move further south after the last kid is gone in 5-6 years, but it won't be to Dade, Broward or Palm Beach. Too congested and too many people with bad attitudes, so it will likely be the west coast for me.

Agree with Gypsy there are hundreds of miles of unchanging terrain in the state, so a day trip for a change of scenery is impossible.

A Florida-born friend describes the Gulf as a desert with water on top, so I don't think you would find the diving very appealing off the west coast.

For what you like to do, however, I'd recommend looking at North Broward-Lighthouse Point/Sea Ranch Lakes/north Ft. Lauderdale/Galt Ocean or into Boca Raton. Stay east of US 1/Federal Hwy. Easy access to MIA and FLL, driveable to the Keys.

Good dining, condo living, and coming from SoCal, you wont' be shocked at real estate prices.

Sarasota area is worth a look. Some cultural offerings beyond what you would expect from a city of that size.

I am in the Tampa Bay area. Originally from NYC. It is very "laid back" here - meaning it takes everyone forever to do anything :) I like actually. But it's getting pretty crowded, which is not my thing. As for big water, I like the Ocean better than the Gulf but the Gulf is pretty nice. Downside is that you have to go much further offshore to hit deep water in the Gulf for fishing. I moved here because I have family here. In your position, I would do a VBRO for a month in a couple of places and really see what you like.

Has anyone Tried Venice? What is the traffic like there? We too like the laid back Fla. We are originally from SoCAL. We retired here in Fla. Do not regret it. We are in St. Augustine though. Thinking of moving further South and out of the "A" Flood Zone. Looking at SW Fla.

I am very interested in moving to Florida in 3 or 4 years from New Jersey I am a nature girl, and the SW area is so rich in wildlife that I'm targeting that area. I am willing to be some ways inland - I'm not a beach person, though I would like to be able to visit the coasts periodically for birding. I like subtropical to tropical, don't mind humidity and heat, and want to be in an area with health care and airport access, some city amenities, etc. Naples is most likely out of my price range - Estero might be as well. Where could I be looking? I'm thinking of trying to sublet over a summer to experience the more extreme months and evaluate that way.

I am very interested in moving to Florida in 3 or 4 years from New Jersey I am a nature girl, and the SW area is so rich in wildlife that I'm targeting that area. I am willing to be some ways inland - I'm not a beach person, though I would like to be able to visit the coasts periodically for birding. I like subtropical to tropical, don't mind humidity and heat, and want to be in an area with health care and airport access, some city amenities, etc. Naples is most likely out of my price range - Estero might be as well. Where could I be looking? I'm thinking of trying to sublet over a summer to experience the more extreme months and evaluate that way.

Just remember inland Florida is really brutal in the summer. No ocean Breezes, so there is nowhere to get away from it. We have lived in Coastal Florida for 10 years and we do have 2 months where it can get oppressive. But we prefer Heat to the cold. the beach is nice to have fairly close. Your AC Bill will be very high inland too.

Agree with Gypsy there are hundreds of miles of unchanging terrain in the state, so a day trip for a change of scenery is impossible.

I rejected my wife's idea to retire to the Delaware/Maryland beaches mainly for this reason, being too far away for a day trip to the mountains.

Lots of nature down here. Gators, pythons, snakes, iguanas, and skeeters. :)

Just kidding. When I drove through the Upper and Middle Keys I found a very strong resemblance to the Venezuelan coastline, which is tropical coastline. Not sure that area meets your (or others) criteria, but I haven't seen any mention of it in this or other threads, and it does offer a lifestyle that is unique to some. Note, I'm not talking about Key West, which is unique.

Just remember inland Florida is really brutal in the summer. No ocean Breezes, so there is nowhere to get away from it.

Shokwave, aren't there regular afternoon thunderstorms to cool things down? I like that thought too, of sunny mornings followed by a good thunderstorm mid-afternoon.

Shokwave, aren't there regular afternoon thunderstorms to cool things down? I like that thought too, of sunny mornings followed by a good thunderstorm mid-afternoon.

(1) summer thunderstorms are a late afternoon phenomenon;
(2) they don't happen every afternoon; and
(3) the relative humidity goes from 85% to 100% when they do happen.

Cool things down? Not really. However, I enjoy the rain nevertheless - water is life. ?

Shokwave, aren't there regular afternoon
thunderstorms to cool things down? I like that thought too, of sunny mornings followed by a good thunderstorm mid-afternoon.

I'm not Shokwave, but do have a condo in Estero. :cool:

Typically, there are sunny mornings with afternoon thunderstorms in the summer months. I think most of the cooling may be from the clouds (= lack of sun) accompanying the thunderstorms. ...but don't forget the humidity.:LOL:

I'm a Nov-May snowbird, but have spent multiple weeks here in July and August with nary a drop of rain...and other times, the typical 30-min. afternoon rains.

I'm not a birder, but am amazed at all the birds I see and others that I only hear (as my condo is next to some undeveloped acreage.) Also, the Everglades, Corkscrew Sanctuary and other nature preserves are rich with all sorts of avian delights.

About year ago I heard an NPR program on the huge quantities of bird varieties that can be found in Florida...I was impressed.

omni

You nailed it!!!!!

West coast is much more relaxed. Beautiful beaches. Retired people down for the winter enjoying their retirement. East cost, high strung, retirees mixed in with people working, trying to get to work.

My company was based in Newport Beach. I am now 63 and have spent so much time in Southern California since I started at age at age 26. I know all of So Cal like the back of my hand. I LOVE IT THERE! Perfect weather. Beautiful scenery, beaches, mountains, snow, food, wines. Love the personalities of the different beach towns from Huntington up to Santa Barbara. Just couldn’t make the move due to all our families back in Ohio where we lived and grew up. Couldn’t take our kids away from the grandparents. So far away! Different time zone. Spending so much time there allowed me to get my fix and deal with the Ohio weather.

My parents started the winter home search back in the mid 80’s. Same time zone, easy 2 hour direct flights, warm winters. With a love for golf, beaches, shopping, wildlife, nature, and restaurants my parents chose the Fort Myers area. It was perfect for all our needs. We would fly down with the grandkids in Jan or Feb for 2weeks and loved it. Since then my sister and her family bought and so did my wif and I.

Now things have come full circle. Our kids and grand kids now come down ..our whole family and the dog were just here for 2weeks and we had a blast. We live in a gated community..golf, clay courts. Everyone loves it.

I have been down many time in the summer as well. Hummmmm one time it rained nonstop for 6 days. One time it never rained. Usually in will rain on and off at all times during the day. Pop up storms out of nowhere. But November through May are great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom