EBAY: Buying Selling

Shipping is the big problem for me and selling. Even if the buyer pays for shipping, it's a pain to do it most times. And invariably, it costs way more than the estimate to ship. So, you need to be very careful or use a reserve price to ensure shipping costs don't wipe out any profit.
I resorted to adding $1-2 packaging costs to every order. It's baffling how eBay can't calculate the exact shipping price (even after I've provided the package dimensions/weight in advance), yet as soon as you go to print a shipping label there it is...

Does ebay no longer let you set the price for actual shipping in the listing?

We used to love it , but not any more . Son ended up with 2 I pad computers . Both in boxes plastic wrapped . He put one on Ebay . The customer declined the purchase because the screen was cracked . Now my son never opened the packaging when he got it . I think he screwed up and ordered 2 from Amazon . But any way our son claims he was sent a used I pad back with a broken screen . Ebay sided with the buyer.

I just wanted to chime in regarding Craigslist as I only have experience with Ebay as a buyer.

I would be very hesitant to use Craigslist to sell. It’s reputation as a haven for thieves and scammers is well earned.

My nephew used to sell iPhones and iPads via Craigslist, but stopped when he was robbed at gunpoint in a McDonalds parking lot.

Last summer I was looking for a bike and saw one on Craigslist. The seller gave me an address to meet him that evening. Before departing, I looked up the address on Google Maps and saw that the address was not in a residential area, but an industrial area of body shops and a junkyard. I got suspicious and cancelled the meet up.

Finally, my son’s car got totalled and he tried to sell the set of winter tires he had for the car on Craigslist. The only responses he got were from scammers. Then he tried to use Craigslist to give away the tires and the only response was from some guy who wanted us to deliver the tires to him. :nonono:

Shipping is the big problem for me and selling. Even if the buyer pays for shipping, it's a pain to do it most times. And invariably, it costs way more than the estimate to ship. So, you need to be very careful or use a reserve price to ensure shipping costs don't wipe out any profit.

Something is not right. I use the shipping calculator in the app and I always end up with making a little on shipping and I don't mark it up.
eBay now even populates the recommended shipping method and gives a weight based on other similar listings. If you are losing money on shipping you are selecting the wrong ship method, have the wrong shipping zip code in your account or you have the wrong weight.

Something is not right. I use the shipping calculator in the app and I always end up with making a little on shipping and I don't mark it up.
eBay now even populates the recommended shipping method and gives a weight based on other similar listings. If you are losing money on shipping you are selecting the wrong ship method, have the wrong shipping zip code in your account or you have the wrong weight.
I've had some errors over the years, a few way off. I usually use USPS and usually can't use standard packaging, so now I just overstate the package dimensions and weight somewhat in the initial listing and that seems to have resulted in better shipping cost charges - without gouging buyers. Obviously you don't want to try to bargain with the buyer after they've already been undercharged shipping. I have voluntarily refunded an amount to buyers if they've overpaid more than a buck or two, I gave one buyer in CA $22 - no idea how eBay messed up that one but it happened.

I've had some errors over the years, a few way off. I usually use USPS and usually can't use standard packaging, so now I just overstate the package dimensions and weight somewhat in the initial listing and that seems to have resulted in better shipping cost charges - without gouging buyers.........
I do the same, though I generally charge the full shipping, using the discount to offset eBay and Paypal fees. I also have the post office pick up at my house rather than standing in line and having them hassle me over an ounce of weight on a 25 pound package.

I do the same, though I generally charge the full shipping, using the discount to offset eBay and Paypal fees. I also have the post office pick up at my house rather than standing in line and having them hassle me over an ounce of weight on a 25 pound package.

How does tracking work in this situation? Does eBay/USPS send you a tracking # when you have a package picked up at your house?

How does tracking work in this situation? Does eBay/USPS send you a tracking # when you have a package picked up at your house?

The tracking number is generated at the time you print the label and auto populates into the listing. The postman just scans it upon pick up.

I also let eBay calculate the shipping and I have had good results. I use recycled packaging and the stuff the post office will send you for free (Priority Mail). When I am thinking about selling something, I make sure it will be easy to package and most items fit right in my mail box. Every once in a while I take something to the PO, but it is close to me.

Last edited:

Nowadays you print and pay for shipping online, complete with barcode and tracking number, and slap it on your package ready for pick up. It's cheaper than the PO, and means you don't have to even go there if your mail carrier is easy to work with.

UPS and Fedex are better for bigger/heavier things, but same process applies.

Nowadays you print and pay for shipping online, complete with barcode and tracking number, and slap it on your package ready for pick up. It's cheaper than the PO, and means you don't have to even go there if your mail carrier is easy to work with.

UPS and Fedex are better for bigger/heavier things, but same process applies.

Do you print on ordinary paper, and then just tape it onto the package, or do you use special sticky paper like I see on UPS packages ?

Ordinary paper ...

Do you print on ordinary paper, and then just tape it onto the package, or do you use special sticky paper like I see on UPS packages ?

Regular printer paper is fine - just use transparent tape to stick on package. Make sure not to cover any of the bar code with tape, and ensure the tape covers all edges of label (so it doesn't get hooked on something during handling and maybe torn).

Last edited:
I use rubber cement, though clear tape works, too.

I just started selling on eBay last year because I gave myself a goal of no new hobby (live sound system) purchases until I sold some of my unused sound equipment. After dipping my toe in the water with about 10 sales across four forums, here is what I have concluded:

1. Try selling your items with the free sites first; Craigslist, FB Marketplace and any other forums that you may belong to. Note that there are numerous buy/sell groups on FB now, so join one or more of them if have more than a few items to unload. If you can sell things locally you avoid the fees and the shipping headaches.

2. By the time I list on eBay I'm in the "I want it gone" phase so I set the opening bid for the auction at the minimum that I can live with plus shipping and consider what I net after eBay, Paypal, and the actual shipping and insurance fees as found money! This is even more true if the stuff you're selling is still depreciating. If you know that item X is worth $500 to the right buyer, then you can make it a BIN listing and wait. But much of what I sold was losing value, so that is why I went the auction route.

I agree with the other casual sellers that dealing with shipping is the biggest hassle. But my selling experiences have been positive so far so I plan to keep going and make some more room in my house for new gear. We call it having GAS (gear acquisition syndrome!)

Regular printer paper is fine - just use transparent tape to stick on package. Make sure not to cover any of the bar code with tape, and ensure the tape covers all edges of label (so it doesn't get hooked on something during handling and maybe torn).

I print out the label on a very old, cheap printer. I use the same clear packing tape for the package and the label.

I just started selling on eBay last year because I gave myself a goal of no new hobby (live sound system) purchases until I sold some of my unused sound equipment. After dipping my toe in the water with about 10 sales across four forums, here is what I have concluded:

1. Try selling your items with the free sites first; Craigslist, FB Marketplace and any other forums that you may belong to. Note that there are numerous buy/sell groups on FB now, so join one or more of them if have more than a few items to unload. If you can sell things locally you avoid the fees and the shipping headaches.

2. By the time I list on eBay I'm in the "I want it gone" phase so I set the opening bid for the auction at the minimum that I can live with plus shipping and consider what I net after eBay, Paypal, and the actual shipping and insurance fees as found money! This is even more true if the stuff you're selling is still depreciating. If you know that item X is worth $500 to the right buyer, then you can make it a BIN listing and wait. But much of what I sold was losing value, so that is why I went the auction route.

I agree with the other casual sellers that dealing with shipping is the biggest hassle. But my selling experiences have been positive so far so I plan to keep going and make some more room in my house for new gear. We call it having GAS (gear acquisition syndrome!)

I have found that the seven day auction on eBay gives me a pretty good idea of the value of my item.

I cover half the bar code (and all the rest of the label) with transparent tape and leave half uncovered. So if the uncovered is unreadable (ripped off, wet), odds are they will be able to read the taped over portion. FWIW.

I cover half the bar code (and all the rest of the label) with transparent tape and leave half uncovered. So if the uncovered is unreadable (ripped off, wet), odds are they will be able to read the taped over portion. FWIW.

Great idea. I usually do that, and now I have a good reason to do it!

I use rubber cement, though clear tape works, too.

Rubber cement may be fine, but I'd be careful about using a glue stick. I had a label fall off somewhere along the line, and the package was sent back to me. I've gone back to using clear tape.

I would be very hesitant to use Craigslist to sell. It’s reputation as a haven for thieves and scammers is well earned.
Not only that, even legit sellers are often not motivated. Since it costs sellers nothing (but a little time to answer emails), sellers there often post stuff that they're only luke-warm about getting rid of. My perception is that, for example, they think it might go like this:

A: I want a new dining room set.
B: We already have one.
A: I'll sell it on Craig's List.
B: You won't get anything for it.
A: What if I get $200?
B: Nobody's gonna pay that much, but if you can, we'll get a new set.
A: Can't hurt to try.
Then I call and offer what it's worth ($50), and they act offended :LOL:

I gave up with buying on Craig's List unless it's nearby and it's an hours-old listing.

Your experiences with EBay... Buying, selling? Good,bad? Mailing, shipping?, Returns? Payments? Problems? Commercial sources, individuals?

In short, anything about EBay that might help a beginner.

Sold my first item in probably over 2 decades on there the other day for $26 I pay shipping.

Went to ship with UPS and they said it would be $20 due to the recipients rural KS address.

Here I was thinking I'll take maybe a $5 loss since I paid $25 for it. :facepalm:

So I've decided to stick to Craigslist. Sorry ebay, I'm not paying $20 to ship a medium flat rate box everytime I sell.

Not only that, even legit sellers are often not motivated. Since it costs sellers nothing (but a little time to answer emails), sellers there often post stuff that they're only luke-warm about getting rid of. My perception is that, for example, they think it might go like this:

Then I call and offer what it's worth ($50), and they act offended :LOL:

I gave up with buying on Craig's List unless it's nearby and it's an hours-old listing.
I've had these experiences and have also gotten some great deals from motivated, middle class sellers. Generally you can tell from the ad based on photo quality, verbiage and seller location. It sounds snobbish, but generally the more money the seller has, the less they are concerned with squeezing the last dime out of an item they no longer want.

Sold my first item in probably over 2 decades on there the other day for $26 I pay shipping.

Went to ship with UPS and they said it would be $20 due to the recipients rural KS address.

Here I was thinking I'll take maybe a $5 loss since I paid $25 for it. :facepalm:

So I've decided to stick to Craigslist. Sorry ebay, I'm not paying $20 to ship a medium flat rate box everytime I sell.
I never offer free shipping, and that's why...you can't know where the buyer will be.

Back
Top Bottom