Ebola in Texas

This is my favorite for reliable information about this horrendous disease. I realize it is pretty technical but I would be glad to clarify if I can.

Epidemiology, pathogenesis, and clinical manifestations of Ebola and Marburg virus disease

Diagnosis and treatment of Ebola and Marburg virus disease

Rich

Thanks Rich great stuff. The one thing I heard and was confirmed by your link, is that survivors can transmit ebola, via sex. I heard that it happened 7 weeks after he had been cured. While I imagine this is something that US and European doctors warn patients about. I wonder in Africa if this message is being delivered and/or if it is be carried out.

I mean you literally cheat death, and after a few weeks of being cured, it is hard to blame a guy to celebrate life by having some fun.

Thanks Rich great stuff. The one thing I heard and was confirmed by your link, is that survivors can transmit ebola, via sex. I heard that it happened 7 weeks after he had been cured. While I imagine this is something that US and European doctors warn patients about. I wonder in Africa if this message is being delivered and/or if it is be carried out.

I mean you literally cheat death, and after a few weeks of being cured, it is hard to blame a guy to celebrate life by having some fun.

Hopefully, increased study in US and around the world will lead to more definitive knowledge about transmission, persistence, etc and that a vaccine will be developed.

Hopefully, increased study in US and around the world will lead to more definitive knowledge about transmission, persistence, etc and that a vaccine will be developed.

A vaccine has been developed which provides 100% immunity in animals. Phase 1 trials in human volunteers are underway this week.

Canadian Ebola vaccine begins human trials

Our hospitals are not designed to care for such infections diseases. I think the CDC should consider designing an building stand alone modules where care can be safely delivered. When a person is identified as having a disease such as Ebola move the medical equipment necessary into that building.

A small module could be placed in major metro areas and 'field additions' stationed in warehouses to ramp up capacity where needed.

Our hospitals are not designed to care for such infections diseases. I think the CDC should consider designing an building stand alone modules where care can be safely delivered. When a person is identified as having a disease such as Ebola move the medical equipment necessary into that building.

A small module could be placed in major metro areas and 'field additions' stationed in warehouses to ramp up capacity where needed.
Factory-built modules that could be delivered to where they are needed...that sounds like a great idea.

Their use would not be limited to Ebola, doubtless other contagious diseases will surface.

It just isn't practical to have a level 3 (4 or whatever) infectious disease treatment facility in every trauma center. We need separate (perhaps even eventually disposable) facilities with their own ventilation, sanitation systems. Build a small 'base' unit designed to accommodate modules for more patients.

Don't mix those patents in a large hospital setting.

Their use would not be limited to Ebola, doubtless other contagious diseases will surface.

It just isn't practical to have a level 3 (4 or whatever) infectious disease treatment facility in every trauma center. We need separate (perhaps even eventually disposable) facilities with their own ventilation, sanitation systems. Build a small 'base' unit designed to accommodate modules for more patients.

Don't mix those patents in a large hospital setting.

Actually it would be easy to use 40 foot containers for this purpose. It could be divided into a patient room and a vestibule for gowning up and down. Since they make housing out of the containers its a readily available and transportable solution.

Great concept, but getting sewer, water, and electricity to these facilities would be hurdles in getting them up and running quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Great concept, but getting sewer, water, and electricity to these facilities would be hurdles in getting them up and running quickly.

The hospital that took the Liberian citizen said that they cleared out the entire ICU, and had to close their ER. I think I remembered reading somewhere that their ICU alone was something like 20 beds!

Do you realize the cost of this for just 1 day, let alone 1-2 weeks? Would be far cheaper to hire a contractor to do an emergency site prep for 1 or 2 pad preps virtually anywhere, compared to letting your entire ICU and ER sit vacant for 1 patient.

Actually it would be easy to use 40 foot containers for this purpose. It could be divided into a patient room and a vestibule for gowning up and down. Since they make housing out of the containers its a readily available and transportable solution.

Interestingly enough I just saw a report on using shipping containers to build everything from apartment buildings to restaurants, to child care facilities.

It does seem like an ideal solution, although not without challenges.

The hospital that took the Liberian citizen said that they cleared out the entire ICU, and had to close their ER. I think I remembered reading somewhere that their ICU alone was something like 20 beds!

Do you realize the cost of this for just 1 day, let alone 1-2 weeks? Would be far cheaper to hire a contractor to do an emergency site prep for 1 or 2 pad preps virtually anywhere, compared to letting your entire ICU and ER sit vacant for 1 patient.

Yes I understand that the costs of closing an ER are huge. And I do believe that it would be cheaper for a contractor to do site prep for a couple of pads. But I'm citing possible logistics problems in getting utility services to the pods. Available existing utilities, contractor mobilization, materials, permits?

It seems to me that emergency medical facilities are needed immediately upon need. The medical pods cannot be put into service the minute that there is a need or immediately upon deliver of the pods. It could take a few days to supply utilities to a pod in a specific area once the need for the pod and location have been established.

Why worry about containers? Trailer/manufactured housing modules are readily availble for all sorts of layouts. They can be connected and internal modifications can be done quickly.

I could get all this put in within 24 hrs if the utilities were close to a suitable piece of land. Of course, I'd have to be able to tell the appropriate city to GTH as far as permits and inspections are concerned. I would make it go in according to code but if they wanted to see it they needed to be there while it was being done. The typical "file the permit and wait a few weeks for them to get around to it then make an appointment and they might be able to get out there in a few days to inspect it" won't cut it.

Prelim test reveal 2nd Ebola diagnosis in Dallas, awaiting confirmation from CDC test. This is another healthcare worker who was involved in care of Eric Duncan.
This whole event where the CDC let this hospital with no experience in this sort of thing stumble around on their own is disgusting. It's proof positive that their management training was right out of the Keystone Cop play book.

I thought it was interesting that "budget cuts" are being cited as hampering the CDC. It isn't mentioned that the loss of CDC funding was due to HHS diverting money to pay for the federal ACA exchange. :mad:

Last edited:
Our current treatment methods do not scale well at all. There aren't that many ERs that we can close down entirely. Transporting the patients to a central location would certainly not be nice for families.

Transporting the patients to a central location would certainly not be nice for families.
That's the least of my concerns. Less risk of contagion, safety for the caregivers and better care for the patient are miles higher on my list of priorities.

..............I thought it was interesting that "budget cuts" are being cited as hampering the CDC. It isn't mentioned that the loss of CDC funding was due to HHS diverting money to pay for the federal ACA exchange. :mad:
Good point. If it wasn't for the ACA I doubt that we'd even have an Ebola epidemic.

There are stories being pushed on internet that nurse's boy friend was admitted to THPH on Sunday with symtoms of ebola. He works at Alcon Labs in Ft. Worth. However, the CEO of Alcon issued a memo that the boy friend was admitted to the hospital only to monitor for potential signs and symptoms. A subtle difference, but one that could lead to more panic in other cities.

That the family contracted nothing is very encouraging. But pity the poor health care workers!!!

Good point. If it wasn't for the ACA I doubt that we'd even have an Ebola epidemic.
I wasn't attempting to be political. The CDC's mission is too important to have funds diverted to an unrelated use just because "they can."

Back
Top Bottom