Effective Dog Repellant for Grass?

Water.

Lady I knew who trained dogs used something like a Super-Soaker to correct them.

Maybe use it on the owner as well.

Vinegar and citrus will kill the grass completely.

It’s interesting to learn what the strip of grass between the sidewalk and curb is called in different parts of the country. Here in the DC area we usually call it the tree box.

In some areas of Ohio, it's called the "Devil's strip". Just heard about that recently.

-ERD50

There are several things you could try, depends on how much energy you want to put out.

"Liquid Fence" is a dog/cat pee repellant you can spray in your yard or garden.

You could try a small picket fence boarder around your yard, they come in various sizes.

There are ultrasonic and sound repellents. They can be on constant or motion activated. Some are solar powered. Only animals hear.

Good luck and hopefully, the owners are at least picking up the poop! That doesn't always happen around here, even though the city ordinance says too and there are numerous doggie bag stands available.

Last edited:
My subdivision is near a townhouse subdivision that has a lot of dogs that are walked in ours due to convenience. A great public dog park is less than a mile down the road, but its easier for them to just use our front and side yards for toilets. One neighbor uses his security cameras' footage (great detail and very clear) and posts 'offenders' frequently on Nextdoor and Facebook. He also takes screen shots and blows them up to post on the light pole in the grass strip in front of his house. Last month he posted a Nextdoor video of a repeat offender tearing down the picture of him and 2 urinating dogs from the previous day. The neighbor next to him has a sign that is very similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/SmartSign-La...c8-9799-37d3173cc4bb&pd_rd_i=B09T6XQY2L&psc=1

I just sprinkle some cayenne pepper in my front area, or mix it with water and spray it with a pump-up sprayer. It seems effective, but maybe my neighbors just have front yards with more interesting smells.

ERD50 said:
In some areas of Ohio, it's called the "Devil's strip". Just heard about that recently.

I've lived in Ohio my entire life. It's called the "tree lawn" in every city I've lived in.

And yes, also here the sidewalk and the grass between the sidewalk and the street is public property however the homeowner is charged with maintaining the sidewalk and the tree lawn by ordinance. You can't keep anyone off it nor can you do anything to prohibit people or animals from using it because, well, it's not yours.

You can be ticketed if you do something like trying to block access, putting poison or pepper down, etc. Remember, there are cameras everywhere now so you're not going to get away with it for long, especially if you cause harm to a person or animal.

No poison even on your own property: https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-959.03

The first offense is a misdemeanor and second and subsequent violations are fifth degree felonies.

The public right-of way here actually extends 12" from the sidewalk on to the front yard. The "Get off my lawn!" people just love it when I tell them that. :)

I'm now up to 4 different dog owners - that I know of - that have let their dogs urinate on my curb's grass strip in front of my house. Each time, I've genuinely told them nicely to please have their dogs do their business elsewhere. And each time, the response has been something to the effect of "the dog likes to do it here." No apology, no promise to not do it again. And then my tone gets firmer, and they still have an attitude of "I-did-no-wrong" and "my dog has a right to go here."

I live in a typical suburban town, one house relatively close to the next. None of these 4 people live near me, so clearly they prefer to let their dogs p*ss and shift somewhere other than their property, or their immediate neighbors'.

Why don't you simply invent something that will keep a dog from peeing or defecating (in a humane manner) until the owner decides it's OK? You'd be a billionaire.

Because otherwise they will just go when they want as they have since the Dawn of Time.

Last edited:
Because otherwise they will just go when they want as they have since the Dawn of Time.

The issue is not dogs. I don't own a dog, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that dog owners supposedly are the master, and teach their dogs to obey. I don't live on a busy street; just curb the dog, it's not hard to do.

I saw some kids (maybe high school age) let a dog stop and piss on my neighbor's mailbox post. It wasn't real quick, and they just let him do it.

We don't have sidewalks in my neighborhood. It's amazing how rude people are with letting their dogs get in people's lawns. I don't have much of a problem, but I notice my landscaping rocks getting kicked around out into my driveway at times.

But the worst part is hearing dogs barking, and that's almost never from the dogs walking by, but from dogs of nearby neighbors within several houses of mine. These people need to get those shocking bark collars for their dogs. It seems so rude that these people are infringing on their neighbor's privacy in their own homes, even with the windows closed.

These people need to get those shocking bark collars for their dogs.

While I agree that sound nuisances are a big deal, this seems like a horrible solution to what should have been proper dog training.

Dogs are great; people are often terrible.

A motion detector tied to a sprinkler

^^^^^^^^^^ this along with a camera pointed there so you can see the owners get wet too! LOL

Thoughts of poison or spraying the dog and owner with water seem pretty extreme and just going to escalate the issue to eventual news worth events.

I just sprinkle some cayenne pepper in my front area, or mix it with water and spray it with a pump-up sprayer. It seems effective, but maybe my neighbors just have front yards with more interesting smells.

I like the cayenne pepper suggestion, seems very balanced and subtle without any harm.

So, if you solved your issue with dogs, what are you going to do about the cats, foxes, opossums, coyotes, rabbits, birds (yes they do!), etc. :confused:

Alternatively, you could find a worthwhile hobby and stop pestering dog owners :rolleyes:

I saw some kids (maybe high school age) let a dog stop and piss on my neighbor's mailbox post. It wasn't real quick, and they just let him do it.

We don't have sidewalks in my neighborhood. It's amazing how rude people are with letting their dogs get in people's lawns. I don't have much of a problem, but I notice my landscaping rocks getting kicked around out into my driveway at times.

But the worst part is hearing dogs barking, and that's almost never from the dogs walking by, but from dogs of nearby neighbors within several houses of mine. These people need to get those shocking bark collars for their dogs. It seems so rude that these people are infringing on their neighbor's privacy in their own homes, even with the windows closed.

Dogs like to urinate on mailbox posts, fire hydrants, etc., because other dogs have done it first. They're trying to cover up the other dogs' odor with their own. Curbing your dog is a reference to having the dog under control with a leash and to pick up the poop. It doesn't have anything to do with urine. I understand it's an annoyance that dog urine can burn the grass, but there are all kinds of annoyances that we have to learn to live with or adapt to.

Here are some adaptation tips: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/home-living/dog-pee-killing-grass/

Dogs like to urinate on mailbox posts, fire hydrants, etc., because other dogs have done it first. They're trying to cover up the other dogs' odor with their own.

I wasn't blaming the dogs or their reasons. I was blaming the dog walkers.

Here's my experience and reality. We've had two dogs the last 15 years. A male (2008-2022) and now an 8 y.o female. When going for a walk, before we get off my property and common/green areas, their bladders were/are pretty much empty and their poop is already in the bag. Then, while on the walk through the hood, they still instinctivly go through the motions to pee when they smell other dogs presence, but they produce no volume. Usually, to my eyes, there is nothing. Knowing there is very little to nothing coming out, I do not disrupt them. Yes, I know what it looks like to the "no pee/poop" crowd, but since I manage them early in the walk, my dogs tanks are empty, but we still need our exercise/walk.

Back
Top Bottom