Cut Short

Moparguy392

Recycles dryer sheets
I bought a Powersmart lawn mower in June from Menards in Minnesota. I DID NOT do thorough due diligence researching the reviews. Bought it because it was a reasonably priced rear drive self propelled mower with a THREE YEAR WARRANTY! When it arrived I assembled it and started it. Seemed to run a little rough but I thought that perhaps the motor needed to break in. Of course, DW and I began mowing on a day that was quite hot. We finished the front yard and began the back. When she stopped the mower to empty the grass bag, she tried to restart. No dice. I came over and it would not start for me. We got the other mower (non self propelled) and finished the job. Tried mowing 3 other occasions with the same result.

An already long story short, I looked at the reviews more closely and they were horrible, citing no customer service and no service facilities nearby. Instructions said there were no returns to Menards after you add oil and gas. Only option was to contact Powersmart. Tried...could not get through. Said you had to register the product first. Tried to register on line...could not.

I finally realized what a pile this was and disputed the payment with my CC company before the end of the billing cycle. After their process with the vendor, it resolved in my favor and I was not charged.

The final statement from Menards was:

"Thank you for your reply. Please donate or dispose of this item in a safe and proper manner.
Best Regards,"

We always try purchase large items with CC for that purpose. Whew! (BTW our CC company used to double the manufacturers warranty but they do no longer. In this case it wouldn't have mattered. The manufacturer was unresponsive.)

Last edited:
I thought he said not to carry a balance.

It might be worth having someone look at the old mower. Could be something simple. There are only so many engine manufacturers, and parts are generally available and relatively cheap. At the very least put it on Craig's List of FB Marketplace for free. Just on the curb with a "Free" sign in most towns will have it picked up by a small engine DIY'er in no time. These things are pretty easy to fix once you've done a few of them.

Who listens to Dave Ramsey? I listen to DW, who keeps our funds well into mid-seven figures.

I think Dave is working with a different demographic than most of us here. Frankly, I don't read or listen to him, I only know what others have said.

For his target audience, I think the "no cards" message is probably a good starting point. Ideally, they'd learn and grow from there, and eventually be able to take advantage of credit cards without maintaining a balance. By then they wouldn't need him any more.

The final statement from Menards was:

"Thank you for your reply. Please donate or dispose of this item in a safe and proper manner.
Best Regards,"

So one night you brought it to a Menard's store parking lot and put the lawn mower in the shopping cart area, right? :greetings10:

I think Dave is working with a different demographic than most of us here. Frankly, I don't read or listen to him, I only know what others have said.

For his target audience, I think the "no cards" message is probably a good starting point. Ideally, they'd learn and grow from there, and eventually be able to take advantage of credit cards without maintaining a balance. By then they wouldn't need him any more.

I have dug into the Dave Ramsey videos/radio a bit, as several people on various forums praised him. The more I listened, and the more the fans tried to rationalize his views, the more I came to hate him (I don't use the word 'hate' lightly).

I agree with you, some people may need that as a starting point. But DR *never* takes them beyond that, *never* tries to teach them how to use a card responsibly, and take advantage of those rewards, float, and flexibility (and *never* is also a word I do not use lightly).

Maybe there are people who just would never learn, but you could TRY! At least present it as on option, a goal worth achieving.

-ERD50

I have dug into the Dave Ramsey videos/radio a bit, as several people on various forums praised him. The more I listened, and the more the fans tried to rationalize his views, the more I came to hate him (I don't use the word 'hate' lightly).

I agree with you, some people may need that as a starting point. But DR *never* takes them beyond that, *never* tries to teach them how to use a card responsibly, and take advantage of those rewards, float, and flexibility (and *never* is also a word I do not use lightly).

Maybe there are people who just would never learn, but you could TRY! At least present it as on option, a goal worth achieving.

-ERD50

We took a DR class at a church we attended for a couple months. My take is his target audience has a relationship with cards like an alcoholic has with liquor. For most used responsibly both can be good but if your an addict best to just say no. :cool:

We took a DR class at a church we attended for a couple months. My take is his target audience has a relationship with cards like an alcoholic has with liquor. For most used responsibly both can be good but if your an addict best to just say no. :cool:

Yes, I kinda get that analogy. But I'd say he just assumes it, rather than even trying to find out if they can handle it responsibly (to their advantage). And as other's suggest, he's playing to an audience, and IMO, is more interested in keeping that audience than in helping them. And like I said: "Maybe there are people who just would never learn, but you could TRY! "

Somewhat separate from the credit card thing, he gets people so focused on debt reduction, that they are encouraged to reduce/eliminate debt at all costs (both financial and quality of life). Living in a home in a good neighborhood with good schools and good role models for your kids with a low interest mortgage, may be far better overall than getting so indoctrinated in the cult of "no debt", that you sell your home in a rush at a low price, and pay cash for a crappy place in a bad neighborhood with lots of crime, poor schools, and bad influences on your kids. And take three jobs so you can earn enough to get out of debt quickly, which means you have no quality time with your family. I've heard a radio episode that was pretty much like that.

And yes, the "debt free scream" does come across as 'cult-ish'.

-ERD50

Last edited:
To be fair DR is dealing with people who think they can continue spending because there are still checks left in the checkbook. :)

So it doesn't surprised me he'd tell the above to cut up their credit cards.

Somewhat separate from the credit card thing, he gets people so focused on debt reduction, that they are encouraged to reduce/eliminate debt at all costs (both financial and quality of life). Living in a home in a good neighborhood with good schools and good role models for your kids with a low interest mortgage, may be far better overall than getting so indoctrinated in the cult of "no debt", that you sell your home in a rush at a low price, and pay cash for a crappy place in a bad neighborhood with lots of crime, poor schools, and bad influences on your kids. And take three jobs so you can earn enough to get out of debt quickly, which means you have no quality time with your family. I've heard a radio episode that was pretty much like that.

-ERD50
+1

Quite agree. We have a mortgage at 2.375% and not paying any sooner than required.

-ERD50

+100
It’s a one size fits all approach.

To be fair DR is dealing with people who think they can continue spending because there are still checks left in the checkbook. :)

I recall a story of older bro saying that to Mom... Now we ask "What's a checkbook?"

It's a good point. Now, folks like us view him with disdain. He is a kind of one-trick pony.

But most of America has not mastered that one trick of avoiding costly consumer debt!

But the folks that need DR type counseling most would appear to be our representatives in Congress. A statement of simple fact, not one of politics.

Back
Top Bottom