Effects of aging Part 2

aja - just out of curiosity, I read some of the reviews from people who have taken tamsulosin for BPH, on the drugs.com website. I have included the first 3 reviews I came across (there are LOTS of reviews).

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia "After 1 week of flomax, urine flow was slightly effected. I have started experiencing dizziness, extreme fatigue, weakness, nausea, diarrhea, headache, chills, body aches and flu like symptoms. Goodbye flomax."

1.0mesher (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2018

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia "I have frequent urination at night. Dr prescribed Flomax. I took my first pill last evening 30 minutes after dinner. Felt nauseous in the morning. Got up for work and nearly passed out in the shower. Flopped on the bed wrapped in a towel. Had a cold sweat. My BP must have dropped. I did not go to work today and have been lethargic all day. I am not taking Flomax ever again."

Yogi (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2018

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia "Took Flomax for 1 1/2 years for an enlarged prostate. On the positive side, it did help ease the flow of urine, though not significantly on the frequency. However, my blood pressure kept dropping and on my daily walks I noticed I would often feel like I'm going to pass out or faint. This was happening 4 or 5 times per hour, so I asked my doctor if I could withdraw the medication to see if these attacks or syncope would go away. After 3 days I noticed that the symptoms had gone. It's about 1 month now without an attack. So my personal diagnosis, for what it is worth, is that Flomax can reduce blood pressure enough to cause symptoms akin to syncope."

It seems to me that these folks experienced some of the same exact things you experienced recently......nearly passing out, cold sweats, sharp drop in BP, dizziness. Could be a coincidence, but I'm guessing it's not, because these are some of the same common side effects that the drug manufacturer lists for tamsulosin. You might be able to solve your problem by getting rid of the tamsulosin.

Here is the link to the site with the reviews, if you want to read more:
https://www.drugs.com/comments/tamsulosin/flomax.html

aja -

It seems to me that these folks experienced some of the same exact things you experienced recently......nearly passing out, cold sweats, sharp drop in BP, dizziness. Could be a coincidence, but I'm guessing it's not, because these are some of the same common side effects that the drug manufacturer lists for tamsulosin. You might be able to solve your problem by getting rid of the tamsulosin.

FYI--- there are other drugs that do exactly what Flowmax does but are different formulations. Uroxatral (Alfuzosin) works well with, in my case, none of the pesky side effects after the first few days. Another one is Rapaflo, don't recall the chemical name

RAE: Thanks for the summaries on this. Don't forget, I was taking a BP pill (20 mg Metoprolol) at the same time. I assume the PCP that put me on Tamsulosin 2 years ago was unaware that it lowered BP. I didn't know it either.

My Cardiologist took me off the BP med and left me on the Tam as I need that to help with the urination issues.

I'd love to get back to the time when I didn't take any prescription drugs, but maybe that train has left the station at one month shy of 75 years old.

FYI--- there are other drugs that do exactly what Flowmax does but are different formulations. Uroxatral (Alfuzosin) works well with, in my case, none of the pesky side effects after the first few days. Another one is Rapaflo, don't recall the chemical name

Thanks for the info!:)

RAE: Thanks for the summaries on this. Don't forget, I was taking a BP pill (20 mg Metoprolol) at the same time. I assume the PCP that put me on Tamsulosin 2 years ago was unaware that it lowered BP. I didn't know it either.

My Cardiologist took me off the BP med and left me on the Tam as I need that to help with the urination issues.

I'd love to get back to the time when I didn't take any prescription drugs, but maybe that train has left the station at one month shy of 75 years old.

I understand. But as RazzTazz says, there may be other drugs out there that help with the urination issues without causing the side effects you are (probably) experiencing with tamsulosin. Have you considering seeing a urologist to discuss that? Clearly, your PCP didn't know a whole lot about tamsulosin before he/she prescribed it for you. And the cardiologist you are now seeing may not know much about it either, as it's not a drug they are likely to deal with very often. If I were you, I'd probably make an appt. with a urologist asap to see about alternatives to tamsulosin, before I spent a lot of time and $$ having a cardiologist investigate heart-related issues, when your heart may not be the cause of this at all.

Again, I'm just trying to help here, and I'm not a doc........feel free to disregard my advice if you don't think it is helpful.

I understand. But as RazzTazz says, there may be other drugs out there that help with the urination issues without causing the side effects you are (probably) experiencing with tamsulosin. Have you considering seeing a urologist to discuss that? Clearly, your PCP didn't know a whole lot about tamsulosin before he/she prescribed it for you. And the cardiologist you are now seeing may not know much about it either, as it's not a drug they are likely to deal with very often. If I were you, I'd probably make an appt. with a urologist asap to see about alternatives to tamsulosin, before I spent a lot of time and $$ having a cardiologist investigate heart-related issues, when your heart may not be the cause of this at all.

Again, I'm just trying to help here, and I'm not a doc........feel free to disregard my advice if you don't think it is helpful.

RAE, thanks for the advice. You make very good sense. I did not know about other drugs that would be alternatives. Looks like I'll see about meeting with a urologist soon. I need to do that anyway since I do have a problem with my prostate. The Tam is just a bandaid for a better solution.

I was first put on Flowmax by a urologist in 2008, then Tamsulosin once the generic was allowed. I've never had any side effects and have tried coming off it several times but the frequent urination returns after a few weeks and goes away once I start taking it again.

However I have also not been taking any other drugs.

I had the same problems with feeling light headed and almost fainting a few times . It was because I had lost 40 pounds and my BP meds needed to be decreased . The Doctor took me off one medication and it never happened again.
+1. I only take a diuretic, having been taken off a stronger BP med when I lost 45 lbs in 2009. Having now lost another 40 lbs, I've been seeing most readings around 105/72. And last week, after a day of feeling light-headed and an ill-advised long intense bike ride where my feet were cramping at the end, I woke up to 90/60 and felt terrible whenever I stood up. I think I was wildly dehydrated.

I went off the diuretic a few weeks ago and my BP didn't immediately spike--got up after a week to 120/80, but then I couldn't handle the water retention and so started it again. That's when the dehydration bout happened. I'm trying going off of it again, promising to stick with it.

The Rest of the Story (but not Paul Harvey! LOL)

[…]I ordered the Omron 10 also, which was the highest rated by Consumer Reports and had good Amazon reviews.

To continue on my (unintentional!) thread hijack (sorry!!!)….

I received my new Omron 10, which is essentially identical to the Omron 10 that I purchased 7 years ago and had been using.

I put the cuff from one on my right forearm, and the cuff from the other on my left forearm, and measured my BP with both, simultaneously. OK, I was a little excited to be doing this experiment, I must admit! And I had just hurried from my front door to my den with the package, and tore it open rapidly and so on and hadn't rested afterwards but apparently none of this raised my BP too much.

OLD OMRON 10 BP MONITOR: 108/64, pulse 76
NEW OMRON 10 BP MONITOR: 107/67, pulse 77

So, my conclusions are that these are virtually identical and nowhere near the 141/94 measured while I was resting peacefully at the doctors office. I also conclude that my BP monitor is just fine, and that my high BP at the doctor's office must be due to "White Coat Syndrome" despite my calm and peaceful feelings at the doctor's office.

I'm giving the old BP monitor to Frank, who is also on BP meds but doesn't have a monitor. I think/hope he will use it now and then, just to keep tabs on his BP.

I plan to show my BP records to my doctor next time, and point out the lowest of the BP measurements to make sure these are not becoming an issue. Thank you!

Update..frustration

I posted this elsewhere earlier but should have added it in my thread:

Got my heart monitor this morning at 9:00 am. Slick device, bluetooth connection, cellular to the data center. Supposed to wear it for two weeks.

The only problem is that is shut itself off (lost connection) at least 20 times today. Stupid message says electrodes are not connected to my chest, but it's on there like super glue.

Tried to call the 800 help line but after an hour on hold I just hung up.

Maybe this damn thing is made in China.

I have it off permanently. Tomorrow I'll try to call them again. If I can't get this thing working properly I will go to my doc's office and give it back to them.:mad:

Just a suggestion... when measuring BP yourself at home or them doing it at Dr. office, look at, or ask, what your heart rate is at the time of measurement. All the electronic devices do it simultaneously.

I suffer from the white coat syndrome, even with me taking it at home, until I do it enough times to settle down (meaning, that the inflation, holding, and slow deflation of the cuff doesn't make me tighten up anymore).
What I consistently find, is if my heart rate is elevated, so is my BP, with systolic more affected than diastolic. When my BP has been taken at Dr. office or Dentist, they all are looking at BP, and not really looking at heart rate.

So I measure BP at home, and note heart rate. Then at office, they see a higher BP. And I have to ask about the heart rate, or they have to do it over so they can tell me. Surprise! My heart rate is up quite a bit... and so is my BP! Duh! It's a Pump! Run it faster, pressure increases!
My heart rate goes up at the Dr's office, and so does my BP!.

Sometimes that walk from the waiting room to the nurses office with hurry up sit-down let me take your BP really gets me going!

Before a procedure - like a colonoscopy - I can really feel my heart rate elevated, it's probably over 100. So of course my BP is high.

I also write down the heart rate with my BP at home.

Due to remodeling they only had a regular chair for me to sit on, and there wasn't any place to rest my forearm. So, I just kept my elbow bent, and I guess it was approximately the level of my heart. But it wasn't supported on a table. Hmm!! I wonder if that could have caused the higher BP readings.

Absolutely! The nurse should have at least held your elbow for you and tried to get you to relax and let them take the weight of your arm.

Technique is very important when taking BP. They aren’t supposed to take it for 5 minutes after walking and you aren’t supposed to be talking. I brought my machine with me to make sure it’s accurate. I replace mine every 10 years.

Yes - it is important that you are sitting, your arm is at the same height as your heart, that you haven't just walked in from a long walk and you are relaxed. The placement of the cuff is important. The arrow needs to be aligned with your brachial artery and the cuff placed over your upper arm. Then the machine will inflate the cuff to a pressure higher than the average systolic and step down. Essentially, the cuff shuts flow through the artery momentarily and then when the pressure of the cuff is low enough for the artery to 'bounce back', that establishes the systolic pressure reading.

Poor readings can occur if any of the above technique or environment is not present. I find that many times the technicians place the cuff wrong and I have to remind them.

I posted this elsewhere earlier but should have added it in my thread:

Got my heart monitor this morning at 9:00 am. Slick device, bluetooth connection, cellular to the data center. Supposed to wear it for two weeks.

The only problem is that is shut itself off (lost connection) at least 20 times today. Stupid message says electrodes are not connected to my chest, but it's on there like super glue.

Tried to call the 800 help line but after an hour on hold I just hung up.

Maybe this damn thing is made in China.

I have it off permanently. Tomorrow I'll try to call them again. If I can't get this thing working properly I will go to my doc's office and give it back to them.:mad:

When I first started reading this post I thought, "Wow, that sounds much better than the version I wore for 48 hours.". Maybe not.

When you say "bluetooth" I assume that means no wires from the electrodes to the receiving box? That would be great if it works, those wires were such a pain while sleeping. Even without a cellular connection it would be a huge improvement as you could place the receiver on the bedside table while sleeping.

Warfarin is considered by many as good as Xarelto, except that it needs monitoring. It's only $200-300/yr.

Yeah. We're all gonna die but how we die is the question.

I had an aortic valve replacement 5 1/2 years ago and go a mechanical valve. I take a low dose of warfarin (2.5 mg) everyday. I test my INR weekly at home with my own machine. I purchased the machine for $345 on Ebay. I follow up every 6 to 8 weeks at the clinic for my heart doctors comfort. I adjust if it is too high or low myself. I also take a baby aspirin (advised by the heart surgeon that did my surgery whom I respect.) (I interviewed 3 heart surgeons before my surgery and he won the surgery).

When I first started reading this post I thought, "Wow, that sounds much better than the version I wore for 48 hours.". Maybe not.

When you say "bluetooth" I assume that means no wires from the electrodes to the receiving box? That would be great if it works, those wires were such a pain while sleeping. Even without a cellular connection it would be a huge improvement as you could place the receiver on the bedside table while sleeping.

Alan:

This model has two ways to install it.

1. A mount that has a peel off backing that the monitor is attached to via a snap in housing. it's stuck to your chest and is very small. It transmits the signals to a Samsung cell phone via bluetooth (within 15 feet of you). Very slick, except mine randomly stops working! :facepalm:

2. Wires that snap onto body pasted round electrodes and the monitor hang in a pouch that dangles in front of your chest. Probably what you had. I have this too, but won't use it if I can get a replacement stick on. Both work via bluetooth to the Samsung phone.

I called the supplier today and they are sending me a replacement by tomorrow. I hope this next one works better.

This is the one I have; https://www.myheartmonitor.com/device/mcot-patch/

Last edited:
Thanks Aja, I definitely would prefer option 1 if it works.

Option 2 was the one I had and it resulted in 2 very disturbed nights in bed.

I don't think that's universal. When my BP goes lower, like 100/60 or less, my heartrate spikes. Typically over 100 bpm when my BP is low. When my BP is in the normal range, 120/80, today my heartrate is in the 50s.

But I suspect it’s common for white coat syndrome.

To continue on my (unintentional!) thread hijack (sorry!!!)….

I received my new Omron 10, which is essentially identical to the Omron 10 that I purchased 7 years ago and had been using.

I put the cuff from one on my right forearm, and the cuff from the other on my left forearm, and measured my BP with both, simultaneously. OK, I was a little excited to be doing this experiment, I must admit! And I had just hurried from my front door to my den with the package, and tore it open rapidly and so on and hadn't rested afterwards but apparently none of this raised my BP too much.

OLD OMRON 10 BP MONITOR: 108/64, pulse 76
NEW OMRON 10 BP MONITOR: 107/67, pulse 77

So, my conclusions are that these are virtually identical and nowhere near the 141/94 measured while I was resting peacefully at the doctors office. I also conclude that my BP monitor is just fine, and that my high BP at the doctor's office must be due to "White Coat Syndrome" despite my calm and peaceful feelings at the doctor's office.

I'm giving the old BP monitor to Frank, who is also on BP meds but doesn't have a monitor. I think/hope he will use it now and then, just to keep tabs on his BP.

I plan to show my BP records to my doctor next time, and point out the lowest of the BP measurements to make sure these are not becoming an issue. Thank you!

Yes, just keep a diary/log. Then you can show if needed.

How did the heart monitoring go? Did you ask for a letter from your doctor to your wife to confirm that you definitely have a heart?

Alan:

This model has two ways to install it.

1. A mount that has a peel off backing that the monitor is attached to via a snap in housing. it's stuck to your chest and is very small. It transmits the signals to a Samsung cell phone via bluetooth (within 15 feet of you). Very slick, except mine randomly stops working! :facepalm:

2. Wires that snap onto body pasted round electrodes and the monitor hang in a pouch that dangles in front of your chest. Probably what you had. I have this too, but won't use it if I can get a replacement stick on. Both work via bluetooth to the Samsung phone.

I called the supplier today and they are sending me a replacement by tomorrow. I hope this next one works better.

This is the one I have; https://www.myheartmonitor.com/device/mcot-patch/
There's another one that I was given that records for two weeks. Much like number 1 but doesn't transmit anything. Very simple. They just stick it on and it really doesn't bother you at all. Shower in it as usual. After two weeks you send it in for processing.

https://www.irhythmtech.com/professionals/why-zio

There's another one that I was given that records for two weeks. Much like number 1 but doesn't transmit anything. Very simple. They just stick it on and it really doesn't bother you at all. Shower in it as usual. After two weeks you send it in for processing.

https://www.irhythmtech.com/professionals/why-zio

Yeah, that one is pretty nice!

My second one works and I'm getting ready tomorrow afternoon to send it back as it's been about two weeks.

I had a couple of "incidents" of rapid pulse and very low BP which were recorded and sent to my Doc. Doc called me and said I have SVT (Supraventricular tachycardia). Looks like that is what I will be dealing with. My appointment with the Doc is on 10/30.

To be continued...:)

Interesting.
Back in post #5 in this thread, I theorized:
...or, for a totally different possibility, for some reason the controller is running the pump way too fast, in a region where the pump's mechanical ability to transfer fluid stroke-by-stroke is compromised, like valve float in a early 1960s V8.
Looking up Supraventricular tachycardia on wiki, I found:
The rapid heart rate reduces the opportunity for the "pump" to fill between beats decreasing cardiac output and as a consequence blood pressure. The following symptoms are typical with a rate of 150–270 or more beats per minute...
I won't charge you anything for my early diagnosis, but I DO wish you the best! :)

Interesting.
Back in post #5 in this thread, I theorized:
Looking up Supraventricular tachycardia on wiki, I found:
I won't charge you anything for my early diagnosis, but I DO wish you the best! :)

Well, thanks! I'll need it!:)

Back
Top Bottom