Eliminating lectin from diet -- leading edge or scam?

explanade

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Heard a podcast interview with Dr. Steven Gundry, MD, who was apparently a heart surgeon.

He described patients who had "leaky gut" syndrome and how one of them lost weight and reduced arterial blockages by taking some kind of supplements.

So he investigated and developed a theory about conditions such as Parkinson's and symptoms such as "brain fog" would be developing from gastric problems, due to diet, environmental factors.

His theory is that there are nerve endings in the gastric tract which can affect higher brain functions, to the point of harming cognitive faculties if those nerve endings are damaged.

For instance, one cause is Round Up, the herbicide widely-used in agriculture. He said we absorb this herbicide through the produce and this herbicide kills "good" bacteria in the stomach which helps digest certain foods.

When these foods aren't properly digested, those nerve endings are compromised and as a result, he's seen patients exhibiting Parkinson's in their 40s and 50s. Apparently it's more typical in much older people.

So one of the problematic foods are those that contain lectin, whose molecular structure breaks through the thin linings of the gastric tract to damage those nerve endings.

Common foods with lectins are all grains and beans. And he says peanuts and almonds are beans but macadamia nuts are not so they're okay.

He has "yes" and "no" food lists here:

https://gundrymd.com/plant-paradox-shopping-list/

So for instance, no pasta, no tomatoes or cucumbers (unless you peel and remove the seeds) but some paleo diet items are recommended and substitutes for popular foods on the "no" list are recommended.

For instance, some kind of non-grain pasta brands which are like $10 for a 9 oz. bag on Amazon.

But he says there are also ways to prepare foods in ways to avoid the harmful effects, like using pressure cooker for rice or quinoa. Or he thinks some cuisines soak things like beans or lentils for hours to neutralize the harmful effects.

He sounds persuasive but he doesn't any peer-reviewed studies or any kind of independent reviews. There may be but he didn't mention them in the interview.

But looking around at his web site, he sells these Lectin Shield pills, which are pricey. Now he didn't really push the pills hard in the interview, other than to say when he goes to Europe, he packs several bottles.

So most of his recommendations during the interview centered around consuming approved foods or preparing them in certain way.

But he apparently stopped practicing business to set up this site and the only thing he seems to sell are those pills, which is also available on Amazon.

A lot of the foods he recommends are part of fad or at least trendy diets at the moment, like keto or paleo diets.

Anyone try to follow this kind of food regime?

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

That's about the only diet I follow.

low carb diet, including eliminating most added sugars, and making sure i get a good dose of good bacteria by drinking some kefir every day, and my gut is very happy and brain a lot sharper This by default means avoiding almost all grains as they pack so much carbs but beans are good on an occasional basis No diet pills.

I don’t know if I want to believe everything I read, but I do soak beans for at least one day and rinse black rice more thoroughly.

I’m glad to see these posts. I once watched half a video that was such an uber-slick sales pitch that it had my BS meter pegged at 100%. I got through about half of it, because I was really trying to find out if there was any informational content at all. I did glean some things but ran out of time.

But I still couldn’t get over the slick salesman presentation by the doctor. If it’s such a great thing, why does it have to be presented in such a caricature fashion? Why not just lay out the facts without a super long drawn out “you’ll be amazed...” type presentation right out of the Ronco school of video sales?

I’ll find it and come back and post it (see below).

I am someone grappling with leaky-gut issues. Maybe. It’s pretty murky out there.

OK - Here is the video. I ran across it somehow. I never could get through the whole thing because it is definitely a snake oil salesmen type presentation. http://cutyourcravings.com/180515A.php?n=aff

Last edited:
Personally, I have no problems with paleo type diets, eliminating legumes, grains, and dairy. I eat mostly cooked foods because other than fruits, vegetables in their raw form often give me gas.

If one is concerned with having a leaky gut and its associated problems the best thing one can do is eat more fiber - both soluble and insoluble. Many fiber enhanced products only have the soluble fiber, but we need both as they both work together to block stuff from leaking out of our digestive system. We need both types of fiber.

I'm not a medical guru. This is what I have read. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

If one is concerned with having a leaky gut and its associated problems the best thing one can do is eat more fiber - both soluble and insoluble. Many fiber enhanced products only have the soluble fiber, but we need both as they both work together to block stuff from leaking out of our digestive system. We need both types of fiber.

I'm not a medical guru. This is what I have read. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
It’s complicated. Eating more fiber is not necessarily beneficial and could exacerbate problems at first. Usually avoiding certain foods - especially anything that causes gas/bloating, taking probiotics and digestive enzymes are recommended.

But it still very murky. Doctors really don’t know how to deal with it yet.

I avoid food with gas. My husband used to like raw bell peppers, but I’m not buying it any more. Some brassicas type of vegetables also cause gas, I cook them more, eat less often.

I avoid food with gas. My husband used to like raw bell peppers, but I’m not buying it any more. Some brassicas type of vegetables also cause gas, I cook them more, eat less often.

Oh I absolutely can’t handle raw brassicas/cruciferous vegetables and only eat them cooked. Same for DH.

He’s had several other “miracle” nutritional supplements and he’s just a slick salesman that will market snake oil. Stay away.

In a word - scam.
Yup.

The short answer, he is a con man. […]
Sounds like it to me, too.
low carb diet […]This by default means avoiding almost all grains as they pack so much carbs but beans are good on an occasional basis […]
I'm not on a really low carb diet, but more like on a lower carb and low calorie diet I guess. But honestly I just don't have the calories for lots of grains and beans and as you point out, the carbs sure do add up. I do eat them now and then but not to excess. Carbs are almost addictive for some of us, so I can see why some people overeat carb-y foods like grains.

I avoid carbs that have high glycemic index. We’re slowly adding back bake potato to our diet, but not the russet type and not mashed potato. Same with rice, we have black rice which has lower glycemic index than basmati or regular rice. But we have much smaller portion than previously.

Regarding 'leaky gut syndrome', I suggest reading this -
A proposed gastrointestinal disorder dubbed ‘leaky gut syndrome’ is currently the topic of numerous debates throughout the medical and natural health communities. Some alternative medicine practitioners claim that leaky gut syndrome is a prevalent problem responsible for ill health in many people. However, most physicians maintain that there is not enough research to prove that it is a legitimate issue. In this article, we will answer some questions you may have about leaky gut syndrome and reveal some of the dangers of diagnosing and treating a condition for which there is no medical evidence.

https://www.badgut.org/information-centre/a-z-digestive-topics/leaky-gut-syndrome/

Scam.

Some people just want to believe, and no amount of fact-checking will deter them.

It's certainly hard to say at this point. I would say that article certainly brings up some questions and identifies some specific claims that perhaps aren't true. But then it turns around and claims it has overall "debunked" a "myth" when it hasn't at all. So they are almost as guilty IMO.

But autoimmune disease is undeniable, as antibodies are easy to measure, and effects on the human body is well known. However, medical science still has no ideas of the causes, and thus can only treat the symptoms, or replace hormones as organs fail.

Leaky gut is one of the proposed causes of some autoimmune diseases such as thyroid autoimmune diseases, and it's just as plausible as anything these days since the modern understanding is so primitive.

So for those of us suffering from autoimmune diseases - we have to keep an open mind at this point.

Last edited:
It's certainly hard to say at this point. I would say that article certainly brings up some questions and identifies some specific claims that perhaps aren't true. But then it turns around and claims it has overall "debunked" a "myth" when it hasn't at all. So they are almost as guilty IMO.

But autoimmune disease is undeniable, as antibodies are easy to measure, and effects on the human body is well known. However, medical science still has no ideas of the causes, and thus can only treat the symptoms, or replace hormones as organs fail.

Leaky gut is one of the proposed causes of some autoimmune diseases such as thyroid autoimmune diseases, and it's just as plausible as anything these days since the modern understanding is so primitive.

So for those of us suffering from autoimmune diseases - we have to keep an open mind at this point.

OK, fair enough. After all, we are most interested in N=moi data sets.
Kinda far out, but this new to me -

In the past few decades, researchers have opened up the extraordinary world of microbes living on and within the human body, linking their influence to everything from rheumatoid arthritis to healthy brain function. Yet we know comparatively little about the rich broth of microbes and chemicals in the air around us, even though we inhale them with every breath.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/take-a-deep-breath-and-say-hi-to-your-exposome/

OK, fair enough. After all, we are most interested in N=moi data sets.
In the past few decades, researchers have opened up the extraordinary world of microbes living on and within the human body, linking their influence to everything from rheumatoid arthritis to healthy brain function. Yet we know comparatively little about the rich broth of microbes and chemicals in the air around us, even though we inhale them with every breath.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/take-a-deep-breath-and-say-hi-to-your-exposome/
Yes - it seems far out, but it is becoming accepted. There have even been studies demonstrating how (or that) microbes in the gut can influence human behavior i.e. the brain.

It seems we are just at the dawn of this part of understanding of the human body and related medical science.

BTW - rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease.

Heard a study that probiotics may displace "good" stomach bacteria.

So either it has no effect or may have harmful effects.

After analyzing the results, they found some of the guts hosted the probiotics, while others did not. “Persisters” experienced changes to their native microbiome and gut gene expression profile, but “resisters” did not.

» RELATED: Tips to prevent getting colds and flu, remedies

“Surprisingly, we saw that many healthy volunteers were actually resistant in that the probiotics couldn't colonize their GI tracts,” Elinav said. “This suggests that probiotics should not be universally given as a 'one-size-fits-all' supplement. Instead, they could be tailored to the needs of each individual.”

For the second part of the trial, the scientists wanted to explore whether probiotics have the ability to counter the adverse effects of antibiotics. Probiotics are supposed to repopulate the gut microbiota after it’s cleared by an antibiotic treatment.

They observed the guts of 21 volunteers by again administering upper endoscopies and colonoscopies after they were treated with antibiotics. The scientists either allowed the subject’s microbiome’s to repair on its own, with probiotics or an autologous fecal microbiome transplant made up of their own bacteria.

The scientists learned that the probiotics’ gut colonization prevented both the host gut’s gene expression and their microbiome from returning to their normal pre-antibiotic configurations months later.

“Contrary to the current dogma that probiotics are harmless and benefit everyone, these results reveal a new and potentially alarming adverse side effect of probiotic use with antibiotics that might even bring long-term consequences,” Elinav said.

Coauthor Eran Segal added, “This opens the door to diagnostics that would take us from an empiric universal consumption of probiotics, which appears useless in many cases, to one that is tailored to the individual and can be prescribed to different individuals based on their baseline features.”

https://www.ajc.com/news/world/probiotics-are-useless-many-cases-study-says/YjXlBJb7psEsgfYdypTL7N/

As someone who rarely gets sick, cold or flu even in the presence of others who get flu. No flu shots ever. I do wash my hand regularly, eat fermented food like Kim chi, once a while. Same with my husband but he eats more yogurt than I do.
So I tend to ignore these studies. That I must make sure my millennial kids don’t do anything stupid.

Back
Top Bottom