Emotional support animals in restaurants/stores

What about those with pet allergies? DW is extremely allergic to cats; well not actually the cat, but the dried saliva (dander) that drys on the cat while grooming itself. My son used to have an allergy to dogs. If we bend over backwards for those with peanut allergies, why start to antagonize those with pet allergies?
Great point.
Had a US car dealer give a free long term rental for airbag work on my auto. Was told "no pets allowed in rental car" when signing forms. "Why?" I was told because some people have allergies to pets. Hmmmmm

Are car rental companies the only ones left with common sense?

I am extremely allergic to cats but would just ask to be seated far away. Plus I carry my rescue inhaler. If we take our 2 Maltese they fit in one bag under the seat. I would never put a animal in cargo. Great way to kill it. We inherited our son’s 80lb dog and drive if we take him.

That is only in the housing and airline contexts, does it apply to restaurants and grocery stores? I think the problem is the definition of "service animal" under the ADA is not well defined and not subject to verification or proof of any kind in terms of restaurants and grocery stores.
What qualifies as a service animal IS well defined under ADA, and it’s different from an ESA. In the restaurant context:
What kind of animals must I allow in my restaurant?

The ADA applies only to service animals, which is defined and limited to dogs and some miniature horses that are specifically trained to respond to the needs of the customer with a disability. A service animal is not a pet. For example, someone can’t bring a boa constrictor or a cat, or even a dog for that matter, to a restaurant simply because it makes him or her feel more comfortable. The law covers only service animals individually trained to do specific tasks to assist the customer with his or her disability. It doesn’t cover animals that provide emotional support, comfort, well-being or companionship.

What can I ask the customer?

If it is not readily apparent that the service animal (dog, for example) is a service animal for the customer, there are only two questions you can ask about the service animal: “Is the animal a service animal required because of a disability?” and “What tasks is the animal trained to perform?” You cannot say, “You don’t look like you have disability” or ask what the disability is. The customer does not have to state what the disability is. To inquire may be a violation of the ADA.
Can an ESA owner lie, yes. Again this is similar to people who choose to abuse handicap parking spots, it depends in part on honest citizens. I never suggested this is easy, but there are legal limits on ESAs.

And again, some of these situations are restaurants and other locations who don’t know what’s permitted so they accept anyone for fear of a lawsuit or because they really don’t want to discriminate against a legitimate service animal and owner. Restaurants owners should know what they can and can’t do, and in time they’ll all be better informed. There are a few restrictions on even service animals, and even more on ESAs - the specifics can vary by state.

https://www.restaurant.org/Manage-M...de-service-animal-protocol-in-employee-traini

Last edited:
Animals are not people. They are animals. Only legally permissible service animals should be allowed in these spaces. Pet owners please leave your dear pets at home.

Midpack, I agree with you, we are on the same page. It's true that a service animal is defined by the ADA, but there is no verification requirements, and what does "specifically trained" mean? The person who brings a dog into a restaurant or store will undoubtedly claim that their animal is trained, and what do you do then? Note that the ADA does not require the owner of the "specifically trained" animal to have a certificate of training, or does it define who can do the training. Despite what some may think there are simply no verification or specific training requirements. So a pet owner does not have to lie, all they have to do is say "my dog is trained" which may very well be true (even though the owner did the training and it was very minimal). Then what? It's not an issue of people lying, it's an issue of there being no verification requirements and no standards. So the net result is the ADA is being used as a ruse or cover for anyone to bring their dog or cat into any establishment.

Last edited:
Kite: you know I meant use and not lose.

1 more reason to not fly Southwest
What about those with pet allergies?
People with allergies are being removed from flights to accommodate those with "emotional support" pets.

Frankly I also hate dogs running through clothing racks in stores. Why should I buy something with your dog hair on it? And yes they should have to buy them a separate seat on an airplane. If I have to buy one for 2 year old child, they need to buy one for whatever kind of animal they determine is emotional support. Including that snake or bug

Last edited:
If they cannot fly without a support animal, drive
Yea, but it takes forever to get to a place like Hawaii by car. And no rest stops along the way.

I enjoy seeing pet animals, if they're under control. But then, that's how I feel about children :)

The service-dog scam is one of several reasons we got out of landlording, never to return.

Wow! That is something that I had never thought of. Thanks for this post.

I think the claim for an emotional support animal can be valid in some cases but so is the allergy to them. Who's rights are to be observed? At least in their own car and clothes shopping online doesn't negatively impact anyone else

Heck when we were kids our dog slept in our beds! We used to fight over who got to sleep with the dog that night

Hence the saying Three Dog Night" for the really cold nights. :D

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom