English Vocabulary Test

I gave up at 5000 grains of rice, but didn't really get much above level 41, before I blew away the screen. Did notice that there seemed to be a lot repetition of the words after awhile though.

How long does the game go on for? had to bail after 20min due to other chores needing to be done,think my score was 40 with couple of thousand rice grains.

I got some grains of rice stuck in my keyboard. Not good.

Thus would be one website link I would not mind seeing Andy put at the top of the home page.........

Thank you. My mother was an English teacher. I had never heard of many of those words, but in multiple choice, you can look at the roots of the words and that seems to work pretty well sometimes.

You bet.

I didn't play very long, so I'm not sure what I would have to do to get a better score. But they started me off with words I generally didn't know, and even with that I managed to guess all but one or two correctly just by knowing some Latin and Greek roots.

2Cor521

Thank you kindly, Meadbh! but I "bumped my head" on 50 -- hit the ceiling. I'm down at 49 with Gumby, with my hat off to bpp3.

Shoot. The only reason I kept plugging away was because I thought you had already shown it to be possible.

Shoot. The only reason I kept plugging away was because I thought you had already shown it to be possible.

OK, hopefully not out of competitiveness but just to see if it was possible, I went back and got 50 with 4220 grains of rice. That's a LOT of rice!

None formally, but my father taught me some Latin roots in 7th grade to use in remembering genera and species for biology class...

A lot of the words also seemed to be taken directly from the French, and I feel comfortable with French. Some seemed medical. Some were oceanographic or botanical.

I think that the longer you play, the higher you can get.

Last edited:
45 and 1860 grains of rice. I was just guessing towards the end, based on word roots from biology. What a great drill! Maybe if I practice this every day I'll be able to get past Tuesday on the NY Times crossword puzzle.
Fun, learning, and giving to charity, too.
Thanks for posting this site!

Last edited:
Actually, I think that was why I made it to 5000 grains of rice. I have made it through Wednesday, and about a third of the way through Thursday on the NY Times crossword puzzle. I think the crossword is harder for me though, 'cause it asks for a lot of authors, directors, etc., and I never read the credits on a movie.
Was a great exercise though. Doing that about once a week should keep the Alzheimer's away.

Only made it to 42 with 360 grains of rice. I guess I'm too young to know some of the oldfashoned and European words.

Level 43, some of the words I have read, some I only understood the root, love the vocab lesson though!

I thought the site was a good exercise in vocabulary skills so i posted it on an automotive forum i go to and got two responses so far
1=So people withhold rice from the UN and starving children until I can get words right on a website?
2=How long will it take to feed one person?
Lets say an average person eats one cup. One cup of rice contain about 7200 grains. Five correct words gets you 100 grains. Then it will take 7200/100 = 72 times of 5 correct words to get one cup. Lets say you cando 5 correct words in 5 minutes (if you are good).
Then, it should take 6 hours to feed one person one cup of rice.
How any starving people in Africa?

Gee What a bunch of cynics

5 correct words in 5 minutes (if you are good).
Damn, I thought the tests were timed. I think I averaged about 5 words per minute. And I got bored and gave up. How long did other people spend on this test to reach those high levels?

Damn, I thought the tests were timed. I think I averaged about 5 words per minute. And I got bored and gave up. How long did other people spend on this test to reach those high levels?

I just timed myself at 6-7 per minute, and I think that tallying them slowed me down. So, my best guess is maybe 10/minute. That checks with my memory of taking roughly 20 minutes to reach 4220 grains of rice, which at 5 words/100 grains would be 211 words.

Back
Top Bottom