Enhancing the Vanguard value proposition

If only they offered cheaper or free brokerage services:cool:

I'd be happy if they did this only for their ETF's. I'd make the switch from fido in an instant...

But only for Flagship Services clients...

If only they offered cheaper or free brokerage services:cool:

DD

Flagship clients get 12 free trades a year with the brokerage.

I suppose it depends on how much trading one does. I suspect that many people attracted to VG tend to be a bit more buy and hold.

Now that ETFs and no to low cost brokerage services are so widespread, I'm pretty much thinking VG has pretty limited appeal even for low cost index investors...they were the pioneers of low cost indexing but others have improved on the concept...

Now that ETFs and no to low cost brokerage services are so widespread, I'm pretty much thinking VG has pretty limited appeal even for low cost index investors...they were the pioneers of low cost indexing but others have improved on the concept...

Some ETF's are lower cost than VG.........;)

Some ETF's are lower cost than VG.........;)

Yeah, they're the ETF's from Vanguard. :D Man, they get ya no matter what you pick.:bat:

I wonder if Barclay's will be cutting the expense ratios on any of its ETF's to compete with VIPERS, like Fidelity did on some of its Spartan index funds.

Also note that a lot of the admiral class of Vanguard's funds are just as cheap as the VIPERS, and cheaper than a lot of other companies' ETFs. Though, you can't buy and sell as easily and ETFs.

I'd switch from Schwab to Vanguard, if I did less trading and Vanguard Money Management accout was as good as Schwabs. 12 trades a year just enough for me and Vanguard still charges $20 trade even for Flagship customer, and has expensive option trades.

Still the one thing I notice when comparing Vanguard to Fido or Schwab, is that generally speaking Vanguard expense are lower, so there investment have higher returns. Typically and 10-20 basis points on their money market, same thing for CDs, and an expense ratio that is at least .1 to .3% lower than anything other than the Fidelity Spartan funds.

So, of these 5 funds, which do you consider the best buy right now and why? I have wanted to invest in the Precious Metals and Health Care funds since the day I joined VG and have always been a bit peeved :bat: that they had closed them and not opened something comparable.
2fer

So, of these 5 funds, which do you consider the best buy right now and why? I have wanted to invest in the Precious Metals and Health Care funds since the day I joined VG and have always been a bit peeved :bat: that they had closed them and not opened something comparable.
2fer

None of these funds fit within my existing asset allocation plan. I don't plan on investing in any of these, although I have been able to invest in all of these all along through DW's 401k.

Of the five, the Precious Metals and Mining Fund would probably be the one I might take advantage of if I wanted to change my asset allocation to include precious metals. Although I would probably go with a broader commodities fund like PIMCO's PCRIX (through DW's 401k also).

The VG healthcare fund could be a good hedge against healthcare costs rising faster than overall inflation. Maybe.

Back
Top Bottom