ER with big mortgage

Although sometimes it doesn't seem that way, it's always better to have options.  I thrashed about with the same decision a couple of months ago. It wasn't easy.

If it makes your decision any easier, 1) should your retire, you will likely go down in history as the youngest federal civil service retiree on this board, and 2) despite signing the VERA agreement, you can always withdraw your application for retirement up until your last day.  The case law is pretty well established. 

Dreamer said:
That is why I stayed with the Fed gov-the need for security. I am sure that most everyone on this board probably makes alot more than I do. I am a GS-11,step 8, but don't have the high locality pay. Maybe I should move to a high locality area for the last 3 years before retirement. Anyone with a room to spare:confused: LOL!!
I don't think DH would like that very much, but teen daughter would love it!!!

Dreamer

Here is an article that debunks the notion that public sector pays less.
http://ripolicyanalysis.org/RIPubPrivPayRatio.html

Here is an excerpt from the article:
" ... Using these data sources, Rhode Island's ratio of average public to average private sector pay was 143%, while the national average was 111%. It is important to note that this ratio does not include health insurance or retirement pension plans. In both of these areas, public sector workers on average have a much better deal than their private sector counterparts. "

Spanky

Spanky said:
Here is an article that debunks the notion that public sector pays less.
http://ripolicyanalysis.org/RIPubPrivPayRatio.html

Here is an excerpt from the article:
"  ... Using these data sources, Rhode Island's ratio of average public to average private sector pay was 143%, while the national average was 111%. It is important to note that this ratio does not include health insurance or retirement pension plans. In both of these areas, public sector workers on average have a much better deal than their private sector counterparts.  "

Spanky

I bet they line them up mighty far when the government hires in Rhode Island ::)

tozz said:
If it makes your decision any easier, 1) should your retire, you will likely go down in history as the youngest federal civil service retiree on this board, and 2) despite signing the VERA agreement, you can always withdraw your application for retirement up until your last day.  The case law is pretty well established. 

Youngest and quite possibly the most foolish :).

Thanks for the info, I agree it's nice to have options. Right now I'm leaning toward taking it because I'm just going crazy spinning my wheels and not having time for the things that are important to me. On the other hand it's possible I could make work more to my liking if I have to stay another 10 years.

So, several years of very frugal living doing what I want, or 10 more years of work for a cushy retirement and no need to watch the spending. Difficult decision, for me.

Renderdog said:
Youngest and quite possibly the most foolish :).
.. it's possible I could make work more to my liking if I have to stay another 10 years.
So, several years of very frugal living doing what I want, or 10 more years of work for a cushy retirement and no need to watch the spending. Difficult decision, for me.

Mark,

It is a difficult decision to make. If you can bear 10 more years of work with the government and somehow manage to make your work more interesting or find another position that matches your interest within, the decision would be easier. Good luck. You can't lose either way.

Spanky

I've decided to apply for the early out Tuesday; just have to hope I get one of the two slots available for my job description. I should know by July 21.

I've been surprised how supportive my friends and family are for my decision, most seem to think it's a good choice. Scary.

Practiced retirement today, spent over an hour cleaning and lubing my bicycle for a ride tomorrow. I'm happy with my decision.

Let us know what happens. I think you are making a good choice. That is a pretty big house for a single guy. I like the idea of bringing in a roommate or 2. You sound like me (have done stuff to the house to your preferences).

It looks as if our last day matches.

You have a chance to be 25 again, albeit with a degree of financial freedom you could only dream of at that age.  You mentioned that the decision is "scary" and I can certainly relate.  However, have you ever had a major life change that was other than that?  Congrats!

I was just notified I have been approved for the buyout!

Thanks everyone for their thoughts and comments, it really helped having some different opinions to think about.

Excited and nervous!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom