Estimated Tax on ROTH Conversion

joesxm3

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just converted about $27,000 to my ROTH. Earlier this year I donated about half that to my charitable gift fund.

In 2021 I was on ACA an will have kept my income low for that, but am now on Medicare so my income will jump due to ROTH conversions.

I think I ended up overshooting my $0 federal tax amount due to some planning mistakes, but I probably will still have a pretty low 2021 tax bill.

At first I was going to ask if the charitable donation would be used to offset the quarterly tax payment or if I would have to make the full estimated payment and then apply the contribution on my return and get a refund.

But now I am thinking that the simplest way to handle things would be to just make one estimated payment in April of 100% of the 2021 tax bill. That should be relatively small and I don't care about missing out on the interest by paying early.

Am I correct that if I pay 100% of 2021 as estimated, I can ROTH convert to my heart's content and just pay up when I file the 2022 taxes?

Here is a quote from some H&R Block site that Google found:

"The IRS will not charge you an underpayment penalty if: You pay at least 90% of the tax you owe for the current year, or 100% of the tax you owed for the previous tax year, or. You owe less than $1,000 in tax after subtracting withholdings and credits."

Thanks.

You understand correctly if your 2021 AGI was $75k single/$150k MFJ or below. Above those AGI requires 110% of the previous year total tax liability to reach safe harbor this year.

Back
Top Bottom