Even the Catholic Church is dumping pension obligations...

Didn't put anything in the pension plan from 1986 to 2002. Wow.

TH, you aren't far off .... the archdioscese reached a settlement of something like $85 million in the sex-abuse cases.  It's been closing churches and talking about selling various property. So I can't say I'm surprised that there's a "shortfall" in the pension fund.

BTW, Ed, the Vatican isn't known for bailing out dioceses. ....  especially those pesky U.S. ones ....

VoyT, the Archdiocese paid for the settlements by selling valuable real estate to Boston College, and reached an agreeement to sell more real estate to BC in the future. The real estate is/was part of the seminary grounds and the bishop's mansion, and it's right across from the BC campus. Hardly anyone goes to the seminary anymore, and Archbishop O'Malley didn't want to live in the bishop's mansion, and BC has wanted the property for a long time. The Archdiocese also reached settlements with its insurers later.

The major ongoing problem is nobody wants to give to the Archdiocese's annual appeal anymore, because of how the Archdiocese messed up.

Leno said the Archdiocese has bought the Neverland Ranch. :LOL:

BUM said:
Dominus vobiscum

That's good! I prefer "de laudace, encore de laudace, et toujours
de laudace."

A better motto for ER folk. Patton used to quote it.

JG

He also used to say #$^%#, (%&&#, Q%$@#ing #@^$%#$&^ers and @#%$@ YOU!

Patton is my hero. I read something somewhere by some shrink that said people that claim to like Patton usually have something wrong with them. Well, theres something else thats now proven. :p

Admiral Ray Spruance - no quotes, Glen Ford did ok in the early Midway movie. No Bull(Halsey - heh,heh) just competent. Apparently neither history nor the media likes hero's who aren't totally full of it.

Back
Top Bottom