Examples of current inflation - add yours!

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
Yikes!

I do all the shopping as DW is handicapped and can't get around without a lot of equipment and time. Today I made the mini pharmacy and grocery run and it seems like every time I go shopping, the prices are going up. I'm talking about basic stuff and not Kobi steaks or other delicacies.

Today's example is common household bleach. Before Covid, this was around a buck a gallon from what I can remember. This stuff is not made via rocket science, it's just sodium hypochlorite (NaCLO) and made in tank car quantities and it doesn't require a whole lot of labor (I have worked at a few plants that made this stuff).

Also, today's visit included a visual of a twelve pack of mini-blueberry muffins, a treat we get occasionally, get repriced from $2.98 to $3.98 per package of 12.:(

Here's the pricing on the bleach (note 2.39 liters, or 81 ounces). This was previously @ $3.22 if I recall a month or so ago:

bleach.jpg

Got any new inflated examples to add?

Aldi gets hit too. The whole grain bread we buy was $1.85. One week later, $2.20.

The 30oz can of pinto beans was .99 and was 1.39 the next trip. These are both in the last few weeks.

It seems they CAN sneak in the 20, 30, 40 cent increases so they DO. Also sizes may get smaller along with the increases.

I know diesel fuel prices are affecting every item that has to be trucked.

If demand doesn't/can't increase,then all we can do is accept the new prices.

Aldi gets hit too. The whole grain bread we buy was $1.85. One week later, $2.20.

The 30oz can of pinto beans was .99 and was 1.39 the next trip. These are both in the last few weeks.

It seems they CAN sneak in the 20, 30, 40 cent increases so they DO. Also sizes may get smaller along with the increases.

I know diesel fuel prices are affecting every item that has to be trucked.

If demand doesn't/can't decrease, then all we can do is accept the new prices.

Every corporate kleptomaniac that can is raising prices. I guess it is a good time to own stock as hopefully they will pass on the excess profits to shareholders. Don't get me started on airlines and rental car companies after all the cash the government rained down on them.

My 5th wheel RV that I bought in Sep 2019 for $35k is now $56k.

My 5th wheel RV that I bought in Sep 2019 for $35k is now $56k.

And you can't afford to tow it because of $4-6 gas/diesel.

And nobody goes camping anymore because all the campgrounds are so full and it costs $80/night to "camp".:popcorn:

Thanks Yogi. :dance:

Last edited:
It is interesting you bring up bleach, aja8888. I was going to mention something here about how my bleach bottle shrunk severely.

On one hand, it is easy to handle, on the other, this shrinkflation stinks!

And you can't afford to tow it because of $4-6 gas/diesel.

Any nobody goes camping anymore because all the campgrounds are so full and it costs $80/night to "camp".:popcorn:

Thanks Yogi. :dance:

"Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded"

It is interesting you bring up bleach, aja8888. I was going to mention something here about how my bleach bottle shrunk severely.

On one hand, it is easy to handle, on the other, this shrinkflation stinks!

Joe, the jug says "concentrated" now so be careful! :D

I've seen many examples. I've mentioned the 50% jump in the bagged apples from Walmart previously from mid-2020 pricing. The most recent - just saw Marie Cellender's frozen pies went up a dollar at Walmart on my last trip. $6.98. Was just under $6 a couple weeks earlier.

And after I left there, I got some gas for $4.99 after noticing it went up to $5.09 at most gas stations where I live.

Yesterday gas at Costco was $5.81 per Gas Buddy. Decided to wait until today. $5.95 and the lines at the recently remodeled station were 4 to 6 cars. Interestingly, the store parking lot was much emptier than usual for a late Friday morning.

It might be a shorter thread if you asked what hasn't gone up!

I can think of one... The equity markets.

Shrinking bleach bottles. Hey, I have to admit the small bottle is handy. What I didn't realize was the bottle I bought last year shrunk down from a gallon. It was already happening!

Right bottle is same brand as OP's (Great Value). Clorox has gone to 81 oz too. Clorox probably makes GV anyway.

Attachments

• shrinkflation1.JPG
    shrinkflation1.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I saw bags of Fritos chips at the local Kroger a few days ago... for $5.19! These weren't the large "party size" bags, either, just the regular size. The last time I remember buying Fritos (maybe 6-9 month ago), I'm almost certain I paid no more than $3.79.

Shrinking bleach bottles. Hey, I have to admit the small bottle is handy. What I didn't realize was the bottle I bought last year shrunk down from a gallon. It was already happening!

Right bottle is same brand as OP's (Great Value). Clorox has gone to 81 oz too. Clorox probably makes GV anyway.

SHRINKFLATION and INFLATION!:facepalm:

SHRINKFLATION and INFLATION!:facepalm:

Seriously! I'm about 90% sure that almost-gallon bottle of Great Value Bleach was less than $2 last year.

We stock up on coffee from Sam's (Starbucks 40 oz bean) when "on sale"... We're going to get hit by a steep increase soon if it doesn't go on sale again.

On the good side, I haven't filled up the ride since gas was $3.75 (about a month ago)

We stock up on coffee from Sam's (Starbucks 40 oz bean) when "on sale"... We're going to get hit by a steep increase soon if it doesn't go on sale again.

On the good side, I haven't filled up the ride since gas was $3.75 (about a month ago)

One slight ray of sunshine for me: Food Lion raised their regular price for a bottle 6 pack of Coke or Sprite (regular or diet or zero sugar) from $4.59 to $4.99 since earlier this year. But it still goes on sale about once every 5-6 weeks for $2.50 (which occurred before the pandemic). They did it earlier this week. I stocked up on enough Coke and Sprite Zero (hopefully :)) until their next sale.

One slight ray of sunshine for me: Food Lion raised their regular price for a bottle 6 pack of Coke or Sprite (regular or diet or zero sugar) from $4.59 to $4.99 since earlier this year. But it still goes on sale about once every 5-6 weeks for $2.50 (which occurred before the pandemic). They did it earlier this week. I stocked up on enough Coke and Sprite Zero (hopefully :)) until their next sale.

That's a good point. I wonder what retailers are thinking about for sales now that they have been able to raise prices significantly and buyers appear to have accepted it.

Less than a year ago a 6 pack of Mt Dew in 16.9 oz plastic bottles was $2.50 all the time at the local Walmart neighborhood store. Now the price the last several months is $3.88. That is more than a 50% increase.

Every corporate kleptomaniac that can is raising prices. I guess it is a good time to own stock as hopefully they will pass on the excess profits to shareholders. Don't get me started on airlines and rental car companies after all the cash the government rained down on them.

You bring up one of the cardinal rules of choosing stocks. Pick those with pricing power. Don't hate gougers - buy 'em!

Regarding the original question: I saw regional brand-name ice-cream for $5. Seemed kinda high compared to what I'd paid this time last Sept. at same store. THEN I noticed the box and it was a "miniature" of its previous box. So for perhaps 15% less they were charging more than 20% more. Fortunately, I'm willing to eat off-brand ice-cream. Found some for half the price and, miracle of miracles, it was the same size as last year. Yum!

Back
Top Bottom