exERcise

I admit that part of the reason I exercise and try to stay fit is pure vanity.

The compliments I have received over the years about my look and fitness (particularly as I never thought myself handsome, and also being shy around women) are a motivating ego boost.

When DW has joked that I need to be "banned" from the college she used to teach at, or from gym, due to comments she has received from other women, that more than makes up for the pain and time of exercise :).

I love my running, swimming, and bicycling. I also do weights, but certainly don't love doing them. I recently had some P.T., and 2 different people commented on my ripped arms. That gave me some ongoing incentive!

I went for a run today (sunny and 49F -- woohoo!). There was a bicyclist stopped at the side of the road when I ran by. He yelled out "go, daddy-o!"

I'm not sure how to interpret that. Did he think I was a beatnik because of my goatee? Was it like a catcall? Or was he cheering me on like "go, gramps, go!"
That was definitely a well-intentioned attaboy. I occasionally get them during my runs.

Any runners out there listen to tunes when they run? I tried it for the first time yesterday after getting a cheap knock-off of some "bone conducting" headphones with built-in MP3 player. They don't block ambient noise, so you can still hear oncoming cars, for example. No need to carry a phone either.

I think I like it. Now I have to come up with a good play list. :)

Any runners out there listen to tunes when they run? I tried it for the first time yesterday after getting a cheap knock-off of some "bone conducting" headphones with built-in MP3 player. They don't block ambient noise, so you can still hear oncoming cars, for example. No need to carry a phone either.

I think I like it. Now I have to come up with a good play list. :)

I always run with music; I have a very old Ipod Shuffle with standard in-ear headphones. I may look into this, but have a question. I am hearing-impaired, as in good ol' fashioned age related hearing loss. Do you know if these would be loud enough for me?

Just wrapped up a mountain bike race today. Spent the hour long race as a Lone Ranger chasing the lead group of three from the same team that were working together in front of me. Didn’t have enough horsepower as an unattached racer working without the help of teammates to close the gap. Finished fourth.

Next weekend have another mountain bike race on the schedule. Registered as a “Clydesdale”. Clydesdale are over 200 lbs. I’m currently at 204 pounds and dropping so I still qualify .... just barely.

With the help of daily cardio and strength training at the gym and many miles and hills on the bike, will be back on the podium soon enough!

I always run with music; I have a very old Ipod Shuffle with standard in-ear headphones. I may look into this, but have a question. I am hearing-impaired, as in good ol' fashioned age related hearing loss. Do you know if these would be loud enough for me?

Well, I can only say that I needed to turn the volume down for my tastes.

Search the comments on Amazon. One popular brand is "AfterShokz," and there are a few reviews like this:
Could be a game changer for most of the hearing impaired

There are fantastic, I visited my dad recently who is hearing impaired and hooked him up to his TV and he loves it. my only wish is they would include the ability to activate the mic and amplify your surrounding sound for the hearing impaired without needing anything else.

Raced mountain bike last night. Had a terrible start, spent much of the race working up through slower racers and ended with a wheel-to-wheel finish line sprint for a 9th place finish in a field of 27 racers.

I upgraded to race with the faster guys this season and am happy with the results.

Headed out to the gym now for my daily workout, which will be followed by yard work and will wrap up the the day on my bike grinding up some lonely gravel road for an hour or two.

20 minutes is a great time! I'd always read the race results, and I'd reset my goal each time. At first, my goal was to beat all the 80-year-old grannies. :) Eventually, I'd pretty consistently place in the top-10 in my age class, which was a good feeling.

I've been passed by a dog wearing wrap around shades in a 10K. :blush: Been passed by babies in strollers, overweight runners, "old dudes" (well I was fairly young at the time), etc. :(

OTOH, qualified for Boston w/a 3:11 (male, 35-39 category) back when the qualifying time was < 3:15, and was able to finish in the top 10% of a couple decent sized marathons. :dance:

I'm not doing a lot of running these days. Dunno why, other than I really enjoy fairly brisk walking and listening to podcasts, or just enjoying the sounds of nature. I walk every day, and in the summer average over 30 miles/week (dips down somewhat during the winter especially when I am forced to do treadmill time).

In fact, leaving for a 4-5 mile walk as soon as I post this.

Apple Fitness+ has really been working for us. We have a Concept 2 rower and weights, plus do yoga, core and cool down and the app has workouts for all these. Otherwise outside cycling and walking.

In fact, leaving for a 4-5 mile walk as soon as I post this.

That was my hidden agenda for this thread. I'm inspired to hit the road whenever somebody posts. :)

As an aside, I've been avoiding curls for years because I "know" they're functionally useless. I've been doing nothing but curls for the last few weeks just for vanity. Seems to be working. Did some hammer curls today to mix things up. I like them!

Mountain bike race last night. Finished 9th in a field of 22 experienced middle age guys. Was nursing a front tire that was slowly going flat so didn’t push as hard through turns and rocky terrain as I usually do.

Gathered with a few friends post-race for a beer and burrito and several mentioned how much faster I’ve gotten this season ... especially when I muscled past them on the climbs. Daily gym sessions, daily bike rides and 45 lb weight loss are paying off.

Headed out to the gym now for my daily workout, which will be followed by yard work and will wrap up the the day on my bike grinding up some lonely gravel road for an hour or two.

My issue is that if I did all of this, I would not have time for the rest of my life. I guess I just don't get the rush of pleasure that some do from large amounts of exercise.

I have my morning routines which take about 15 minutes - Planks, pushups, and core work. 3 times a week I go on a 3-5 mile brisk walk which has plenty of hills to climb and descend.

If I find myself with time on my hands, I have a list of extra exercises I do. Most are just body weight, but I also have some resistance bands for a few. Lately, I've been consentrating on leg strength and range of motion. I do side raises, the chair against the wall pose, and lunges. Lunges were impossible before my knee surgery.

Several exercises involve balance. I am terrible when it comes to balancing on anything less than two legs on terra firma. That's why I could never roller skate, skate board or ski even as a teenager. My forma yoga class instructors would look at me and just groan when any pose required taking a foot off the ground.

Went for a 30 mile trail ride this morning. Left my ebike at home and took my old Trek. Haven't riden anything but my ebike since last July. What a difference. I had a tough head wind today for 15 miles that would have been unnoticeable on my ebike. Better workout on the old bike, but my butt is killing me. Ebike has a better seat.

My issue is that if I did all of this, I would not have time for the rest of my life. I guess I just don't get the rush of pleasure that some do from large amounts of exercise.

I get it. I put in lots of time at the gym and out on my bike on workouts. I love amateur bike and trail running races and the daily gym sessions and bike workouts are the price I pay to get the addictive rush on race day.

Love the whole race experience. From the pre-race nervousness at the starting line, the mad acceleration into the first corner for the hole shot, and sometimes ... when everything comes together just right ... a sprint at the finish for a podium position.

No issues playing Pickleball 6x weekly for at least 4 hours a day.

Several exercises involve balance. I am terrible when it comes to balancing on anything less than two legs on terra firma.

One thing that I found helpful was to close my eyes. Basically, if your eyes are open, you are using vision to help balance. Take vision out of the equation and it's pure proprioceptive training.

Maybe TMI, but I do this in the shower (standing on one foot, eyes closed). :)

One thing that I found helpful was to close my eyes. Basically, if your eyes are open, you are using vision to help balance. Take vision out of the equation and it's pure proprioceptive training.

Maybe TMI, but I do this in the shower (standing on one foot, eyes closed). :)
My shower has an extraordinarily sturdy horizontal grab bar at about waist height. Thanks, previous owner of my Dream Home!

So anyway, like you I close my eyes to practice balance in the shower, while lightly holding the grab bar just in case. I also use the grab bar to hang onto while doing (partial, for now) deep knee bends and stretches. I think of it as a ballerina bar even though it's not.

A week ago I finally gave up on the gym and cancelled my membership. We had only gone there once or twice in 2020 and not at all in 2021. With hardly any people there, all wearing masks and distanced, and weird pandemic rules, somehow it seemed just unfamiliar, scary, and awful. Instead of the gym I loved in prior years, it seemed creepy like an old science fiction horror movie. I kept expecting Rodan to fly in through the skylight and attack, or something like that.

Now I need to figure out a workable exercise routine to improve my present couch potato existence.

It must be an engineer thing. Exercising in the shower is much more efficient than exercising and then showering. :)
Yes, it is! After exercising in the shower, we are clean and ready to move on with our day. I should caution anyone reading this to be careful not to slip. My shower has a non-slip floor, and as I mentioned, I do hold the grab bar (lightly) just to be careful.

If you want an alternative to the gym, I highly recommend Jerry Teixeira's content:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPEAhtSZDkTb0rDGrtaSU7A
Terrific! I'll watch some of his videos tonight. It's always great to learn about another youtube channel that I might enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom