Expat experiences in the UK?

I would expect UK education for DD to be superior, even though she will have to learn to spell a bit differently.

Recently I was catching up on “The Writers Almanac” podcast. One of the subjects was Noah Webster (of dictionary fame). It said that he was the source of spelling changes like “color” vs “colour” and “theater” vs “theatre”. I’m not sure if that’s the gospel truth but it’s interesting.

Once again, thanks to everyone for all of your insightful replies.

DD is on board with doing this -- pending a visit to really get an eye on schools, etc. -- but overall, I would say the family wants to do this.

The healthcare, financial and "return" topics are critical as we're sorting through this.

Following up on this thread:

We've decided to pull the trigger and move to the UK!

My daughter has been admitted to a very nice American school and I think all of the terms with my employer are quite good. We head over in a few days to finalize a house lease. Three year stint.

Thanks to everyone who provided input on this. Your thoughts and experiences were hugely helpful!

This will be quite an adventure. Looking forward to it!

Thanks again.

Following up on this thread:

We've decided to pull the trigger and move to the UK!

My daughter has been admitted to a very nice American school and I think all of the terms with my employer are quite good. We head over in a few days to finalize a house lease. Three year stint.

Thanks to everyone who provided input on this. Your thoughts and experiences were hugely helpful!

This will be quite an adventure. Looking forward to it!

Thanks again.

Congratulations on your decision. I think the experience you will gain career wise will be extremely valuable and hopefully your family will have a similar positive experience.

Good luck on your house hunting.

I'm assuming if your daughter has been taken in to a school......ACS or ASL? Both were considered pretty good back in the 80's when I dealt with them quite a bit. ACS (Hillingdon or Cobham) was more out from London central......where I would rather be. ASL was more of a "down town" (if you can call London down town) place.

I’m late to this thread, but wanted to add some thoughts about tax equalization—make sure you get a thorough understanding on how it works, who pays what tax, and the timeline on which your taxes and more importantly, the equalization will occur.

Overseeing the tax affairs of my corp’s expat program was my responsibility from 2000-2011 (I’m a bit rusty today). I was the liaison between the employee and KPMG, our tax prep firm. I was the one to explain the tax equalization to the employee each year and help them get comfortable that they weren’t getting shafted on their taxes. It’s was a challenge every time, but really it was fair. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Good luck in this adventure

Congrats on making your decision! What an adventure! Look forward to hearing about your adventures in moving to the UK and living in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom