Experience with rollover to Vanguard

nun

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well I'm going to consolidate as much as I can with Vanguard beacause of the fees
the mutual funds they offer and they are very customer friendly. I notice they offer a service
to help in rollovers of $100k oe more. Has anyone used this service, if so how was the experience?

Funny you ask :p. I am doing an in-kind rollover (transferring funds and stocks without liquidating) to Vanguard. I wasn't aware of the special service you mentioned.

I am not exactly clear on this but Vanguard uses a clearing house (Pershing?) to transfer accounts and there is this ACAT setup for doing in-kind transfers all electronically provided that both institutions have ACAT in place. We transferred three accounts. One made it just fine but the two in-kind transfers got hung up due to miscommunication between Pershing and our current Brokerage. I made bunch of calls to Vanguard and my Brokerage, and Pershing is now resubmitting the transfer request.

No system is perfect all of the time.

Smooth and sweet. They sent me the paperwork all filled out, I just signed and sent it back, and some reasonable amount of time later it was done with no problems.

We rolled over two IRAs to Vanguard, one a 403b and the other was an IRA held by a high cost house. No problems with either.

JohnP

I rolled over a 401(k) to Vanguard and am about to do it again. However, in my case the 401(k) trustee is Vanguard.

It was as CFB said...fill out the paperwork with Vanguard (the company receiving the rollover) and they handle the rest.

I've found that it's much easier to find information on how to transfer money into a place than how to transfer out, so I guess it's a good thing they can handle it this way.

I rolledover (2) 401(k) plans, 4 IRAs and other stuff. I'm almost 100% at VG. Will never move.

The $100k that you referred to is a free financial plan that they will prepare for you (I think). Hard to beat that price if you are moving $100k.

Just to add to the Vanguard endorsements:

I was a novice (and nervous  ;) ) investor when I rolled over my 401(k) funds to Vanguard almost three years ago.  I didn't know how it would go, but everything went really easy. You just need to have the right info from the source company, i.e., where the funds are coming from.

Back then, they helped me even when my funds were below $100K.

Back
Top Bottom