Farthest points

farthest west: Ashiya, Japan

Farthest north: a place on the north side of Denali
(need to go north of Healy then take a road northwest to get there (still south of Fairbanks, though) (stayed at place there- - they raise sled dogs)

Farthest east: Istanbul

Farthest south: haven't made it to southern hemisphere :(, so only Costa Rica

Highest point: Denali. (landed on a glacier there (out of Healy) and was able to hike around a bit. We saw cracks in the ice, no more planes were able to land in the future.... but it also sort of counts as the most remote since only a few people are probably on the mountain itself at any time. ) [... and I've been on a few 14'ers (Antero/Princeton/Evans etc when in CO...]

Most remote: If not Denali itself ... it's probably that area in northern Alaska

{in the lower 48, (I've also been in all 50... from Eastport/Lubec, Maine to Ruby Beach, WA to the Tijuana border and Laredo TX/Nuevo Laredo MX and South Pdre Is, TX to Marco Island and south Miami (but not Key West yet :(). Even in the US, been to many places in the west where there's "last gas for 169 miles", one of which is a bit shorter distance now since a new station went up... it's down to about 149 miles now :D }

Regarding "Remote" -- Worked with others (they were in NOAA) that have been at Point Nemo and at Tristan de Cunha (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tristan_da_Cunha) which now has an airport.... used to take almost two weeks by boat) and others stationed at the NOAA Antarctic station (BTW, they do occasionally advertise for support positions... six month stays... to support/fix equipment)... either of those are, almost by definition, the most remote places

Which direction is east / west? But going by coordinates:

North: Jasper
South: Rarotonga
East: Nadi
West: Oahu
highest: North Peak, CA
lowest: Bad Water
remotest: possibly Hawaii

I find it interesting that only two of us are naming our Southern point in the lower 48. We have a TX and a FL.

Lots of Hawaii. Lots of Caribbean or Central America, and then the rest are all you exotic explorers. :)

I'll be truly impressed if anyone comes up with a visit to Bouvet Island, the most remote island in the world.

Bouvet

The nearest land is 1,100 miles away, and that's in Antarctica.

Very interesting I traveled so far west I was in the east! So using the US as a starting point.

North: somewhere off the coast of Alaska
South: Perth, Western Australia
West: Traveling west went as far as Tsavo National Park, Kenya. We anchored off Mombasa and went ashore.
East: Traveling East would be Izmir Turkey
Highest Point: Pikes Peak Colorado
Lowest point: hard to determine, maybe bottom of dry dock 4 at Hunterspoint Naval Shipyard. The dock was 50 feet 5” deep so probably ended up somewhere at 40-45 foot below sea level.
Most remote: Hard to determine, on land either Tasvo National Park, Kenya or maybe Gila Wilderness, New Mexico, underway would probably be the middle of the Indian Ocean or Pacific Ocean.

I have crossed the international date line going both directions so technically using the Prime Meridian I’ve been as Far East or West that you can get. Thank you USN for some interesting places to visit….

Last edited:
Adding to my earlier post, I've been around the world several times. All over North and Central America, all over Europe (most countries) and in most countries in Far East Asia. But it occurred to me that I've never been South of the equator... I've never been to South America, Australia or any of the South Pacific Islands. I think as close to the equator that I ever got was in my visits to Singapore...

Last edited:
I'll be truly impressed if anyone comes up with a visit to Bouvet Island, the most remote island in the world.

Bouvet

The nearest land is 1,100 miles away, and that's in Antarctica.

So, have you been doing Worldle?

This was one they had a few days ago. Even looking at Google maps you had a hard time finding that speck.:D

North would be Quinhagak Alaska.

South would be Namibia.

East would be Bahrain/Kuwait.

Okinawa would be my Westerly.

Highest would be Pickel Meadows.

Lowest would be about 120 feet below the surface near Carmel.

I think I'm the only one who's North is also my West out in Western AK. I thought for sure Kauai was farther west, but Bethel was 161 and Kauai was in the 159's.

North - Quebec City, Quebec

South - Perth, Western Australia

East (based on flight path) West Bank, Middle East

West (based on flight path) - Perth, Western Australia

Highest - Mauna Kea, Hawai'i

Lowest - Dead Sea, Israel

Most remote - Probably Perth, as it is considered one of the largest "remote" cities.

Lowest point: hard to determine, maybe bottom of dry dock 4 at Hunterspoint Naval Shipyard. The dock was 50 feet 5” deep so probably ended up somewhere at 40-45 foot below sea level.

Hey, this jostled one of my few remaining neurons. Most of us have answered our lowest points as either: sea level; something you can dive to; or low-lying land points, like Death Valley or the Dead Sea.

However, what about subsea tunnels? I just checked, and one tunnel I have been through in Norway goes down ~400'. The Chunnel goes down ~150', and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel goes down ~140'. Hell, the Holland Tunnel is ~90'. I am guessing many of us have been lower than we initially reported.

Hey, this jostled one of my few remaining neurons. Most of us have answered our lowest points as either: sea level; something you can dive to; or low-lying land points, like Death Valley or the Dead Sea.

However, what about subsea tunnels? I just checked, and one tunnel I have been through in Norway goes down ~400'. The Chunnel goes down ~150', and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel goes down ~140'. Hell, the Holland Tunnel is ~90'. I am guessing many of us have been lower than we initially reported.

After reading this I guess guess I need to update mine as I road the BART system in San Francisco and it goes 135 feet under the bay.

North America driving: South - Ket West, North: Where the road ends..Homer, Alaska

Southern most: Sydney, Australia
Northern most: Galena Air Base, Alaska

Remote: Island of Diego Garcia, Indian Ocean

Eaglekeeper;2746293]North America driving: South - Ket West, North: Where the road ends..Homer, Alaska

Southern most: Sydney, Australia
Northern most: Galena Air Base, Alaska

Remote: Island of Diego Garcia, Indian Ocean

Actually...it doesn't quite end in Homer
(of course it does at the Homer spit... been there, got some nice Halibut (not everyone takes their full catch out back to the lower 48). If you go on, you go past Kachemak...then past where the paved road ends, then where the gravel road ends....and finally, where the dirt road ends...is an old Russian Orthodox village...kids wearing the old clothes , white bonnets for girls (BTW, the road ends as it drops into the Katchemak Bay). The locals knew that we were there when they heard us describe it (repleat with the green Russian Orthodox spires on the small church)

{didn't say lowest in earlier post.... but thanks above for Out-to-Lunch for noticing the depth of the Chunnel...that would be my lowest...but of course it was in a train...I was thinking that we had to be standing/swimming...so mine would be "Snuba" in Aruba}

[ETA- for inhabited island, the island I mentioned before, Tristan de Cunha, is the most remote ]

Last edited:
After reading this I guess guess I need to update mine as I road the BART system in San Francisco and it goes 135 feet under the bay.

Me too. My lowest point is probably somewhere in the DC Metro subway. Either Rosslyn or Woodley Park stations, which I know I've been to, or the lowest point under the Potomac on the way to/from Rosslyn, which seems like it would be lower than Rosslyn itself, but I could find no measurements.

However, what about subsea tunnels? I just checked, and one tunnel I have been through in Norway goes down ~400'.

Hardly something many of us would have experienced, but there is an undersea tunnel between two islands in the Faeroe Islands (between Iceland and Norway) that is 187 meters (613 feet) below sea level.

Directions are based on the direction our plane took to get there. Starting point, Pennsylvania USA.

North: The Atlantic Road, north of Vevang, Norway.
South: Sydney, Australia
East: Sea of Galilee, Israel
West: Sydney, Australia
Highest: Mt. Davis, outside Denver, CO
Lowest: Uncertain. snorkeling a little below Sea Level, I think.

Most remote: On a cruise ship somewhere, I'm sure.

All: I've been to all 50 states.
Your lowest point would actually be the Sea of Galilee, because although it's a freshwater lake, its surface is 696 feet below sea level. The Jordan river flows from it south to the Dead Sea.

Chesapeake tunnel is lower than the 60' scuba dive for me.
I think boots on the ground highest was Mauna Kea visitors information center @9200.

Interesting. That reminded me that I once went in a coal mine under the Atlantic Ocean -- the Ocean Deeps Colliery in Glace Bay, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. I can't recall or find out how deep it is, but you're starting on the shore at sea level and going down for a while in an elevator.

Last edited:
Interesting. That reminded me that I once went in a coal mine under the Atlantic Ocean -- the Ocean Deeps Colliery in Glace Bay, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. I can't recall or find out how deep it is, but you're starting on the shore at sea level and going down for a while in an elevator.

Probably not that deep.

Ocean Deeps Colliery was never a working mine, it is an artifical mine, a mine replica, but it is more than a fun tourist draw. It is located underground, beneath the Museum building, and shows the various types of coal mining and mining techniques. ... The mine looks like a real mine, 600 meters beneath the Atlantic.

Yellowknife
Manila
Brunei
Kuala Lumpur
Instanbul

Have not included Hawaii nor Alaska.

These are some of the interesting places spent significant time in.

Height was pulling a travel trailer from Denver to Steamboat Springs during a downpour.

Depth was driving across Death Valley.

Most remote was a Dew Line radar site at Holberg BC only accessible by seaplane.

North Cochrane, Ontario
South Ka Lae, Hawaii
South mainland Key West marker
West Snorkle boat off coast of Ni'ihau, Hawaii
East Whiting, Maine
Highest by car Mauna Kea, HI
Highest by foot Almost to the top of Mt. Shasta, CA and/or Top of Medicine Bow Peak, WY
Most remote Underground in the Vanguard #1 or #3 Coal mine, Hanna, WY 1977
or Underground in the Dilworth Mine under the Monongahela River, PA
Deepest Sub in Maui
Deepest, longest, "remotest" unplanned journey by foot over time Weekly
examination of return airways underground in the Pittsburgh #8
seam from the Monongahela River to the Ohio River. (except for
4 miles thru the Vesta mines, because it was closed before I started
my career). It took me almost 20 years and employment
assignments to 5 different coal mines before I realized I had walked
that far and that route. Obviously, I didn't walk through the support
barriers between each mine.

Last edited: