FAVORITE CLASS B RVs?

It's not an Airstream thing or a Class B thing - all RV's require constant maintenance. In general, higher quality more expensive units will be more reliable but they all require more maintenance than a house or car.

Imagine your house experiencing an earthquake everyday!:LOL:

It's not an Airstream thing or a Class B thing - all RV's require constant maintenance. In general, higher quality more expensive units will be more reliable but they all require more maintenance than a house or car.

For sure!!!

Arriva by Coach House

I have a true class B van. Made by Coach House near Tampa Florida. Twin beds, dry bath, MB Sprinter 2500 dual rear wheels. Coachhouserv.com

I drive a 2018 Airstream interstate extended version. I bought new. It is pretty. It's fun to drive. BUT..... all the bells and whistles means there is always something needing attention. If you buy new, count on spending time getting warranty work done. And where are you? Where are you getting work done? Not all Mercedes dealers do service on these rigs. Even ones that do don't always know what they are doing. I ended up driving back and forth from SC to Ohio to the Airstream factory. When you go to the factory, they have all the parts and get everything done, but they are booked. I make sure I have an appointment booked every year...just in case. BUT......with 2 different companies...Airstream and Mercedes, sometimes you go round and round about who's responsible for what. For example, the camera system is Airstream...but it's tied to the safety system that is Mercedes. If you get Air ride suspension, which you definitely need...that's Airstream and they removed all the standard Mercedes suspension to install it. Today I spent all day at a solar installer because Airstream won't look at anything they didn't install. They weren't installing boondocking packages when I had mine done so now I have someone else I work with. I highly recommend you have solar and lithium batteries in the Interstate if you are going to be sleeping in it.

I do consider the bed comfortable. If you use the shower, it's a wet bath...you basically sit on the toilet and shower. That's the biggest complaint. And it's what they call a "navy shower". Rinse, turn off water, soap up, turn on water, rinse. You can easily fill your gray tank 30% with one shower. And, there's no hot water tank. It's supposed to be "instant hot water" but it's not so instant. So there's waste waiting for hot water. At campgrounds, I usually use their showers.

Mine came with Garmin RV navigation system. I have not been happy with that and mostly rely on my phone. It is not always as quick to pick up accidents and road closures like my Google. And it sometimes adds 20-30 extra miles to a trip.

Others mentioned being handy and doing things yourself....yes, you can. There's all kinds of YouTube how tos...BUT...more often than not, it's quite the challenge. Many times you are trying to work in small spaces with limited lighting leading to abrasions on your knuckles, blood and band-aids.

Test drive it on the freeway! Listen to all the noises. You are hauling a house. It's not a quiet luxury ride. Sometimes it drives you crazy trying to figure out where a squeak is coming from; sometimes you barely notice.

Where will you park it. Even if it fits in your driveway, you may not be able to park it at home. I just recently moved to a property where I could park it. I was tired of dealing with the HOA and tired of paying for storage, so I bought a house on 2 acres. You buy for some degree of freedom, but you don't always get freedom and it's a high price to pay for the freedom you get.

Whatever you buy, there are forums for your brand. Even tho you haven't bought yet, you can look at the Airstream forum. You can post problems, questions, etc and get feedback...most of the time very quickly. Also each brand has Rally organizations. My first year I did several rallies and met other Airstreamers. I enjoyed meeting fellow airstreamers very much. I've definitely had a few headaches and a few days of total disillusionment with my Airstream, but I'm not ready to give it up yet. Good luck and safe travels!

I've read about the MB diesel engine start countdown problem as described here on
https://thebenztech.com/sprinter-common-repairs and elsewhere on the internet.

"Start count down. '10 & up "Bluetec" Sprinters will start counting down how many more times the van can be started if there is an issue with the DEF Adblue system. If DEF is not added and it runs out, or Nox sensors fail or any other components for DEF/Adblue system fail-it will enter "Start countdown" It is imperative that the Sprinter is brought in before it gets down to it's last few counts as it gets more difficult & expensive to diagnose what was wrong/fix/verify if not many starts left. Depending on the year/software in engine computer it will start at 16 or 9 starts remaining. "
It seems a real PITA when it happens and bad enough to turn some people off from getting a MB diesel. Is this a concern for you who are interested in a MB diesel van?
yes, when I first learned of this, I panicked! But, what Mercedes told me is that you should not let your DEF levels get too low and it likely won't happen. So I refill my DEF when it gets close to half. I've had mine since 2018 and so far, so good

We have a 23 Winnebago Travato KL, great camper van it’s our second one, upgraded for the lithium system with unlimited power to run everything including A/C. Great open floor plan, easy to drive, Promaster chassis so cheaper repairs and service centers everywhere, 18mpg. So great to travel with something so easy and have kitchen, bathroom etc always with you and be able to park anywhere.

My favorite Class B RV? The free kind ��. My sister purchased a class B RV 3 years ago and she invites me once a year on a sibling-bonding trip so I get all the advantages and none of the inconveniences.

We're in Europe so our RV options are quite different from the US. The base is a Fiat Ducato van (diesel-powered) which was outfitted by Hymer. It sleeps 3 comfortably, it has a small kitchen and a fully-functional bathroom, though it is tiny. I will say that, while the Fiat base has proven reliable and easy to maintain, she's had a few issues with the work done by Hymer. They used high-quality materials for the cabinets and the soft furnishings for example, but some things like the faucets were absolute garbage. They had to be replaced promptly, which was disappointing.

We're leaving in a couple of days for a 2-week trip through the Swiss and Austrian Alps but the van has already been all over Europe and my sister is seriously considering become a full-timer in retirement. Her partner is on board, so it may actually happen.

I keep pondering getting a van of my own, though if I get one it will be a VW California. I prefer shorter trips and having all the conveniences is not such a priority for me. In fact, my partner and I camped out of our SUV a couple of times and it wasn't bad at all for 3-4 days at a time. We have a nice mattress that fits in the back and we sleep well enough on it though it is a bit claustrophobic - and inconvenient to get out through the trunk hatch when nature calls in the middle of the night��. So a California would be a nice upgrade.

yes, when I first learned of this, I panicked! But, what Mercedes told me is that you should not let your DEF levels get too low and it likely won't happen. So I refill my DEF when it gets close to half. I've had mine since 2018 and so far, so good

How fast does it use DEF?

DEF looks cheap enough...$10 for 2.5 gallons at my local Wal-Mart.

Even cheaper in bulk.

My MB 2020 Sprinter holds 5 gallons of DEF. It uses 2.5 gallons about every 5000 miles.

Have had a 2004 Pleasure Way Excel TS for 10 years and it has been very good to us for the most part. Has 125kmi on it of which we used 60kmi or so. King-size bed and most other basic necessities. It's on a Ford E350 V8 chassis that has been problem-free for the most part, just needed replacement door locks and, most recently, a front brake caliper locked up due to master cylinder failure, left us stranded but near a truck repair place so all is well now. AFAIK that can happen to anyone. Also needs a bolt replaced on the exhaust manifold. The Onan generator has had an intermittent starting problem so we go without it. We might be thinking of upgrading if anyone is interested in buying it.

I bought a Ford Transit van like Fed/Ex uses.
One of three new vehicles I’ve ever owned.
Spent $20k on diy conversion to an adventure van. Van cost $51k
Have all the amenities including TV, micro, stove etc.
Some observations:
You can always find a toilet
You can find usually find a shower
RVs can’t carry enough water for you to live like you are at home.
Showers are either military or hobo style……gotta preserve water.
My gas van averages 17 mpg.
Just got back from Alaska road trip. Great fun.
The van has been great fun.
I’m really happy I did the diy route and got what I wanted.
Added bonus, I can take it apart and rebuild it myself.
I believe vans that are professionally built are way over priced

I bought a Ford Transit van like Fed/Ex uses.
One of three new vehicles I’ve ever owned.
Spent $20k on diy conversion to an adventure van. Van cost $51k
Have all the amenities including TV, micro, stove etc.
Some observations:
You can always find a toilet
You can find usually find a shower
RVs can’t carry enough water for you to live like you are at home.
Showers are either military or hobo style……gotta preserve water.
My gas van averages 17 mpg.
Just got back from Alaska road trip. Great fun.
The van has been great fun.
I’m really happy I did the diy route and got what I wanted.
Added bonus, I can take it apart and rebuild it myself.
I believe vans that are professionally built are way over priced

I have been doing much research on camper vans with an emphasis on DYI vans. Matter of fact, I went to an open house yesterday of a company that caters towards these type of builds. I would love to have a van like this. Here is the issues.

1. DW does not want one
2. As you stated they are overpriced despite the recent dropping of price.
3. Difficult to justify a purchase when I am the only one that wants it.

I can partially justify buying one for my new job assignment in CA. This is a traveling nurse position where i would live in the van for 2 weeks per month. For this position, I am responsible for lodging and transportation. They compensate with a higher wage. When not in use, I can rent it out. After speaking with the folks yesterday, it may be difficult to keep the van cool in the Central CA heat of the summer. I do not know.

I have decided to rent one of these builds in Portland on my upcoming trip. I will spend 5 days in a 2016 Dodge Ram Promaster. We will see.

Again, wife does not want it. They are expensive and.......you get the point. We will see.

You can't economically justify an RV any more than you can a boat or airplane. You buy one because you want it and will enjoy it. By the time you factor in the purchase price, maintenance, gas, and campground fees you're miles ahead financially to get a hotel.

We have one because we enjoy it and it lets us stay in rural places where there are no hotels or AirBnBs.

You can't economically justify an RV any more than you can a boat or airplane. You buy one because you want it and will enjoy it. By the time you factor in the purchase price, maintenance, gas, and campground fees you're miles ahead financially to get a hotel.

We have one because we enjoy it and it lets us stay in rural places where there are no hotels or AirBnBs.

Agree 100%. They depreciate like a car. They have more maintenance than a car or house. Campgrounds with full hook up can approach hotel rates. You pay for the freedom to come and go. I used to worry about bedbugs at hotels...now I worry about mice chewing my wires under the rig, wasp nests in vents and birds nesting under my air conditioning cover. It's a different kind of fun with a different set of issues. But if you like solving problems, you'll be constantly challenged. And you'll go places you probably wouldn't have visited because you have it. And you meet a different set of people. In general, Campers are friendly and willing to help out. And they always have an adventure to share and /or recommend.

Yeah, the purpose I would use the RV is to travel from one job location to another without the need to find a hotel. The job requires me to be in one location one day and in another the next. Sometimes these locations can be over 100 miles apart. A RV would allow me to stay in the parking lot of the location without the need to find a hotel.

You are correct. the cost of the build would require me to work this job for a year before I would see the cost of the RV break even. Without the desire to use the RV outside of work it may not be justified. As I stated before, I could rent the RV to assist with the cost.

I am not discarding this idea altogether, but rather look at renting when working. Again, we will see.

The last time I checked the price of class B rentals was a couple years ago but at the time they were about double per day the cost of a hotel. And that was just the rental rate, before the service fees like insurance that the rental company tacks on.

After speaking with the folks yesterday, it may be difficult to keep the van cool in the Central CA heat of the summer. I do not know.
Yeah, the purpose I would use the RV is to travel from one job location to another without the need to find a hotel. The job requires me to be in one location one day and in another the next. Sometimes these locations can be over 100 miles apart. A RV would allow me to stay in the parking lot of the location without the need to find a hotel.

If you mean the California Central Valley, yes it will be uncomfortably warm in the van late spring through early/late fall most years.
You will also need a shady parking location with access to electrical power for a small AC unit through the hotter months.

The last time I checked the price of class B rentals was a couple years ago but at the time they were about double per day the cost of a hotel. And that was just the rental rate, before the service fees like insurance that the rental company tacks on.

I am renting a van for 6 days next month. The cost when it is done is $1700. Depending on hotels, they can range from $125-$200. Naturally, you can find cheaper hotels, but this is the average from my experience. Than in CA the cost of car rentals are around $100 per day or sometimes more. So, at these rates the cost are not far from each other.

This is my first time renting. I did not expect the required insurance you need to purchase along with the taxes. Of course, renting a RV brings more risk than staying at a hotel for sure. I can imagine these risks can bring unwanted cost.

Have a 2020 converted Sprinter van. I will echo a couple comments from previous posters:
- I would never consider this an investment per se but rather an irrational but highly satisfying splurge. Hard to justify the cost from an economic perspective but nothing beats getting out in the middle of nowhere to set your own home base to backcountry ski, mountain bike, hike, etc…
- Regardless of quality of build you will have to enjoy problem solving. As others have said you are driving a mini house around (at times on off road terrain) on the road. Things will come loose, break, etc…. Lots of DIY forums to help guide you.
- We were fortunate enough to create a parking space at our house which I consider crucial. Better handle on security/maintenance and a constant reminder to get in that big rig and go explore. Out of sight, out of mind -> too much $$$ to let it just sit there
- Agree on comments on shower/bathroom - you can find rec centers/campsites where you can grab a shower. We can take shower in the van or off the back outside (European style). After a fun day in Moab, I have used the back to clean up the dirt and dust on the bike and myself. With only 30 gallons one cannot count on this for weeks outing without refilling. Otherwise community/rec centers and camp sites have been my go to option for showers.
- You will meet some of the most authentic/interesting people in the world!

Just thinking about the primary purpose of your contemplated purchase: parking an RV in the hospital parking lot as an alternative to a hotel room is certainly doable. Access to a bathroom in the hospital is usually convenient. But a shower might be tricky in most hospitals, as those are usually reserved for on-call personnel. Some smaller hospitals also lock up the doors after hours so patient visitors don’t enter. I would think the surgeons you work with and the patients you administer care to would expect a well-bathed, well-groomed professional, so daily showers are essential compared to recreational camping. Summers in Central California have pretty sweltering dry temperatures (sometimes a week at a time of 110F), so an RV in a parking lot without electrical hookup is mostly uncomfortable. Perhaps a hotel room during summer months?

Just thinking about the primary purpose of your contemplated purchase: parking an RV in the hospital parking lot as an alternative to a hotel room is certainly doable. Access to a bathroom in the hospital is usually convenient. But a shower might be tricky in most hospitals, as those are usually reserved for on-call personnel. Some smaller hospitals also lock up the doors after hours so patient visitors don’t enter. I would think the surgeons you work with and the patients you administer care to would expect a well-bathed, well-groomed professional, so daily showers are essential compared to recreational camping. Summers in Central California have pretty sweltering dry temperatures (sometimes a week at a time of 110F), so an RV in a parking lot without electrical hookup is mostly uncomfortable. Perhaps a hotel room during summer months?

No, you are right. I agree I should smell good for my patients. I will not be getting a Class B RV for this job. After hearing from you all, I do not think it is wise. If I do go with this idea, I may consider a nicely built trailer like a Oliver Elite that I can pull with my 4Runner. Thank you.

For showers join a local gym.

Back
Top Bottom