Favorite Traffic Apps

Waze for me. It warns about upcoming police hidden or in view.

Sounds great but I don’t see that option on my iPhone.

Look for the settings using the Waze app, not the iphone settings icon. Open Waze, tap the search icon in the lower left, then the gear icon in the upper left, then follow the directions given in the message above.

Thanks to the poster above who pointed out these options.

I just use Google Maps. It has all the color-coded traffic data, lists accidents and construction, etc. Presumably, the same data that Waze displays. And it's usually already installed on Android phones.

+1 I think Waze added some of the traffic features prior to Google Maps, but my "new" phone with the latest Google Maps from a few years back seemed to have all the traffic features that I needed.

It is not clear to me why the preference for Waze still exists.

Look for the settings using the Waze app, not the iphone settings icon. Open Waze, tap the search icon in the lower left, then the gear icon in the upper left, then follow the directions given in the message above.

Thanks to the poster above who pointed out these options.

Thank you!

+1 I think Waze added some of the traffic features prior to Google Maps, but my "new" phone with the latest Google Maps from a few years back seemed to have all the traffic features that I needed.

Does Google Maps give police warnings?

Does Google Maps give police warnings?

I haven't seen that feature on Google Maps. Is that really reliable on side streets? Seems to me it requires a pretty large user base, taking the time to report, for it to be helpful on anything but the a heavily-traveled highway.

Along the same lines, my old TomTom displayed the posted speed limit all the time, so if you missed a sign you'd still know the limit. If Waze did that, it might be worth switching.

I haven't seen that feature on Google Maps. Is that really reliable on side streets? Seems to me it requires a pretty large user base, taking the time to report, for it to be helpful on anything but the a heavily-traveled highway.

Along the same lines, my old TomTom displayed the posted speed limit all the time, so if you missed a sign you'd still know the limit. If Waze did that, it might be worth switching.

Waze does post the speed limit at all times and of course one's current speed.
Yes, I value the police aspect effectively for the highways.

We had a limo driver earlier this summer who said Waze has ruined his shortcuts when traffic is backed up, because everyone knows them now. He pointed out that people all getting off at a typically little-used exit ramp, which the Waze app was giving as an alternate (which then eased up a lot of the traffic on the standard route, so win-win!).

Different apps for different needs. Waze is better at routing through congested areas and it responds more quickly and more aggressively to changing conditions. It also provides more accurate arrival times.

Google Maps is better if you want to stay on major roads and highways, or if you're walking or taking public transit. It is not as good at avoiding traffic, but it does use the Waze data to tell you how long you're going to be sitting in it.

If you're driving in rural areas or only when there's low traffic, then both apps should give you the same routes.

Thank you, cathy63 for the comparison above.
-gauss

Waze does post the speed limit at all times and of course one's current speed.

That’s one feature that I like with Waze (though it is also available on other GPS platforms like Garmin I think). The speed limit data is not always accurate on Waze though (users can submit corrections). But it is nice to get an audible alert when I exceed the speed limit (the sensitivity of the alert can be adjusted by the user).

One thing Waze eliminated that we miss was the optional celebrity voices. It was so funny to hear Arnold Schwarzenegger’s voice saying “hazard reported ahead. Get down!” [emoji23]

+1 for Waze. Its the best hands down, with its automatic re-routing. In my car anytime there is a debate on best route; the motto is "Trust Waze", particularly navigating into or through NYC area.

Just thought that I would give this a bump and see if there is anything new under the sun over the last year. DS just got back from riding his bike cross-country and was talking up Waze while I am still using Google Maps. Considering making the switch, now that I am retired (and wiser) I don't drive as fast but it would still be nice to have police alerts.

Waze. However you need to be careful and check alternate routes as it will take you off a freeway and through roundabout local streets to save you two minutes.

Just thought that I would give this a bump and see if there is anything new under the sun over the last year. DS just got back from riding his bike cross-country and was talking up Waze while I am still using Google Maps.

Google owns Waze now. They've been steadily implementing Waze features into the standard Maps app. They recently added speed limits, and your current speed. Before that it was speed traps. It really is getting better all the time. At some point it won't matter which you choose. Google Maps is already pre-installed, and I haven't found any need to install any other mapping app.

I just saw the addition of the speed limit and current speed on the Maps app this past week. I wondered if I had never noticed it before (!?!) or if it was something new. I also saw a indicator for a speed trap which I hadn't seen before. Interesting to hear that these are updates and I suppose will be part of Maps from now on. Thanks for mentioning these 2 things.

Use a mix of both. Love Waze in general, but for certain parts of Florida, it gets a little wonky right at the end of the trip. Do like the police warnings though.

I gave up on Waze and deleted it. Google Maps is as good or better on the routing and traffic. I found Waze to have enough misses/false positives on police as to be worthless. Also, as an old f@rt, I don't speed much anymore...... :)

I use Waze, but as has been mentioned, they all have the problem of taking you off the beaten path just to save a few miles. I wish they had a setting to force staying on the main expressways.

The main thing to do with all apps is get a handle on your trip, if possible, ahead of time. Knowing your preferred path in advance is best. The app will recalculate as soon as you take the preferred path, as in stay on the expressway, yet still be useful as you get closer and have to navigate the secondary streets.

One thing I do like about Waze is the function that tells you your estimated arrival time. Not sure if others do that, but I like knowing that at a glance.

Back
Top Bottom