Feds to allow use of Medicare data to rate doctors

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
This is news and quite a surprise. Something that could be quite useful, and at the same time, have some very unfortunate results. Hopefully, some use guidelines will published along with the access. Feds to allow use of Medicare data to rate doctors - Yahoo! News

The government announced Monday that Medicare will finally allow its extensive claims database to be used by employers, insurance companies and consumer groups to produce report cards on local doctors and hospitals.

This has been done before. The root of the problem is that medicare uses odd diagnosis codes (ICD9) while the real world uses a much different approach. If I am billing for a visit for chest pain, I might use the code for chest pain, rib pain, angina, pleurisy, shingles, sprained rib, nonspecific chest pain, or any of dozens of others. Each has its unique ICD9 code. Some doctors (like me) use the most specific code supported by the available findings while others use more general codes. You can see where the problems might arise using this data for research or comparison of practices.

BTW, there is an ICD9 code for "sucked into a jet engine." I haven't used it yet.

This has been done before. The root of the problem is that medicare uses odd diagnosis codes (ICD9) while the real world uses a much different approach. If I am billing for a visit for chest pain, I might use the code for chest pain, rib pain, angina, pleurisy, shingles, sprained rib, nonspecific chest pain, or any of dozens of others. Each has its unique ICD9 code. Some doctors (like me) use the most specific code supported by the available findings while others use more general codes. You can see where the problems might arise using this data for research or comparison of practices.
A helpful explanation. Thanks. This looks like something with potential, also some unintended consequences.
BTW, there is an ICD9 code for "sucked into a jet engine." I haven't used it yet.
O geez. I have a hard time visualizing the patient in your waiting room that would merit such a coding.

Back
Top Bottom